Crashing since patch

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by gfeier, Apr 22, 2011.

1. gfeier

gfeier King

I've been gently exiting to the desktop every few turns since the patch. Any suggestions besides opening a ticket? Actually, this started right after I downloaded Polynesia. Don't know if that's a coincidence or not.:mad:

2. achabot

achabot Chieftain

No problem for me with that patch (other than the funny graphics at times), but I'll hold off Polynesia while this issue is trashed out here.

3. gfeier

gfeier King

Well, I submitted a ticket. Of course, with the long weekend...

4. forty2j

forty2j King

I got through 90% of the Polynesia scenario last night without even a hint of slowdown.

Don't be surprised if the answer has to do with heat issues on your own Mac.. it's fascinating how often these go unnoticed until right after some kind of patch or DLC.

5. gfeier

gfeier King

I haven't actually played Polynesia, It's just that the timing of the problem made me think about it. Civ V doesn't get the machine nearly as hot as running SETI@home all out on all cores. I monitor the temp pretty closely and Civ is about 8º C cooler than SETI at the northbridge heat sink which tends to be the hottest part of the system.

6. gfeier

gfeier King

Aspyr tech support was very responsive. It looks like I just had some of the graphics options set too high. I went back to the default settings and had no problems. Funny that was never a problem before but I'd also never gotten this far into a game.

7. forty2j

forty2j King

Glad to hear you got help.

I stand corrected on my earlier "no slowdown" claim. Today, while finishing the scenario, I had an unlikely confluence of events: 2 of my Tiremes, 2 hexes apart, were sunk simultaneously; this dropped my "pointy sticks" count enough to trigger the "Ha ha you're weak" diplomacy popup from someone. Took about 3 minutes for this all to happen.. didn't crash though.