Critical ModBuddy crash

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Update: This problem was finally fixed in the July modbuddy update, yay! :dance:

I perform the following steps:

1. Start ModBuddy.
  2. Navigate to the menu Tools > Online Services.
  3. Enter username and password.
  4. Click 'Log In'.
  5. ModBuddy crashes.

• I am no longer able to log in to Online Services with the Thalassicus1 username.
  • I tried restarting the computer, reinstalling ModBuddy, updating all my drivers, and checking for visual studio runtime updates.
  • This prevents updating or removing outdated mods uploaded with Thalassicus1.
  • I can log onto the IGN network without problems outside ModBuddy (on gamespy.com).

I discovered this avoids the crash:

1. Registered a new username.
  2. Log in from now on with this new username.
  3. ModBuddy and Online Services work properly with the new account.

This has recently also struck my Thalassicus3 username. I'm now unable to log onto either the Thalassicus1 or Thalassicus3 accounts without it crashing ModBuddy.

Thalassicus2 was a test account where I tried figuring out what was causing this problem, without success. I can log on to Thalassicus4 without trouble.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
6.00 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1024 MB
DirectX 11

I perform the following steps:

1. Start ModBuddy.
  2. Navigate to the menu Tools > Online Services.
  3. Enter username and password
  4. Click 'Log In'
  5. ModBuddy crashes.

• This is now permanently the case with my Thalassicus1 username.
  • I tried reinstalling ModBuddy, restarting computer, installing new drivers, checking for visual studio runtime updates, etc.
  • I am no longer able to log in to Online Services at all with this username.

Happened to me the first time I tried to log on and every time since. I thought this is a general issue, not something which could be fixed by me creating a new user (as it never worked for me). Worth giving that solution a try ;)

There may not be a need to create a new account every time this crash happens.

Go to Gamespy, log into the account in question, then go to My Account -> Update Profile and change your Unique Nickname to something else. For instance, you might be able to bounce back and forth from Thalassicus to Thalassicus2, name-wise, but you'd always use the same account. Should work unless it's really a problem related to long mod lists.

I haven't had this problem myself, but then again I haven't uploaded more than a couple of versions of my single mod. Still, this really needs to be looked into.

Thank you for the tip, at least that'll let me keep it down to the 3 gamespy accounts I've made so far, instead of having to create more in the future... and should help anyone seeking to avoid this problem.

Hm, this makes me wonder what would happen if I changed the (currently broken) account 1 to 4, then logged in? I'm going to try this...

Edit: Yeah, crashed when I changed thalassicus1 name to thalassicus4 and logged in, so unfortunately it appears to be tied to account, not username... at least for the already-broken one. Changing names might work to prevent non-broken accounts from getting broken though, it's difficult to test that. It's probably safest to create an entirely new account.

Your idea did make me think of something, though. I changed the broken one to Thalassicus_OUTDATED, so at least people know which usernames have up-to-date content. :)

Edit 2: Hm, apparently mod author is fixed at the point of upload. So this means I can't change the outdated account username, but what I can do is rename all newer accounts to a single username, one at a time, and keep all mods under the same author/upload name even though the account is changing "underneath" the username.

Edit: Yeah, crashed when I changed thalassicus1 name to thalassicus4 and logged in, so unfortunately it appears to be tied to account, not username... at least for the already-broken one.
Then it's probably related to the 'overflowing' mod list, I think. Oh well.

At least it helped you make the problem more manageable until it's fixed.

I've got a slightly different problem.
I downloaded Modbuddy, and now I can't access any online mods. They simply don't appear. And mods I load manually don't appear to be chosen. It's become an issue.
I've uninstalled modbuddy, and reinstalled, with no improvement.

It does work to scroll with the arrow keys, what I was specifically referring to is how the graphical scrollbar is either broken or disabled for mouse interaction. :)

Good luck with your uploads. I wasn't watching the number to see how far I got the first time... I've considered intentionally breaking my thalassicus2 username (transitioned on to 3 and 4 by now) just to see precisely how many uploads are possible, or if it might be due to a factor other than simple quantity.

Well, I finally sat down today and spent half an hour testing to see if it's a quantity issue or something else. I uploaded several dozen versions of a test mod to my Thalassicus2 account (which I transitioned away from, just in case it broke) and I'm still able to upload to it even with 55 uploads active. So it appears to not be an issue relating to crashing after a specific number of uploads (which would have been crazy anyway, no way that wouldn't get noticed by the testing team). I'm relatively certain I didn't have that many on my first account.

However, my Thalassicus1 username still crashes ModBuddy if I log in to it, so there's some problem going on there. I guess I'll try tech support, though the thought gives me a headache.

Forgive the noob question but you mentioned earlier that you can delete mods from the hub... I only see the option to make them private. How do you delete them?

Well, 2kgames tech support referred me to IGN tech support, and this week I sent in a ticket to IGN. The IGN tech support guy said it was beyond his expertise and sent it to his manager... no word back yet.

Well, 2kgames tech support referred me to IGN tech support, and this week I sent in a ticket to IGN. The IGN tech support guy said it was beyond his expertise and sent it to his manager... no word back yet.

Thalassicus - Yesterday I had the same thing happen to me. Modbuddy doesn't allow me to sign in without crashing to the desktop. This has been followed up by Modbuddy now refusing to open at all because all of a sudden I'm "missing components."

Frustrating to say the least. Worst case scenario a restore or clean Win 7 install I guess...

The odd thing is both of these work:

• Logging onto gamespy with the username.
  • Logging onto modbuddy online services with different usernames.
It's only the combination of that username with that service which breaks. The 2kgames tech support representative indicated it's a "damaged account" and said IGN might be able to solve the issue... hope so.

The odd thing is both of these work:

• Logging onto gamespy with the username.
  • Logging onto modbuddy online services with different usernames.
It's only the combination of that username with that service which breaks. The 2kgames tech support representative indicated it's a "damaged account" and said IGN might be able to solve the issue... hope so.

I actually can't log into Modbuddy even with a new username and password. Created 2 new ones and both crashed Modbuddy. I can, however, still sign into Gamespy through their website.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing this is that I had a BSOD and then around 30 minutes later Modbuddy was no longer my buddy.

EDIT: Reinstalled Windows 7 - 64bit. Reformatted. Still crashes. Possibly a 64bit problem because Steam itself is 32bit?

Wow, really? I do have 64-bit win7... where'd you find this out?

Just browsing through various forums - it seemed to be a common trend. It can't be the sole reason though or else this would be a bigger issue that we'd have heard about. I'm thinking perhaps some sort of conflict within win7 64-bit like an update or a .dll missing or in the wrong folder because, for a good 2-3 months, I had no issues.

I'll install 32-bit win 7 later this weekend and see if that changes anything.

I've sooner guessed the same, in relation to crashes, that Win7 64 might have a connection to it, but one of the easiest explanations for it was brought up by tokala: Win7 64 is probably the most used OS today, so it's not a supprise that many people with that OS also have crashes.

But it makes it really interesting to see, if the swap to 32 will change anything.

Top Bottom