Create your dream game!

Phrossack

Armored Fish and Armored Men
Right, so, I couldn't find any similar thread in the archives, and A&E and the Other Games forums are where threads go to die, so I've started it here.

This thread is simples. Just explain your idea of the perfect game. I'm thinking video or computer games, but I guess other game ideas like tightrope wrestling or Monopoly Boxing are okay too.

My dream game is Renaissance: Total War. It would be the missing link between M2TW and Empire, and span from either 1530-1699 or 1500-1699. It could cover either the usual Europe+the Med and Middle East map, or Empire's map, which includes all that plus the Americas and India. Ideally, it would include the whole world, but that's unlikely.

Spoiler detailed description :
The period has a lot of interesting events and figures: Charles V and his short-lived but huge empire and his struggles with the French and the Turks, the Italian Wars, the Landsknechts and Swiss, Henry VIII and Elizabeth, Ivan the Terrible, the vicious galley raid/slave trade cycle, Lepanto, Malta, Vienna, the rise of the Ottoman, Mughal, and Safavid empires, Babur, Suleiman, the Thirty Years' War, Bogdan Khmelnitsky, the Protestant Reformation and French Wars of Religion, Cortes, Pizarro, the Incas and Aztecs, and a million other things.

Naval combat would vary from place to place. In the Med, it would involve almost entirely galley combat with classic ramming and boarding. However, musketeers would pose a threat to commanders, and cannons mounted in the ships' bows could deliver a lot of extra damage after ramming. In the North Sea and Atlantic, as well as the Indian Ocean when the Portuguese arrive, larger sailing ships with many cannons would dominate, eventually leading to the ships of Empire. Privateering and raiding naval supply lines could net you ships and money while weakening your enemies, though not without cost and political risk.

Land combat would be pretty standard. In much of Europe, pikemen would dominate for much of the game and slowly give way to increasing numbers of shot, and cavalry would gradually change from the glorious fully-armored and mighty gendarmes to the pathetic unarmored pansies of the era of Empire. If at all possible, it would be nice for horses and riders to have separate hitpoints, so that horses could be killed while their riders survive and fight on foot. Armies would need to keep regularly supplied on the campaign map or suffer desertion, death, and reduced morale and stamina in battle. Cavalry charges with lances could impale enemy riders and horses rather than just bumping into them harmlessly like in M2TW, and lances could break on impact, reducing the effectiveness of later charges. The baggage train could keep your army supplied on the map and serve as a place to fortify and restock ammo and lances during the battle, but it would slow the army down. Furthermore, you'd have to spend a lot of money to get a baggage train, and it would be a capturable point on the battle map. If the enemy captured it in battle, they'd gain a partly loaded baggage train for free, as well as some money and a morale boost. However, baggage trains would lure undisciplined units during the battle if lightly defended, and it could be disastrous for you if some of your troops abandoned the fight at a critical moment to loot. This happened constantly in battles of the age, and would add a totally new and fun feature.

Sieges could be fairly basic affairs at first, with an option to make them huge, exhausting, epic events. Reading about the sieges of Vienna, Malta, and Rhodes left me a little dissatisfied with the simplistic, quick, easy sieges of Total War. In this era, they would involve a lot of castles at first, later shifting to bastions and star forts that could resist cannonade. There could be undermining, countermining, sallies, digging artillery trenches overnight that steadily drew nearer to the walls, petards, building mounds of dirt used to overlook the walls and rain death upon them, and many other things. No longer could you gather a few hundred men and a few catapults or cannons and conquer half of Italy in a few turns; it would take years and a lot of effort to take that much land by force.

I'd like for there to be the possibility of personal unions that temporarily link factions (think Charles V), as well as Imperial elections. The HRE would actually be several factions, perhaps the seven electorates. The electors would choose the Emperor, either from one of their family members or from some foreign faction with good ties to them, and intrigue over the elections could cause wars.

2004 Red Sox versus 1992-93 Manchester United in a battle for hockey greatness.

Starcraft: Brood War but with automatch making on the ladder and resources to construct buildings are committed when the command is given and not when the unit arrives to the construction location

baseball already is my dream game.

My dream game is Renaissance: Total War. It would be the missing link between M2TW and Empire, and span from either 1530-1699 or 1500-1699. It could cover either the usual Europe+the Med and Middle East map, or Empire's map, which includes all that plus the Americas and India. Ideally, it would include the whole world, but that's unlikely.

I assume the answer to this question is yes, but I will ask anyway: Have you played anything from the Europa Universalis series? It focuses more on grand strategy (and AI abuse) than troop management, but you might otherwise find it interesting. If all else fails, just watch some let's play.

A Master of Orion III that doesn't suck.

This.

But I like fantasy games better than space games because fantasy music is just better. Regarding the original post, hmm. I will have to think on it. Personally I struggle with finishing games and constantly saving and reloading and trying to make everything perfect.

An open world cyberpunk role playing game. Think Deus Ex meets Morrowind.
CD Project Red (the Witcher guys) are working on one set in the Cyberpunk 2020 world that has an estimated 2015 release date, but knowing them, lets try late 2016.

An open world post apocalyptic game that doesn't involve fantasy.

An open world post apocalyptic game that doesn't involve fantasy.
That actually sounds pretty damn cool. I love post-apocalyptic stuff & generally dislike fantasy/supernatural/magical stuff, The Stand was a great book until it started getting all supernatural.

Instead of Civilization from the 4000BC (or whenever they start from now) it could be from 2100AD with different scenarios, post-nuclear war, post-massive-global warming, MadMax type world, etc.

I used to be passionate about designing games when I was a kid but not so much anymore. Everytime I played a Nintendo or new board game I would tweak it &/or combine it with other games trying to keep the best elements & subtract the worst. I still have a couple of board games I made lying around @ my mom's place.

A dream job would be to create a game that actually encouraged community involvement (instead of decreasing it) or positive habits. Elta was also interested in this path & is probably more likely to actually do something to that end than me unless I manage to become something more than a professional underachiever (thanks to a game Elta invents maybe?).

Crusader Kings II with Total War style battles. In Total War the characters don't really feel like an organic part of the campaign but something that was slapped on in an attempt to give battles some roleplaying value, and CKII's weak point has always been the incomprehensible warfare. For TW players it would finally feel like battles had meaning outside of "expanding ur territory" and for Crusader Kings players it would be the perfect character driven historical sim.

Caveman 2 Cosmos but with turns fast enough to play with a super large map on my old computer.

A more expanded Supreme Commander with better optimization.

An Elder Scrolls game with one mechanic borrowed from Civ. Each of the guilds, factions, houses in the game is, like the rival civs in SP Civ, working toward something it would regard as "victory" at this historical moment (and like Civ there can be multiple kinds of victory). Those potential victories are the climaxes of the plot. Your character, as per usual for ES games, can get involved in one of those quests for victory as much or as little as he or she wishes. But even if you don't, the guilds develop and deploy their resources (NPCs) to make progress toward that victory. So, NPCs go exploring dungeons to claim magic items, etc, important to the victory condition they are trying to achieve.

One step closer, in other words, to a truly living world. Even if your character goes fishing for the whole game, the NPCs in the game will continue to make their way toward the cataclysmic event (or one of, say, six of them) that, in a usual ES game represents the main plot. That way, not only can you, as now, do different things in the world depending on what kind of character you play; the world itself will play out differently every time you play the game, rather than just sitting there as a relatively static background for your character's adventuring.

The main problem with most game software companies by now is that they are way too much about franchises/profit and very little about creativity. I suppose this was brought largely by the monopoly of the PC since the early 90s, cause prior to that most computer game companies were smallish but highly prolific and artistic, and the games from that era reflect that (not much chance there will be a nea 'Another World' ever gaining momentum).

The internet obviously also changed things. For starters virtually all strategy games produced in dvd form are now 3d-engine based, while freeware online/opesource strategy games tend to be 2d/2,5d.
Some opensource games rise to fame. Wasn't Minecraft opensource originally?

Paradox Interactive+Sid Meier's Civilization.

In space.

That actually sounds pretty damn cool. I love post-apocalyptic stuff & generally dislike fantasy/supernatural/magical stuff, The Stand was a great book until it started getting all supernatural.

Instead of Civilization from the 4000BC (or whenever they start from now) it could be from 2100AD with different scenarios, post-nuclear war, post-massive-global warming, MadMax type world, etc.

I used to be passionate about designing games when I was a kid but not so much anymore. Everytime I played a Nintendo or new board game I would tweak it &/or combine it with other games trying to keep the best elements & subtract the worst. I still have a couple of board games I made lying around @ my mom's place.

A dream job would be to create a game that actually encouraged community involvement (instead of decreasing it) or positive habits. Elta was also interested in this path & is probably more likely to actually do something to that end than me unless I manage to become something more than a professional underachiever (thanks to a game Elta invents maybe?).

Isn't this more or less what Beyond Earth is trying to do?

I had some ideas I wrote somewhere. One of them was Spore with an emphasis on science instead of cuteness, and with actual depth. I'll dig it up when I go home.

Spoiler :
Good thread, OP. Well done.

Something simple. Like an online card game. Maybe 2v2 teams. Can even use a simplified standard card deck, say from 9 to Ace. Then take turns having somebody lead, where everyone has to follow suit and the team with the highest card wins and plays again. Then start throwing in some twists to keep it interesting. Maybe have a changing trump suit. Maybe make the trump suit do something weird like make the Jacks high card instead of Aces, but only for a couple suits. Put in an interesting bidding mechanic whereby trump is selected each deal and throw in some buried cards each round to boot. That sounds fun.

For computer games, I would love to see an RPG in which I really feel like my character is a driving force in the developing story. I want the world and characters around me to be reacting to me, and it's not just me reacting to them. For the most part, when I play RPGs I feel like I'm just being told a story, not making choices that effect the plot, the setting or the characters.

I can imagine this would be a tough nut to crack, but I see things in gaming that suggest it's possible. You would either need an insanely complex web of scripted, Choose Your Own Adventure-style, action-result options, or a kind of AI that can actually decide how NPCs behave on the fly. Some games have pretty decent combat-AI, and have for years. I recall being (un)pleasantly surprised when soldiers lobbed grenades at me in Half-Life 2 if I was behind cover, and that was 10 years ago. Civ V has pretty complex AI that includes personality traits and individual goals (although the war-fighting AI in Civ is abominable).

I also cannot play another RPG set in a generic, sword-and-sorcery fantasy setting. Maybe ever. I'd love to see a (good) game set in China Mieville's New Crobuzon or something equally inventive.

Top Bottom