Crouching Tigers On Offense?

Knightfall

Warlord
When the last patch came out I started a game as China on the East Asia True Start Map. The general received wisdom seems to be not to use Crouching Tigers for offense purposes due to their low range; however, I have found them to be very useful for these purposes. They shred Ancient and Classical units, and in groups they can even take down a walled city in 3-4 turns. Do you guys think I've stumbled on to something new, or did I just get really lucky in this particular game?

I just do not think people appreciate the 50'damage early
They are great in jungles too
They just cost a lot to make and other armies just make more sense.
I do not think they are bad, it's just making them that is

I agree that they are expensive. But when you're going for a culture/science win and don't necessarily want to invest in things such as swordsmen or cavalry, they make a great alternative.

One issue is most people invest heavily in archers.
Building yet more ranged on top at a higher price is just not sensible.
Their +10 is nerfed against a city as well so they are just not a great option.

In my case, I used Crouching Tigers to replace archers once I got to Machinery. Personally I think they should change the game rules so that archers can upgrade directly to Crouching Tigers.

Other units are in the same boat such as sammurai and beserkers. Possibly nice to play with but too costly to actually build. I love to play as the Norwegians but I never build a beserker

Other units are in the same boat such as sammurai and beserkers. Possibly nice to play with but too costly to actually build. I love to play as the Norwegians but I never build a beserker

I would disagree; I haven't found Crouching Tigers to be that costly.

I am sure that depends on playing style.
I am a warmongerer and build a lot of units in the very beginning using the various civic cards so that they are cheap. Then I train them and upgrade them. So my crossbows started out as slinger etc.... I rarely build any units later in the game. Just infrastructure so that I get earn enough money and progress fast enough in science to upgrade my ancient army into modern units. And some faith buying

I am sure that depends on playing style.
I am a warmongerer and build a lot of units in the very beginning using the various civic cards so that they are cheap. Then I train them and upgrade them. So my crossbows started out as slinger etc.... I rarely build any units later in the game. Just infrastructure so that I get earn enough money and progress fast enough in science to upgrade my ancient army into modern units. And some faith buying

This would be the heart of the matter. I prefer science or culture victories, so I tend to have a fairly small, hi-tech military.

Meh, they cost the same as a crossbow and that is more flexible. If you run into a city that can blow crossbows up, then you're going to have just as bad as a time with the crouching tiger.

But there is something to try. If you have swords + ram you can take down the wall really fast and crouching tiger will make quicker work of the city than anything else.

Top Bottom