Creating the Game World

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
lurker's comment: Just a few suggestions that may help get this going. These are only suggestions, as it's your game, so ignore them if you want. Just thought I'd try and help out.

In my opinion the GM's need to discuss among themselves what sort of world they want to run. What type of landmass, how big it is (square miles and population), it's location, time period, whether it's earth-like, etc, and create it. In my opinion, it is the GM's who need to create the initial game.

As an example let me create a basic world, to better explain what I'm saying. I'd make this a small landmass that is comprised of three decent sized landmasses. The primary landmass is roughly 12 miles wide and 25 miles long. The second landmass is 7 miles wide by 9 miles long. The third landmass is 3 miles wide by 4 miles long. There are a few smaller landmasses as well, but these consist of less than 1 square mile.

This sub-continent was originally controlled by the Japanese during WWII. After the war it was used by many different nations for scientific research, resources, and a minor military station. Up until the 90's there has been little to no "native" population, but in the past decade or two many people from different countries have begun living here on a permanent basis. In the past several years the inhabitants have argued to the UN that the sub-continent should be granted it's own sovereignty. This year the UN has granted that request.

At this point of the creation of our game (in my example) I would state that our "creation" period is the time where the nation is being formed. Talks among the existing nations with research teams currently here, resource mining/trades in progress, or military units here would be decided on by the players. The GM's would set a certain period for the bulk of these discussions to be worked through and at the same time the inhabitants (the players) would create the basics of their nation.

Since the sub-continent doesn't technically have its own race, each player could play a character who is of their own nationality who now lives on the island and either gives us their nations citizenship for this new one, or they play as a "visitor" helping out.

Of course the islands resources would also have to be stated, but I really don't want to get that involved in a simple example. I would put at least one source of fresh water, if not more.

Do you see my point. In my example I (as a GM) created the basics of the world and have given possibilities for the players to interact with it. The players than interact with my creations and I, as GM, react to those actions. The toughest part of creating this game is the initial creation of the world. In my opinion the GM's need to do that. Something as simple as my example can very easily kick this game off, as now the players have the basics that are required.

I am sorry to say, I think you speak for dead ears. They will insist on setting up the constitution, in spite of the fact it will not create any interest. No map, no history, no people, no demographics, no economy no nothing. There is a strong group here that prefer an abstracted event-generator and oversimplified economy and absolutely no province structure.

They will discuss rules, constitution and rulesets into oblivion, and brutally shoot down any tangible proposals en route, mark my words.

Provolution, please stop being so negative. It won't do anything to help.

So, here's my plan:

Once I get some more free time, I will make a proposal which involves one, maybe two islands, and develop that. It needs to be simple enough that new players can jump in, but developed enough to be interesting. I'll make a short, simple history, which allows us to easily role-play and create the atmosphere of the game.

Sounds good, when that is done, there is at least something to begin with.

Sorry for being negative, but it seems that the emphasis on creating an interesting gameworld first was imperative. I already set up my own Kerguelen.

Top Bottom