1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy capitals today never seen before

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ChiefTonfa, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ChiefTonfa

ChiefTonfa Prince

ok so this was a big deal for me today. i have been playing civ for almost a year, almost every day. and i've seen tons of maps. especially since i load new ones if i dont like the start. and something i've never before seen, and so i thought it was impossible, was marble and stone in your capital. i thought there was some rule about them being apart, cause i never ever saw them within one cities radius of each other. maybe on like earth 18 with egypt, but never on a random map. and today, it happened! and i was shocked. i planned on posting it, and basically saying what i just did. but i kept playing, and got some new maps. and it happened again! i couldn't believe it. i've never seen them in the same city before ever, and now it happened twice. and i just realized i guess i could've worldbuildered that, but i wouldn't waste anyone's time. im genuinely shocked, as anyone else got them in the same capital or even city before?

2. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

lools like you've have a head start with wonders

3. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

Wow :eek: Never seen that before. What kind of map is it?

EDIT: yeah I've seen start locations with lots of resources - just never stone AND marble together

4. ianfuture

ianfuture Chieftain

yeah i've seen it a few times.
    think once i started with 5 resources in big fat cross, but was too hemed in by other civs and desert and ocean to exploit it and expand etc so i got well and truly beaten quite quickly

I.

5. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

The other day I had a similiar experience, except in a bad way. I started on a peninsula with only about 6 land squares, and north of there was all jungle. I had 1 food source, and that was it. I don't know WHY the game thought THAT'S where i'd like to start ><.

6. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru King

I had one last night with 3 crabs, sheep, horses, and a cow. All grasslands, forested grassland hills, and forest.

7. aday

aday Warlord

I think the xml normally dictates that stone and marble cannot be that close together, but the start location "normalizer" can (and does, obviously) override that limitation. Pretty sweet though, did you play through these games?

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Give me 2 riverside corns (or just 1 with a cow instead, not picky :lol:) and 2-3 gems anyday.

Actually, I'd take a corn or pig over stone or marble consistently.

9. Malchar

Malchar Prince

10. sosasoser

sosasoser Chieftain

My best start ever has to be in my current game. I almost regenerated the map because it was just too good of start. Fish, 2 crabs, corn, cows, gold, 7 flood plain tiles, a single square lake and 5 hills. Playing as Julius. The only drawback to the start...iron was an entire 2 squares out of my capital's BFC ;)

Fractal map (ended up as a pangea), standard size, default number of AIs. 3 rivals dead by 100 AD and a twelve city empire. The beaker slider is still at 70% without yet building a single courthouse or forum. Downside? Game is sooo unchallenging, I can't bring myself to continue it.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

Will this do, not enough food really but beggers can't be choosers. One day i'm going to go back and play this again. it's one of two saves i've always kept.

Spoiler :

12. ChiefTonfa

ChiefTonfa Prince

i did play but did not do well. i usually dont build wonders these days so it wasn't actually any help. i agree corn or pig is usually better than stone or marble.

13. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

I've started with atleast 4 fish right next to my capital before.

.... I like to eat fish.

14. xchen08

xchen08 King

One time, on a Tectonics map, I started with a modest city: copper, sheep, 2 crabs, and a river, but my only neighbor on the island, Kublai Khan started with 2 fish, 3 clams, 1 corn, 1 horse, 2 rivers, and no ocean tiles in his fat cross. Needless to say, as soon as I realized this, I immediately switched to a war footing and hit him (since I was Rome) as soon as I hooked up Iron. Once I took the city, I found that 4 of the 5 seafood had fishing boats already, and one of the clams had pearls. That city ended up driving my empire for most of the game, since my island was kind of crappy, with only 1 good city site other than the capitals, and both marble and stone in inaccessible locations that required the building of junk cities.

15. pesgores

pesgores Deus Vult!

No pics, but I once started a Standard Terra map with Portugal and there were FIVE, FIVE elephants inside the radius of the capital.

16. Kanzera

Kanzera LOLOLOLOL

Once, when I was playing on a PerfectWorld map, Tokugawa had about 6 clams outside his capital city. I was so jealous...

17. ChiefTonfa

ChiefTonfa Prince

i actually got a map today with 5 elephants in the capital, and even one more just outside. that's all there was, on a river, and one food resource like pig or corn.

18. Malician

Malician Chieftain

Got this earlier. The gold and silver both popped later in the game.

Not a bad capitol - pigs, cows, non-irrigated grassland corn, wine, 3 furs in BFC. The fact that horses, copper, stone, and marble were all nearby + the river and the silver and gold popping made this ridiculous.

Having fur, gold, and ivory early game makes few happiness worries.. esp. when wine came online.