[R&F] Cree First Look

Looks like a good Civ, an interesting addition. But in general I'm not a fan of Shared Visibility, I always turn it off in the setup screen as it kind of spoils the exploration element of the game for me.

Looks like a good Civ, an interesting addition. But in general I'm not a fan of Shared Visibility, I always turn it off in the setup screen as it kind of spoils the exploration element of the game for me.
I get too annoyed that my scouts always die, so I love shared visibility. On the other hand, the Cree already have a solution for scouts always dying. :p

If they started with the scout instead of the warrior, that would be more interesting.

Although having a strong scout that immediately ignores hills or forests will definitely be a very strong early presence. From looking at the video, it does look like the scout after taking the promo would be at 15XP, though, so that would reduce its effectiveness. I think they really should make a change so that the free promo is free - if my scout can farm barbs easily for the 2nd promo at 15XP, then that would be a lot faster to getting the +20 combat bonus. Although at the very least it will be interested to use them as a Ranger slingshot civ. If you can come with a handful of +20 strength Rangers, they could be a fiersome industrial ranged force.

Just to toss it out there; The AIs target recon/scouts/rangers over taking a builder/settler, killing a heavily damaged unit, and targeting a melee/ranged/siege/support unit if they have the option.

This will be very important to the Cree when using their UU.

This preference in the AI to target recon units can be advantageous in several ways:
  1. Place a recon unit within range watch all the hate it attracts while the rest of your troops/builders are left unscathed.
  2. Fortifying the UU to soak multiple hits earning much exp and run away or cycle units when low hp.
  3. Lead slower units away with their superior movement advantages
Do note that a barb camp's spearman will attack if adjacent to the scout, but not leave the camp to chase like they do for slingers.

Aside from gaining little exp from barbs, the Okihtcitaw can gain their promotions easy enough with enough early aggression, the survey policy, and/or the Terracotta Army.

Going to revise my previous assumption that the UU would be lackluster. I still don't think it's top tier, but there have been some really great points made in this thread. I like the flexibility they offer, at the very least. I think the biggest factor so far that only one poster mentioned is era score. The Cree UU is probably going to be the best era score generator early on.

I think the UU sounds great, maybe it's not optimal or maybe I'm old school, but scouts are usually the first units I build because I like those free envoys! Unfortunately they usually die so I welcome a stronger version. Plus, they look cool.

Beautiful! One thing you can never fault Firaxis+2K for is the great music in Civ. Top notch! :goodjob:

Just to toss it out there; The AIs target recon/scouts/rangers over taking a builder/settler...

I am playing The Thule (mod) RN which has a similar bonus to scouts. At least for The Thule you can level up your scouts by fortifying them vs. barbs. Not quite an exploit (and something not worth doing with The Cree) but I thought I should mention it.

Eh, I love the music. Mind you, I lived in a number of small towns with significant aboriginal/First Nations population, so I grew up being familiar with it. Perhaps it is an acquired taste.
The music sounds familiar though... Is it originally from the remake of Colonization?

Those from Western Canada would be familiar with the music... very similar to what one would hear at Waneskewin Heritage Park in my home town of Saskatoon. At least the ancient version. Very impressive how they came up with all the era music.

I have to ask my (adopted) sister what she thinks... she's 1/4 cree and quite involved in First Nations activities, esp music.

The music sounds familiar though... Is it originally from the remake of Colonization?

You can see the post here of them making it new for Civ VI. But yeah, it reminds me of some of the chanting in Colonization :)

Those scouts might really come in handy in the Ancient era though if that chanting gets old. Please, go find some other musi- I mean, civilizations!

:lol::lol::lol: Very true...

It sure will be nice to have tougher scouts, but they will still have a hard time against spearmen in barbarian camps, as they don't have the warrior bonus against anti-cav...

Besides, I'm pretty sure the first promotion will mean that the next one will still be at 45xp. Even with the recon policy (instead of the +5 against barbs...) to reach lvl 3, then the terra cotta to reach level 4, we won't be able to have many stronger than swordsmen... And then what would be the point ?

Because of the extra combat strength on the scouts, the AI is going to be even more likely to derp and warn you about your "huge army bordering their lands" while you're scouting. That'll be fun.

I hated that game. Colonization. It was the only time I ever felt ripped off by Firaxis+2K :cringe:
So I wouldn't remember...cos I probably tried to block out memory of that game :lol:

I miss "Baba Yetu" from Civ IV though. Such a beautiful track. Zulu music in Civ V was also nice. The Cree and Kongo music in Civ VI are the best IMO

Top Bottom