[R&F] Cree First Look

That, and if the cost is same as a scout, they will be a cheaper version of the warrior with extra movement. They might make building your early army a faster chore.

yes but... warriors upgrade... scout don't until what ? ranger ? That's so long a gap, the unit is useless by then...

The strong other value is +1 gold per camp and pasture in the source city. This means +5 gold for each trade route from it.

I'm a bit confused by your statement here.

• A bit confused about the dual visibility in alliances. My understanding is that that is in place now so will it change with new alliances?

That has been my understanding too. This confused me when it was discussed in the FL.

And BTW, just to make myself clear... I love this Civ... probably first one I'll play, because the best thrill I get playing civ is early games... just not conviced the UU is all that fantastic

The free promotion will mean the scout can explore a lot more from the get go, especially if starting near forest/jungle. The strength boost is more of a 'dies less easily to barbs' more than anything.

I'm guessing maybe only military alliance gives shared visibility now?

I was already able to make scout spam work on Deity with Germany killing an early city state with it for second city (due to Germany +7 CS and additional military slot). I think it was 4 scouts plus the starting warrior plus 2 slingers later that I went for.

Peoples forget that there is a +20 CS promotion and a double XP for scouts perk.
The free promotion and increased CS probably makes Cree scout spam even more viable than Germany scout spam.
Though it depends a bit how expensive the unit is it probably has slightly increased production cost. Part of what made the GER spam work is the insanely low production cost of scout.

The free promotion will probably make this UU ok in the end... more than then 20 AS... But still, unless a major rework of the recon units is in the works, it will remain a UU that's not useful for very long

There's a new unit that the Ranger upgrade to that is basically the Paratrooper from Civ V. If you keep your UU alive, eventually it will upgrade into highly promoted parashooters. The Ranger also isn't bad if you promote it.

yes but... warriors upgrade... scout don't until what ? ranger ? That's so long a gap, the unit is useless by then...

Of course, but to make it to rangers, you have to survive the early onslaught of barbarians first. ;) The point is, that for the first phase of the game, these units will be a relatively strong and cheap unit to produce for early war and to establish yourself. That is the trade-off for upgradeability.

Qilian Mountains at 0:59?

Attachments

• Qilian Mountains.png
    Qilian Mountains.png
    374.4 KB · Views: 339
I think the UU will be much better than people seem to think. Important thing is that it starts with a free promotion. This means that its real possibility to get that +20 strength promotion, which would make this unit relevant in normal combat situations.

Not to mention using the Survey Policy Card which is available earlier. You have a great chance of being able to upgrade it really fast. We shall see. I think I will try the Cree first. I am excited...and sad considering we are not getting the Expansion on February 8th.

Edit: by "we", I meant Mac/Linux users.

Ok, never mind that. Excited again just because we have the Cree.

don't you think that mountain on the right looks a bit too colorful to not be a natural wonder?

damn someone was faster, sorry...

Not if it followed the same rules as a culture bomb (can' take districts, can' take tiles more than 3 tiles from city center). If they wanted to limit it a little they could make it 2 tiles instead of 3.

As is, it's not terrible but I'd much rather have Russia's landgrab or any if the culture bomb civ to this.

Indeed, I was overlooking (ignoring) the three-tiles-from-city rule. Kinda dumb on my part.

Why do they translate most civs abilities while leaving some in their native language? I’m sure the German language includes words that at least roughly mean “Free Imperial Cities”, and that Chinese has enough adjectives to describe a “First Emperor”, yet both are translated into English. Yet in Rise and Fall the Dutch don’t translate either of their abilities (which could very easily be written in English, seeing as how “radio” is a loan word), the Mongols only translate one of their two abilities, and now we have the Cree which are the first civ to make me notice the irregularity. I’m not complaining, I’m just curious why there isn’t a consistent pattern for which ones get translated and which get left alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom