Croc hunter Steve Irwin dead

He lived by the reptile and died by the fish. What a way to go.

By all accounts, this sting ray was "quite a little rippa!"

Steve Irwin's legacy will live on and I'm glad he left it.

RIP Steveo. I feel sorry for his family. He died doing what he loved.

A great man who managed to communicate science, nature and the issues of the environment to anyone, even the recalcitrant. His legacy will not be forgotten, and the services he gave to this world are gratefully received.

Farewell.

I live close to Australia Zoo, it's a very good zoo. I would be expecting a state funeral for him.

one of those rare guys who really did what he did out of passion and conviction. Maybe controversial in these PC times, but I enjoyed his shows

RIP

Steve Irwin knew crocs and snakes. That was his profession. I've never seen an american hold a dangerous snake by its tail. No matter how much we might respect the animal; No american is going to hold a snake by its tail and risk being bit. You grab a snake behind the head. Grabbing it by the head could harm and put stress on the animal, but you will eliminate being bit that way. He might have been brave or insane. I think he really loved the animals intimately.

I don't know what the context is concerning this this. Stingrays are typically passive, and not aggressive. All things considered, I would have expected him to die from a box jelly, than a sting ray, if at all. I thought he was invincible after seen how many snakes he caught

Bugger. RIP Mr. Irwin, a good and passionate Aussie bloke.

Insayn said:
Steve Irwin knew crocs and snakes. That was his profession. I've never seen an american hold a dangerous snake by its tail. No matter how much we might respect the animal; No american is going to hold a snake by its tail and risk being bit. You grab a snake behind the head. Grabbing it by the head could harm and put stress on the animal, but you will eliminate being bit that way. He might have been brave or insane.
I would say that the biggest reason we all liked to watch his shows - and we often aren't conscious of it - is that we secretly willed him to be bitten. Yup, to make it more dramatic and entertaining. This is the same reason why we like to watch dare devils and the circus. It's the possibility that they may come to a spectacular end (which would be more spectacular than the performer triumphing) that makes the danger so exciting and enticing. So, in his death, we got what we secretly wanted.

Insayn said:
I think he really loved the animals intimately.
Steady man. Let's not lower the tone. Besides, got links? [/smutty joke]

Poor guy, although it does give a boost to his earlyier work, it was dangerous and he done a great job at it. Atleast he went out on top and in a way befiting his legend.

Rambuchan said:
I would say that the biggest reason we all liked to watch his shows - and we often aren't conscious of it - is that we secretly willed him to be bitten.

I can't comment on any subconscious ideas I might have had since I am currently conscious,
and not able to comment on unknown desires I may or may not have had.

I always thought they had helicopters and emergency staff and vehicles and a mobile hospital when they were filming his shows. Apparently not.
Any american wouldn't even think of doing the stuff he did without millions of dollars worth of medical aid ready at all times in the most remote area.

That's sad. :( I didn't like crocodiles, but he seemed a nice guy. I still don't understand how he died, as I don't know what means barb.

Insayn said:
I can't comment on any subconscious ideas I might have had since I am currently conscious,
and not able to comment on unknown desires I may or may not have had.
I'm not asking you to, just commenting that if one scratches the surface of their motivations for watching such a show, they may well find what I posted previously. :)

I always thought they had helicopters and emergency staff and vehicles and a mobile hospital when they were filming his shows. Apparently not.
Any american wouldn't even think of doing the stuff he did without millions of dollars worth of medical aid ready at all times in the most remote area.
Hmm, I always thought that people were aware he didn't have all that.

"And now, the Amazing <insert circus name> Tightrope Walker shall perform the triple backflip, somersault - without the aid of the safety net!"

Unbelievable. He truly was a one-of-a-kind guy, I doubt anyone will fill his steps, unless his son does.

Crikey! :( His show was one of my favorites on Animal Planet, too.

Mirc said:
That's sad. :( I didn't like crocodiles, but he seemed a nice guy. I still don't understand how he died, as I don't know what means barb.

barb = a long, spear-like thing(s) that stick out of an animal, or plant. In this case, the tail (the thing on the bottom).

EDIT: I just noticed the typo in the title.... Guess I'll change it. ;)
Croc = the animal.
Crock = pottery, or among other things, phony/fake.

According to the news, he died from diving onto the stingray. And the wife and kids definately know now.

While I hated the guy, I still find it very sad for him to go like this. RIP Steve. :salute:

Oh no. Now all you foreigners are gunna be "crikey this" and "crikey that"... If you're not Aussie it's just wrong. You can't say it unless it slips out by accident... it's a right of passage...

Top Bottom