Creating Custom Units

Kaleg Nar

Chieftain
Hello, I've been trying to create some custom units lately and have run into issues with replacing the unit image and Leonardo's, hence I'm looking for some help with that.

Replacing unit images: I've used GIMP (recent version) and XnView (March 2012 version) to try creating the gif with, but so far that hasn't truly worked. With both I've gotten black pentagons for my units instead of, well, units. With GIMP I've exported it to save as a gif file instead of a GIMP file (otherwise I'd get invisible units). With XnView I took a gif file, saved it as a gif with XnView, and the same issue occurred. So what would I need to do to actually replace the images? (Assuming the forum lets a first-time poster attach an image, I'll have the current gif file I'm working with attached at the end of this post.)

Leonardo's: Is there an easy way to get custom units upgraded with Leonardo's Workshop? I tried making a test unit come with Feudalism and obsolete with Iron working, but it didn't upgrade to a legion, hence I'm guessing there's more to it than just setting its obsolete tech. So how would I make my custom units upgrade? (Out of the 7, there are two I added that are essentially precursors to Marines and three that, while Leonardo's would be obsolete by then, are upgrades on other units.)

Side third question: Is there a way to make sea units be able to establish trade routes? I could make a sea unit carry trade goods, but it never gave me the option to establish a trade route when getting to a city.
Side fourth question: How would one give a unit the abilities of an engineer or spy compared to the default settler-diplomat?

And for the units in the picture, from left to right: Green Berets, Norsemen, Para Engineers, Nuclear Sub, Nuclear Destroyer, Pirates, Laser Riflemen

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• UNITSst6.gif
    UNITSst6.gif
    53.6 KB · Views: 289
Update: I have figured out how to change the unit pictures. I opened up a copy of the original unit gifs in XnView and opened up the unit gifs with my custom designs (made in GIMP) with XnView too. Then I selected the gifs from the new one, copied them, and replaced them in the copy of the original. (Which I saved as a new gif file.) That allowed the units to finally show up as they are intended. WOOHOO! (And of course I still have a copy of the original in my files in case I ever screw something up and need something that will work for sure.)

Other questions still stand though.

So with units, I've learned, inadverdantly, that the role of a unit (attack, defend, air superiority, etc.) plays a role in determining Leonardo's upgrades, so to my pleasant surprise, the units I've wanted upgraded so far are already upgrading. (another woohoo) But that still leaves the questions of whether or not it's possible to have sea units establish trade routes like a caravan and how to give a unit spy/engineer abilities compared to diplomat/settler abilities.

Welcome to CFC, Kaleg Nar. These type of questions are better suited for scenario creation subforum. I will move this thread there momentarily.

Nope, no way to establish trade routes with sea units. Engineers and Spy both pinned to their slots, so you can't move them around or you'll lose the abilities. Welcome aboard.

Nope, no way to establish trade routes with sea units. Engineers and Spy both pinned to their slots, so you can't move them around or you'll lose the abilities. Welcome aboard.

Alright. Useful to know. Though what is it that pins it to their slot? Is that in the source code or in a .txt somewhere?

It's in the source code.

Top Bottom