1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Criminally underrated

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Jun 21, 2018.

1. eleven11

eleven11 Chieftain

For me, Monarchy is all about the envoys. And I wouldn't worry about changing governments and exceeding pop caps. As far as I know there is no penalty to running higher than the pop caps other than the obvious growth penalty.. just have to look at the ugly red warning icon for awhile.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Chieftain

+1 on Levying city state armies, that at least i've been seeing as an exotic non usable feature for a long time. But moving troops takes a long time, so finding a nearby city state with a good army can be really helpful.
    - 30 turns is long enough to capture a few cities
    - My feeling is that its relatively cheap
    - You can play more offensive - its not your troops anyway

Of course you need to keep a close eye on the suzerainship, and it can be a bit wasteful to upgrade troops, if your city state is falling behind.

Meluhhan likes this.
  3. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

I'm not sure why you put in a spoiler tag. It's no secret that England is one of the worst civilizations in Civ 6.

I'm sure Firaxis will find a way to nerf it further.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Hmm, Monarchy's envoy points might be a good for a temporary boost, but what does 50% really mean? According to this: http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/City-state_(Civ6) it's 5 points per turn and 2 envoys at 150 points. So non-monarchy earns 2 envoys every 30 turns, while Monarchy does it every 20 turns. So...

Non-Monarchy over 120 turns: 8 envoys
    Monarchy over 120 turns: 12 Envoys

So that's 4 envoys if you stayed in Monarchy for a very long time. I guess you could make it 8 with some cards, but if there's that many CS's that are still alive, you're already pretty fortunate. If you take the envoy card (lol, as you can see how hilariously bad diplomatic cards are), Monarchy would almost net you.... 2 more envoys.

But you could definitely pass over Monarchy to grab that 15% wonder card and then get another government though.

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

If you think of it too, you can just run one of the other governments and use a wildcard spot for the +2 envoy card, and that essentially gives you the same bonus that Monarchy does. And yeah it wastes a policy card, but I can't for the life of me imagine at that point in the game why I would need to consistently run 3 military cards.

6. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

Yeah, I don’t think I can say Monarchy is “underated”, but for some reason I always like runnning it.

Three Military Cards is a lot of military cards. But it can be fun trying to get use out of it - loyalty, pillage etc.

I also really like the idea of the extra housing ... but I can never make it work. I never seem to be short of housing in any cities that matter.

So no, Monarchy is not really a go to government... but it still sounds cool...

7. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

You could run +1 Amenity for a garrison/Military Production/-1 Unit Maintenance. And you could also run that gold for envoys card instead of the envoy card in its place.

Honestly, though sometimes I just grab the wonder card and stay in Autocracy because it actually slows down wonder building to lose that bonus.

I also realized that Monarchy could have been useful in the last game I played with the Temple of Artemis. Probably not though.