Crashing? :[

Airrifle48942

Warlord
I downloaded the spectacular mod (I managed to play a bit thankfully :D) and I unzipped it (with 7zip, I didn't download with Desura either) in to the mods folder (my D: drive one, the one I am using). I then opened the CIV4 application and went to Advanced, nothing happened after 10 minutes. So I tried again and YAY! It started! But not for long, but before it crashed again I gotta say the theme music was a funny choice (Montezuma is a douchebag XD) and it came up with an error. I don't remember what it said because I can't get that far again but it didn't close the game (I think it told me to lower my graphics settings...) and I started as Mexico on the Terra map. I loved it, but then it crashed on the verge of 20,000 BCE so I started it up again, error again and played as the Galactic Israeli people, played a little then quit to see if I could play as England.

The current problem is really that when I start it, I get the loading screen (I had the same problem with Civ5 only that Civ5 doesn't look good so I didn't bother again) and then crash followed by a pop sound, it just closes.

So, does anyone know if I did anything wrong?

(By the way, I did actually before it did the pop-crash changed my graphics to lowest and then to medium again.)

I'm using a Windows 7, BTS 3.19 (with WL) and if there's any other information I can provide I'll see if I can. I'm just wondering what went wrong. :]

I have 42 GB on my C: Drive (which is not where it is) but 197 GB on my D: Drive.
And as for the 64bit I am not sure what that really means (I know NOTHING about computers sorry D:).

Oh, a pity...
4 GB RAM and 32 bit :/
Oh well. I'm just wondering why it was working temporarily.

4GB should be sufficient to run the mod. Not for giant maps, but else it should run fine. You'll only be able to use ~3.5GB of these 4GB due to being limited by the 32bit architecture (or what Microsoft did with it), but even that is fine.
You coudl enable the 3GB switch to be able to assign more RAM to Civ4, but I'm not sure you're comfortable with that.

Anyway, the game should even start without that switch, so it may be some other issue (or your RAM is really broken).

Possible issues I can think of:
- MOD broken, delete the existing, redownload and try again
- other programs occupying too much RAM
- Virus/Trojans
- faulty RAM

There should be a "MiniDump.dmp" file in your "/Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/" directory if your game crashed. Take that and note down any possible error message and re-post those in the sticky thread, where the developers can take a look at it.

It did say that I had to lower my graphics settings, so that might be an issue. I do a virus scan with Anvisoft and I haven't had one for a while. But thanks anyway, I'll have a look for this MiniDump file :]

Should I also try closing everything in the background and then start it up?

No good, MiniDump file empty and with programmes in the background closed it works less now XD I guess I'm just gonna uninstall it and use the leftover 1.1 GB for something else. Thanks for the help anyway :}

4GB should be sufficient to run the mod. Not for giant maps, but else it should run fine. You'll only be able to use ~3.5GB of these 4GB due to being limited by the 32bit architecture (or what Microsoft did with it), but even that is fine.
You coudl enable the 3GB switch to be able to assign more RAM to Civ4, but I'm not sure you're comfortable with that.

Comfortable or not, it has to be done. Windows32bit won't use more than 2GB without it. No one should have sold him a computer with as 32Bit OS and 4GB RAM. To be honest, I'd say the better choice would be to upgrade to a 64bit OS.

It's fine, I'll just uninstall it :I I'm not tech savvy so I won't bother.
I don't even know how to lower my graphics settings XD (Sorry for the late reply).

I figured I should post this here rather than making a new thread.

Attached is a save file of my most recent game. Unfortunately, just as the game started to get very interesting (I just conquered Northern and Eastern India, and am trying to control an ongoing rebellion and insurgency from the local freedom fighters), it has gotten the very annoying habit of crashing every single turn. I load the game, I play a turn, end turn, play the next, hit end turn, immediate crash. So I have to start the whole game over to progress even a single turn. I have tried to open up world builder in the hopes that perhaps killing off a few civs might make the game playable again, but I get a MAF everytime I open worldbuilder.

Is there any way to fix this game or is it totally borked?

Attachments

• Yu BC-0005.rar
    5.6 MB · Views: 29
Top Bottom