1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Creation of Mods on Mac?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by jmelnick, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jmelnick

jmelnick Bad Mod Skills, Big Ideas

Hi-

I am a Civ5 Campaign Edition player and I really want to create a mod. Are there any softwares or programs that I can use to create it?

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Supporter GOTM Staff

On a PC, it's done using the "SDK", which provides an integrated set of graphics, map editing, scripting and installion tools. There's nothing like that on the Mac.

The graphics files that are used in Civ5 are in a proprietary format, and I am not aware of any Mac-compatible apps that can edit or create them.

There is no map editor for the Mac.

The only files you can create or edit using Mac-native apps are the XML and LUA scripts, and the .modinfo file. You can edit those in any Mac text editor.

If you really want to create Civ5 mods on your Mac then your best bet is to run the Windows SDK in Bootcamp.

3. jmelnick

Because I have the AppStore version of Civ5, I don't have the SDK. Also, what is bootcamp?

4. AlanH

Hmm. No, sorry, you don't have access to the Windows versions of Civ5 or of the SDK. Those are only available if you buy from Steam.

Bootcamp is the option to reboot a Mac into Windows instead of OS X. You need a copy of a Windows installer. But it's not much use unless you have access to the Windows SDK software.

So I'm afraid you are limited to text-only modifications in the XML and LUA scripts. You can, of course, import other modders' artwork for buildings, units, leaders, terrain etc.

5. jmelnick

are there any programs you suggest to create artwork like units and other graphics?

6. AlanH

See above

7. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Chieftain

Where you find yourself after a long night of booze, broads and tattoos in San Diego.

8. forty2j

forty2j Chieftain

Also, it's the way you dual-boot your Mac so you can run windows on it.

Depending on the context, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

A text only mod with three languages like English, French and German would be...

Nothing is keeping you from reassigning current art of the current building or tech...