[R&F] Cree First Look

Well at least this form of "culture bomb" is a little more clever than the other civs designed in the game to toss out culture bombs on the map.

But otherwise I mentioned in other reveals that Firaxis seems to be running a lack of creativity, and the Cree come off as the token Native American civ that comes off as very familiar to Civ 5's Shoshone with a unique scout and landgrabbing abilities with a smidge of Cleopatra's UA packed in.

This Civ require very careful city planning that you need to predict the routine of your trade route.

So are there any formulas about which way will a trade route take? This in fact seems confusing.

BTW, Free trader at Pottery is good.

For UU, 20 strength scout with a free promotion? Seems good at rushing 13 defense cities before a warrior garrison exists?

Not really sure what to make of this civ, particularly the civ ability. It kind of looks like a watered down mix between Rome's free roads and Russia's extra tiles. The early trader and better Scout could potentially lead to quicker early game bonuses but I can imagine landing in a situation where you simply don't get much out of it. Kind of like the frustration of playing V's Shoshone and not finding many ruins. The leader ability also seems pretty situational.

Hallelujah!

I love the music and leader head. Besides that I've been wanting to play a "reconnaissance" civ. Normally I rush an army or navy, but on some maps/starts it maybe better to scout out and trade (i.e. build roads) to begin with. The Cree are perfect for this. Probably the first civ I play in R&F :goodjob:

This Civ require very careful city planning that you need to predict the routine of your trade route.

You are shown a trade route/road preview on the Trade Screen before you confirm it.

Allright, time for my usual comments report.

Surprisingly enough, these comments are mostly positive! I've seen mostly people appreciating the fact that the Native American Civ is being added. Then there were comments about the music and Cree abilities. There are also people mentioning that the Cree sorta cover Canada. There were also people that wished for Inca Empire, some wished for Canada, one who posted a link to the Ottoman Empire and one who liked the Cree and wished for Switzerland, and a person that said this: "So disappointing. Enough Natives. Let’s get Canada truly in here". Oh, and I haven't seen any sarcastic comments about women leader.

Question about the Cree scout: will the free promotion also engage the soft cap limiting XP from barbs, or can it still XP-farm barbs for another promotion level?

Why do they translate most civs abilities while leaving some in their native language? I’m sure the German language includes words that at least roughly mean “Free Imperial Cities”, and that Chinese has enough adjectives to describe a “First Emperor”, yet both are translated into English. Yet in Rise and Fall the Dutch don’t translate either of their abilities (which could very easily be written in English, seeing as how “radio” is a loan word), the Mongols only translate one of their two abilities, and now we have the Cree which are the first civ to make me notice the irregularity. I’m not complaining, I’m just curious why there isn’t a consistent pattern for which ones get translated and which get left alone.

In some cases, the translations might not be interesting or even translatable. The UI is the Cree word for Wigwam. There is no good English word. The UU roughly means Warrior. The UA is the name of a tribe. Saying there unique ability is "Woodland Cree," doesn't add any flavor to the game.

But I do think it's mostly arbitrary.

Question about the Cree scout: will the free promotion also engage the soft cap limiting XP from barbs, or can it still XP-farm barbs for another promotion level?
For those who play with mods that give scouts an extra level, the Cree scout would be rather powerful, especially if combined with double experience for recon class.

Allright, time for my usual comments report.

Surprisingly enough, these comments are mostly positive! I've seen mostly people appreciating the fact that the Native American Civ is being added. Then there were comments about the music and Cree abilities. There are also people mentioning that the Cree sorta cover Canada. There were also people that wished for Inca Empire, some wished for Canada, one who posted a link to the Ottoman Empire and one who liked the Cree and wished for Switzerland, and a person that said this: "So disappointing. Enough Natives. Let’s get Canada truly in here". Oh, and I haven't seen any sarcastic comments about women leader.

I want to smack that person for the "So disappointing. Enough Natives. Let's get Canada truly in here" comment. :rolleyes: Let's not get it in there! Sorry Canadians, your nation is just the "nice guy" version of USA, maybe you should have French as your only official language. :p

But I honestly don't find the Post-Colonial nations to be that interesting as Civs. America, Brazil, and Australia in Civ6 are all pretty "meh" for me. Their abilities and uniques, I mean.

Probably.

The interesting thing is a tier 3 promotion for recon units: +20 strength (Ambush) → http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Promotions_(Civ6)

I've been playing mods The Thule and The Shoshone (for Civ VI) both of whom have bonuses to recon units. Once a recon unit gets to level 3 it can hold its own in warfare.

I have never got a tier 4 recon unit in Civ VI, which gives it stealth. OMG

I want to smack that person for the "So disappointing. Enough Natives. Let's get Canada truly in here" comment. :rolleyes: Let's not get it in there! Sorry Canadians, your nation is just the "nice guy" version of USA, maybe you should have French as your only official language. :p

But I honestly don't find the Post-Colonial nations to be that interesting as Civs. America, Brazil, and Australia in Civ6 are all pretty "meh" for me. Their abilities and uniques, I mean.

I somewhat agree with them not being particularly interesting, but we aren't just 'nice guy' America :S. Our biggest positives would actually be very similar to the Cree. Trade, peacekeeping, immigration and cultural diversity. Plus our classic Canadiana 'tropes'. Aside from Railroads, the Cree design covers us too. Very cleverly done by Firaxis.

Top Bottom