Crossroads of an Empire-Why the Arkaidian Dynasty Fell

thecommonnate

Theocrat
The Arkaidian Dynasty rose with great potential, a peoples government with some of the most skilled members I have seen in a government. In other words, when I joined the Demogame, it was clear which faction I would be joining.

The great potential which it rose with was eventually answered. Over time, the Seidrik's brought glory to Aretania, growing the empire and expanding its influence around the known wold. After the end of the Seidriks, a king Dutchfire took control over the empire. Dutchfire's gains to the empire have been overshadowed by instability with the Protectors of the Faith, and the 2nd Rebellion of Aretania. In the Spanish War Aretania took control of the entire Southern part of the continent we live on. This victory was largely put into place by Dutchfire, and can be looked at as the defining moment of Dutchfire's time in the APR.

So, with a government like this, why would Aretania succumb to such a quick, unplanned, and small-scale rebellion? Some would say it is because the government failed to complete its responsibilities, I would argue against this:

"Minions, Great times lie ahead of us. We are the government that provide the change that's needed. Under Seidrik's rule, that change has been initiated, under my rule, it will be completed."- King Dutchfire after the coronation ceremony. The PoF and APR wrote and accepted a constitution regarding the distribution of land and an entire empire that was once more powerful then us fell beneath our knees, these are clear examples of the "change" Dutchfire promised us.

The APR itself stood for a very personable cause, it was devoted to openness, friendliness, and inclusiveness. I, for one, benefited from these ideals, as this is my first experience with a DG.

But the Arkaidian Dynysty did fall, and if not because of leadership, oppression, age, or openness, then what? What could possibly be such a big deal as to be responsible for the fall of a great government?

The answer-nothing, nothing was big enough to have a good reason to discontinue the reign of the APR. In fact, I believe the only reason the Dynysty fell was because of time. It was, and still is, the middle of summer. People probably aren't even fully aware of Dutchfire's vacation, but during its brief time the fate of the Dynasty was shaped.

It is not only Dutchfire's inactivity, though, as many of the other APR chair- holders were inactive due to summer.

Sure, this can be viewed as a failure of sorts, but if time off is reason enough to overthrow a government, then perhaps we need to rethink the way our game works.

----

But Rebellion winds on as we speak, and as disorder winds to a halt, organization replaces it. The Principalities of Kasstie and the Cycles of Arete hope to take control of the empire and bring us glory unimaginable. Elections are inevitable, and in order to make sure that this never happens again, we need more momentum, and more people.

I completely agree and asked to this in the Rebellion Poll when I came home from vacation and the poll had closed without my, eventually decisive, vote.

We need to establish some kind of rule that one needs a certain part of the citizens (say, who has been active for the last month, or more) to vote. Like 66% voters, and if you had a majority with that (or higher) activity, the vote would be eligable.

This rule would only be for PF elections and Rebellions ofcourse. Smaller issues would not need as many citizens to be active as this might halt the DG. 50 or even 33% might be enough in decisions like "What to do with the GP?" or "Keep or Raze" (if these are ever going to get polled, that is).

That sounds like a great idea, and it is one I would like to see worked on regardless of PF outcome.

What we will need for this, though, is something that constitutes being "active." If we can set up these parameters, then that person has a month to renew his activity. PF elections and Rebellions should be valid only if all active members voted.

Thats just brainstorming though, seems sort of discriminating almost, but we could work something out.

Obviously "active" players would be around often enough to see and vote in relevant polls. Maybe they could even be up to date on the vacation thread and make sure that they are left open long enough to let absent players participate. Sorry you missed the poll Diamondeye, but what are the chances that a significant number of DG players are going to be on vacation at the same time anyway?

Keep in mind that if a secret plot deposes a vacationing faction of highly active players it should be a sinch for them to reform and sweep the new elections or take over an existing one or some such thing. I just don't see the need for a rule favoring "old timers" over new players.

I agree with 1889, but Diamondeye wasn't necessarily inactive, he was informed of the past government's inactivity I believe, and could have been helpful in deciding our political path.

I obviously don't agree that if you missed the entire summer we should hold off a decision poll until you get back, but there should be a limit. We are flying by the seat of our pants, instead of being organized like we should be.

I was thinking that people who had posted in the forum at least once the last 28 days would be determined active, and you would need a majority of the active players to be elected PF (if, per example, there are 28 active players, a vote needs 14 YES to win, even if there are few or no NOs).

Making PF elections valid only if all active players voted would not be fair since an active player could then just veto the election by not voting. Using the system I presented above, he will gain nothing by not voting.

I elect you "Minister of Tracking Each Post in this Forum for the Last 28 Days and Then Determining Who Has an Has Not Voted." Congratulations :)

Yes, that defiantly works, but I'm not sure exactly how someone would go about checking the identity of the voters to see if there was enough active persons votes.

:high5: YEA! Let's hear it for Public Polling!

Should we try to poll this idea?

Which idea is that?

The measuring of active players and their voting records.
But then theres the workload...

Top Bottom