Creation of Mods on Mac?

jmelnick

Bad Mod Skills, Big Ideas
Hi-

I am a Civ5 Campaign Edition player and I really want to create a mod. Are there any softwares or programs that I can use to create it?

On a PC, it's done using the "SDK", which provides an integrated set of graphics, map editing, scripting and installion tools. There's nothing like that on the Mac.

The graphics files that are used in Civ5 are in a proprietary format, and I am not aware of any Mac-compatible apps that can edit or create them.

There is no map editor for the Mac.

The only files you can create or edit using Mac-native apps are the XML and LUA scripts, and the .modinfo file. You can edit those in any Mac text editor.

If you really want to create Civ5 mods on your Mac then your best bet is to run the Windows SDK in Bootcamp.

Because I have the AppStore version of Civ5, I don't have the SDK. Also, what is bootcamp?

Hmm. No, sorry, you don't have access to the Windows versions of Civ5 or of the SDK. Those are only available if you buy from Steam.

Bootcamp is the option to reboot a Mac into Windows instead of OS X. You need a copy of a Windows installer. But it's not much use unless you have access to the Windows SDK software.

So I'm afraid you are limited to text-only modifications in the XML and LUA scripts. You can, of course, import other modders' artwork for buildings, units, leaders, terrain etc.

See above

The graphics files that are used in Civ5 are in a proprietary format, and I am not aware of any Mac-compatible apps that can edit or create them.

Where you find yourself after a long night of booze, broads and tattoos in San Diego.

Also, it's the way you dual-boot your Mac so you can run windows on it.

Depending on the context, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A text only mod with three languages like English, French and German would be...

Nothing is keeping you from reassigning current art of the current building or tech...

Top Bottom