Croc hunter Steve Irwin dead

As so many others I first learned of Steve Irwin from Discovery's "The Crocodile Hunter". While his actions were often dangerous and spectacular, I never got the impression he did it for the show.

When Steve jumps out of the boat at night into the cold water and starts to feel his way around to find the crocodile he's looking for, it is not primarily to make dramatic television. It's to trap and relocate an animal that would otherwise need to be killed or tranquilized, something that is always very risky for wild animals. Steve's methods may have been dangerous for himself but they were, so far as I could tell, always in the animal's best interest.

Whatever you thought of his methods on this show and others, his passion for and commitment to wild animals (which I understand he spent a considerable amount of his own money on) together with his incredible charisma made it hard not to like him.

The sadness I and many others feel is perhaps even deeper because of the nature of his death. After spending most of his life in close proximity to extremely dangerous animals it feels so unnecessary and pointless to have his life cut short from one that is so very unlikely to even harm humans.

My thoughts go to his family, but also to all of Australia. You have lost a great personality and ambassador for your country.

I'd been watching his shows since I was about 8 years old in 1992. I didn't think he'd go like this, I thought he'd always be around.

r.i.p

When I was a kid I watched his shows all day long. I just can't grip the concept that he is dead. Rest in peace Steve, rest in peace...:cry:

:cry::cry::cry:

Oh sweet Irony! :cry:

When I first saw him on TV, he annoyed me to no end. But I came to respect his love of what he did. RIP.

:salute:

Mate, this guy must have been popular overseas. I mean, Aussies knew about him, but he seems near demi-God status amidst the forums... just about every forum I visit (6 or seven of them) has a Croc. Hunter thread.

The more I see of him in all the TV reports, actually seems like he was a really decent (if overly enthusiastic bloke). Made something from nothing, off the back of his own pure enthusiasm... while I found his shows hard to stomach, we should consider him a role model for where a bit of keen ol' hard work can take you...

Margim said:
Mate, this guy must have been popular overseas. I mean, Aussies knew about him, but he seems near demi-God status amidst the forums... just about every forum I visit (6 or seven of them) has a Croc. Hunter thread.

The more I see of him in all the TV reports, actually seems like he was a really decent (if overly enthusiastic bloke). Made something from nothing, off the back of his own pure enthusiasm... while I found his shows hard to stomach, we should consider him a role model for where a bit of keen ol' hard work can take you...

I agree 100%.

I remember a while back there was a thread in Off-Topic about how people thought the Croc Hunter would die. Many suggestions came up before the thread was closed because it was deemed unproper. I wonder if anybody suggested pierced through the heart by a stingray?

Homie said:
I remember a while back there was a thread in Off-Topic about how people thought the Croc Hunter would die. Many suggestions came up before the thread was closed because it was deemed unproper. I wonder if anybody suggested pierced through the heart by a stingray?

I'd feel reasonably safe betting all my money that no one would have said that.

Homie said:

No, nobody did.

Whow, I posted that thread a while back :scratcheshead:
I remember there being a thread, had no idea I actually made it, weird.

WAsn't there a smiley where one scratches one's head. To imply that you are confounded?

Turner said:
When I first saw him on TV, he annoyed me to no end. But I came to respect his love of what he did. RIP.

:salute:

Same here, my daughter and I have watched him from the beginning---
we both grew to appreciate his work 'shows'. Good luck to his family.

Does anyone here think Steve Irwin may have pulled a 2pac?

Masquerouge said:
You mean, a Presley?

Same thing.

He faked his death to get out of the spotlight or to get more money.

Godwynn said:
Same thing.

He faked his death to get out of the spotlight or to get more money.

He is definatley not that kind of person. He views family, animals, and teaching people about animals much over money. It kinda sickens me that someone would even say that. He was a good person and didn't deserve death.

Top Bottom