Crazy start ...

BlueSoxSWJ

Chieftain
Continents, small, 5 civs, Noble, normal speed, standard settings except diplo win turned off. Sure glad I start with a scout instead of a warrior. :mischief:

Um....uh....anyone want to go Sailing? Least the food's good...

Well there's a slavery capital if I ever saw one. And I'm guessing most of what you'll be whipping will float.

BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE TIDE RISES?

If you peek through the fog, it looks like most of the surrounding land is either ice/tundra or desert. :eek: Still, I think it is winnable on Noble. There was a thread like this in General Discussions a few months back where a player had a one tile island (he ended up losing, but it was still close). Beeline to Sailing and go from there.

You might want to post a save too in case others want to try...

Sorry, I didn't keep a save, just a screenshot :-/

A while back I saw an AI stuck on a 1 tile island, but that was custom continents, not regular continents, which I've found plays more like archipelago if you put any more than 3 continents.

P.S. I did win the game, though it was closer than most noble games are for me. The land to the East was a really small island, mostly desert (and useless), with just the wine and, later, oil. Yes, that's ice to the North. West, however, was really great land after a small desert, including a site with 3 FPs, gold, iron, and corn that I think the game meant to be my capital, lol.

if you haven't started a new game since this one you still have the 4000BC autosave in the autosave folder !

If you peek through the fog, it looks like most of the surrounding land is either ice/tundra or desert. :eek: Still, I think it is winnable on Noble. There was a thread like this in General Discussions a few months back where a player had a one tile island (he ended up losing, but it was still close). Beeline to Sailing and go from there.

Wasn't that a OCC though :crazyeye:?

This start is very winnable on noble and probably significantly higher, unless the ENTIRE surrounding area is desert. Once he gets a single galley he can basically shuttle everything over as if the galley were a bridge, a mobile bridge if need be.

Fishing is a priority if he doesn't have it (I think he might), then sailing, then BW. Start the whipping...

Things to mention:

- "colonial" maintenance could get really annoying, so moving the capitol may be needed unless he can settle multiple smaller landmasses.

- He should get GLH if possible. 1-2 more islands like this and later foreign trade with other continents can be awesome. I try to get it by 1000 BC to make sue I get it. Small map with fewer civs on noble he can probably get away with grabbing it later.

Wasn't that a OCC though :crazyeye:?

This start is very winnable on noble and probably significantly higher, unless the ENTIRE surrounding area is desert. Once he gets a single galley he can basically shuttle everything over as if the galley were a bridge, a mobile bridge if need be.

Fishing is a priority if he doesn't have it (I think he might), then sailing, then BW. Start the whipping...

Things to mention:

- "colonial" maintenance could get really annoying, so moving the capitol may be needed unless he can settle multiple smaller landmasses.

- He should get GLH if possible. 1-2 more islands like this and later foreign trade with other continents can be awesome. I try to get it by 1000 BC to make sue I get it. Small map with fewer civs on noble he can probably get away with grabbing it later.

I did indeed move the capital, since I had that capital-worthy city up quickly. I did not start with fishing. (Glad I wasn't on a one tile island then, zero growth and a citizen for a few turns :crazyeye:) The bad news was, I was behind from the early going. The good news was, the game just played like a Prince game to start, and transitioned back to noble. The land to the east had the four visible (or partly) forest tiles, the wine, and nothing else but desert (which later popped oil, whoopee :mischief:). The coast to the West was indeed desert, for 2-3 tiles into the land, before it turned into FPs then grassland.

Starting techs were in fact hunting and agriculture, probably the two worst for this start, meaning I actually needed to beeline fishing, sailing, mining, and bronze working.

Finally, the last thing that made this game easily winnable is that there were no real religion hogs. Saladin founded Hinduism and stuck with it; Monty got Buddhism; and ... I got Judaism. Even with all those other techs to stress about, I ended up controlling all but the first two religions, which I then used to make :) with Genghis and Pacal (they were on my continent), while the other continent (Monty + Saladin with different religions) was a no-show.

That would be me. :) (I think)

I was a lot worse back then. Since, I've created a few one tile island OCC starts for myself and won at least 3, and that's on Noble, my original (non WB'd) one tile island game was on SETTLER and I still lost it. :lol:

Top Bottom