1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Criticize the newb, AKA me.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by austincm, Jan 7, 2011.

1. austincm

austincm Warlord

Here is my save, I am playing a standard 8 person continents match on chieftain.

On my continent were 4 starting civilizations and I have destroyed 2 and am working on Mansa Musa's capital.

Now hit me with criticisms, specifically about my city placement, tiles being worked and what Im building.

Top one is 25 bc, bottom is 1000 bc

Attached Files:

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

you suck :)

3. austincm

austincm Warlord

:O, maybe I should of been more precise, Give me constructive criticism and btw ^ cool story bro.

4. lymond

Okay...looked at 25 bc save

I'm at a loss on what you are doing. You are at war with Mansa and have absolutely no army. You are building coliseums instead of units and have major unhappiness in many cities because there are no units in them.

I would tech CoL since you can get it in peace from Mansa if you tech enough of it. You might want to get peace here and regroup.

Why is that settler all by himself way over in the East?

anyway, this is chieftain so you can get away with a lot. A few vulture will take out Mansa easily but no point in being at war with no army.

5. Nilmerf

Nilmerf Warlord

You only have three military units but you have six cities. One city is even "guarded" by a settler. I don't really know what to say to that, it must be some sort of record. You need to get the basics down. I'd recommend reading a guide or something like kossin's daily rounds, which go into detail about initial moves and strategies.

6. austincm

austincm Warlord

LOL, I thought I had the war won so I stopped building troops to build some city improvements. I was planning on going for a space race victory after I took this continent and I wanted to control the entire continent.

7. austincm

austincm Warlord

Btw, I'm not having trouble, Just having trouble on where to place cities, a few saves earlier I was only building vultures out of all my cities.

8. lymond

where did they go:lol:

you'd do best to fortify your cities before building lame buildings like the coliseum.

Also, if you are taking out your continent, I'd worry more about the economy than settlers. Not that you should expand more, but you will have plenty of cities by this date.

9. JoeHollywood

JoeHollywood Warlord

Asking for help is commendable...

Asking for help and then stating you know more about your situation than the people who are trying to help you ( no matter how sarcastic ) is counter productive.

You're building a house of a VERY weak foundation. It's best to learn how to fix your foundation before you ask people on advice for the wall paper color.

10. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Who are you?

11. JoeHollywood

JoeHollywood Warlord

I'm Joe, nice to meet you...who are you?

12. Benginal

Benginal Emperor

Your city placement is largely irrelevant until you begin playing at ~prince.

Work improved tiles.

Build a monument, granary, forge, library, and courthouse. Barracks are okay if you're going to be warring a lot. Don't worry about other stuff. One thing you learn as you work up the levels is to build fewer buildings and more workers/units/wealth.

In general, there are some very basic things that you're doing wrong that you need to fix if you want to move up the levels. Check out these guides, specifically Sisiutil's strategy guide for beginners. I would also recommend reading the ALCs, also be Sisiutil.

13. Yoshi1

Yoshi1 Warlord

Right...the city placements actually looks pretty good.
    You also built cottages, which means ya already understand the importance of getting commerce.
    Now my only really important tip would be: don't play bogus difficulties like chieftain.
    My very first game was on monarch, and iam glad about that because you don't learn *anything* on low difficulties, you just get away with all mistakes. Only a mistake that hurts is remembered.

14. austincm

austincm Warlord

Yoshi thank you, I should of put up a different save because I know what was happening at that point looked bad :| but i thought i was able to stop building and focus on other things.

Anyways, I'm gona play on noble from now on.

15. vanatteveldt

vanatteveldt Emperor

@austincm

If you post screenshots you will get a lot more useful responses, downloading and opening up a save is a lot of work and some people don't browse from their gaming computer but from work, laptop, etc.

16. Ramjack

Ramjack Chieftain

I would recommend staying on chiefton difficutly untill you figure out the basics .move up a level when you actually get your first victory . I'm a newb too, and it took three games on chiefton to finally get my first victory ! Even though I was usally way ahead in tech and way ahead in points, a civ sitting quite most of the game would win with a cultural victory or launch there spaceship way before me !

Yoshi who said start on a higher level said start to learn by your mistakes , the trouble is your be making soo Many you won't know where your going wrong.
    Don't try to run before you can walk !

17. Yoshi1

Yoshi1 Warlord

Well i disagree, his cities looked good enough to step it up a bit, iam sure he knows that he needs 1 unit to decrease some unhapiness...the point is mistakes are normal. Screw that.
    What he needs to learn is to build up under more challenging circumstances, some people start strategy games with online matches...and if you ever played civ3 or similiar, Prince is the lowest you should start anyway.
    Why would the goal be to win a game? I thought the first goal is to discover a game, but not in a Sandbox...

18. austincm

austincm Warlord

Lol, yoshi I am gona start a new game on noble and post my save once im at this point again, but this time i'm gona do standard 10 man. also I was just starting to figure out civ 3's mechanics before i started playing civ 4 and this is like my 2nd game of civ 4.