1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crhristianity? Should it develope a sense of humour about itself?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sidhe, Jan 25, 2007.

?

Does God have a sense of humour, and should by extension his followers?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2007.
  1. no: I'm a part of the Abrahamic faiths I'm apauled at the notion

5.7%
  2. yes : I'm a part of the Abrahamic faiths and I support a bit of a laugh

37.1%
  3. I'm either agnostic or x: and I say let's laugh it isn't a sin

38.6%
  4. I'm either devout or c: and I say no, religion should be resepcted, and no man can mock us.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other: I am none of the above and I have no choice: please explain

7.1%
  6. Radioactive monkeys are agnostic and have no opinion either way.

11.4%
  1. cegman

cegman Scott Walker Supporter

**** I'm an American and I can't understand your posts Sidhe.

2. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

Most Jews and Christians seem to have a good sense of humor about their religion. You'll rarely find much humor among the fundementalists of any faith though. So long as they don't start murderous riots over jokes (or cartoons) I don't care if they can't enjoy a good laugh.

3. mangxema

mangxema I

I think the have-of switch when speaking is a relatively regional thing. I knew what he was getting at the first time through, but I can understand the confusion as I don't believe I've ever actually seen it written that way before.

4. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

No just a rant. :)

And Pboily if it indeed was incomprehensible then my apologies, but pointing out "Crhristian" should be spelt Christian is a bit pedantic, in a pole fair enough but really? Same with Erik.

I'm dyslexic though and I often write how I speak, so it's not deliberate. And because I get this constantly not just on this forum but others and for purely pedantic reasons, I am a little sensative.

5. Guangxi

Guangxi King

athiyizzum.

feel better?

On-Topic:
    every relligion needs a sense of humour.

off-topic again:
    i understand sidhe fine.

6. ironduck

ironduck Deity

a****ism!

7. Katheryn

Katheryn Deity

8. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Would you protest at Jesus being sodemised?

there are morons in every religion.

9. Katheryn

Katheryn Deity

There were no pictures of Mohammed being sodomised.

Here is a link to see them.

http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/Jyllands-Posten-Cartoons/?imgIndex=0&autoShow=6

There is truly nothing there that come anywhere close to sodomy. Nothing that comes close to urinating on Jesus.

There are "morons" in every religion, but every religion doesn't have an example to follow that is one of conquest, subjugation and superiority.

You cannot find anything in the New Testament that condones fighting anyone for anything. You can find much that tells you not to do so.

Unfortunately, there are many sections of the Koran and Hadith that not only gives permission for Muslims to fight 'oppressors', it demands they do so.

The definition of oppressor? Someone who does not allow a Muslim to freely express his faith, including Sharia. Someone who refuses to pay the Dhimmitude tax and follow the proscribed subjugation, ie let the Muslim have the sidewalk, give him your 'horse' if a Muslim wants it, etc.

10. Katheryn

Katheryn Deity

We have to deal with this kind of thing all the time:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday December 21, 2006 Printer friendly version Email to a friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vandals Storm Creches Nationwide - Baby Jesus Smashed, Dismembered, Desecrated

WASHINGTON, December 21, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Catholic League is reporting vandalism to nativity scenes across the United States.
    Figures from nativity scenes were stolen or vandalized in Tucson, AZ ; Millbrae, CA; Mission Viejo, CA; Moorpark, CA; San Francisco, CA; Naugatuck, CT; Waterbury, CT (Jesus was taken, but one of the arms was left behind); Fort Walton Beach, FL; Des Moines, IA; Sioux City, IA; Ammon, ID; Chicago, IL (32 figures of baby Jesus were nabbed-they were later dumped on the lawn of a Catholic church); Jackson County, IL (two incidents); Tinley Park, IL; Floyd County, IN; Fort Wayne, IN; Montgomery County, IN; Wichita, KS; Hardin, KY; Lafayette, LA (two incidents); Youngsville, LA; Fitchburg, MA; Southborough, MA; Winthrop, ME; Portage Township, MI; Fayettville, NC; New Bern, NC; Columbus, NE (12 baby Jesus figures were stolen in one day); Plaistow, NH; Dover, OH; Utica, OH (three incidents); Artemis, PA; Bucks County, PA; Greenfield, PA; Hilton Head, SC; Halom City, TX; Santa Fe, TX; Salt Lake City, UT; Winfield, WV and West Allis, WI.

WASHINGTON, December 21, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Catholic League is reporting vandalism to nativity scenes across the United States.
    Figures from nativity scenes were stolen or vandalized in Tucson, AZ ; Millbrae, CA; Mission Viejo, CA; Moorpark, CA; San Francisco, CA; Naugatuck, CT; Waterbury, CT (Jesus was taken, but one of the arms was left behind); Fort Walton Beach, FL; Des Moines, IA; Sioux City, IA; Ammon, ID; Chicago, IL (32 figures of baby Jesus were nabbed-they were later dumped on the lawn of a Catholic church); Jackson County, IL (two incidents); Tinley Park, IL; Floyd County, IN; Fort Wayne, IN; Montgomery County, IN; Wichita, KS; Hardin, KY; Lafayette, LA (two incidents); Youngsville, LA; Fitchburg, MA; Southborough, MA; Winthrop, ME; Portage Township, MI; Fayettville, NC; New Bern, NC; Columbus, NE (12 baby Jesus figures were stolen in one day); Plaistow, NH; Dover, OH; Utica, OH (three incidents); Artemis, PA; Bucks County, PA; Greenfield, PA; Hilton Head, SC; Halom City, TX; Santa Fe, TX; Salt Lake City, UT; Winfield, WV and West Allis, WI.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/dec/06122102.html

Same thing happened in 2004:

http://www.catholicleague.org/2004report/miscellaneous2004.html

11. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

It's equivalent: idolatry to them is the same as seeing Jesus sodomised, do you understand that Katheryn?

12. ironduck

ironduck Deity

Do you think it should be illegal to paint a picture of Jesus being sodomized?

13. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

In my country it is so yes the painting is fine: if it's portrayed in the media and encourages religious discrimination it is illegal. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to offend. Liberty comes with responsibility.

14. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

I'd consider painting one to make the point, but I can't paint worth beans. :p

15. ironduck

ironduck Deity

I don't think you quite answered. Should it be legal or not to paint a picture of Jesus being sodomized and obviously publishing the painting? Yes or no?

16. Pyrite

Pyrite Emperor

I'm considering sodomising jesus.

17. ironduck

ironduck Deity

The thing is, I don't even see it as being necessarily offensive. One may assume that Jesus was gay (why not?) and as such had a relationship with another man. It could be painted quite beautifully just like other love scenes..

18. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

I did I said it is legal to paint a picture but not to use it for the purposes of descriminitation.

19. Pyrite

Pyrite Emperor

Are you suggesting someone paint jesus during a money shot? you Sir have gone too far.

20. ironduck

ironduck Deity

Right, but your qualifier makes it hard for me to understand you. Someone can always claim that it's discriminating. I'm asking whether such a painting, not joined with any other statements, should in any way be subject to discriminatory legislation?

edit - nevermind, can never tell who's serious on here with all the nutters..