1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Creating a new Resource (big dreams, feeling lost)

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Alqamar Alaswad, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Alqamar Alaswad

Alqamar Alaswad Chieftain

Hello there; I have decided to try my hand at modding and to begin I would like to add a new resource.

(Zebras, as some days ago I dreamed about having this in Civ VI:
    (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lovecrafts-dreamlands-chaosium-2315-1794457212)

Something like a Scout-riding-a-Zebra unit. In fact, I dreamt about making a H.P.Lovecraft's Dreamlands for Civ VI!

Going straight to the point, I have been looking for a tutorial, and I'm feeling completely lost.

Following this guide (https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Modding_(Civ6)/Basics_of_Mod_Creation) I installed, then opened ModBuddy.

There's no default option to create a new Resource. Is it so difficult?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

2. ChrisWJN

ChrisWJN Chieftain

Your best bet might be just to look for a mod on the workshop that adds a new resource, and subscribe to it. You can find the files for it in Steam/steamapps/common/workshop/content/289070. Try to copy what they've done there, and if you're missing any info look at the base game files, found in Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data. I've only recently started modding, and from what I've found, guides and references online are very scarce. Most of what you learn is going to have to be derived from copying other people's/the games' code, and figuring out what it does and what it means.

Alqamar Alaswad likes this.
  3. Alqamar Alaswad

Thanks! I will try to do that, then ask more questions as I go on. :)

4. Alqamar Alaswad

So far, so good.

1) I think I have found all the lines of code that "define" the "RESOURCE" "HORSES" and the *.dds files that contain the Horse icon. No serious problems so far...

5. isau

isau Deity

Look in the commented out portions of my Combined Tweaks mod for Scythia's unique resource (Mysterium). Should be implemented in the Civ_Code sql file in the Gameplay folder. It is no longer used but provides an example. In ArtDefs and Dependencies you ca see how I reused an existing visual asset (shipwrecks).

6. Alqamar Alaswad

Thanks a lot, Isau! I will take a look at it. You said 'unique resource'. Does that mean that only Scythia can use it? That's an interesting idea, even if it's not exactly what I was thinking of.

I have to say I have begun a new game using your Quo's Combined Tweaks mod and I love it. I cannot wait for the release of your Spheres of Intrigue. In fact, I love everything you have done, so far. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  7. isau

isau Deity

Yes, only Scythia could see it, altho it never worked perfectly. It worked by setting the resource reveal Civic to something super late in the tree and unveiling the resource manually with a Modifier. I removed the resource from gameplay though because of how it interacted with the rest of the game.