1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cruise Missile Question...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by CloudXIII, Dec 17, 2001.

1. CloudXIII

CloudXIII Chieftain

Ok, so this is my first time playing civ3 and i finnally get to the modern age and i get a few cruise missile to get egypt back for prevouse events... then when i try to move the cruise missile over water it doesnt go! it just sits there like it would if it where a ground unit that you tryed to move over water. so, then i click some where on the land i was on and it moves there! can any one tell my why it doesnt go on/over water? Is this normal? do all missiles do this?

2. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

It's not a bug... It's the way Firaxis designed the game (why, I don't know). I think a lot of people were hoping Firaxis/Infogrames would fix it with the patch, and to tell you the truth I don't know if they did, but I don't think so.

3. CloudXIII

CloudXIII Chieftain

does it happen with all missiles? or just cruise

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

Just cruise missiles I believe. ICBM's stay in the city that they were built, and Tactical Nukes move like air units.

5. CloudXIII

CloudXIII Chieftain

How do ICMB's fire then?

6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

Direct bombard to anywhere on the planet. Makes sense if you think about it. ICBMs aren't just a missile, they're a whole underground complex and support network.

7. JarHead

JarHead Arcangel

You can take the man out of the Corps, but you can
    Does the C Missile act this way because the Game Engine treats it as a land artillery piece?

I think the best answer is giving Air Missions capabilities to the C Missile. (ref the threads in Creation)

8. Craterus22

Craterus22 King

The real solution would be to allow us to check a box for land/sea movement. This either or stuff is really becoming a problem... What about hovercraft!! Cripes !!

9. Maugan

Maugan Chieftain

The cruise missle is one of the only things that made me feel forced to create a mini-mod for myself to play. It is quite possibly the poorest designed unit in the game. Can anyone explain why Firaxis made a cruise missle that has no more range than a howitzer, and can not be launched from it's main RL platform, ships?

I changed the cruise missle's range to 8, raised it's cost a bit, and changed it to a 'tactical missle' so I could edit Ageis Cruisers, Nuke Subs, and Battleships to carry them.

This has greatly enhanced modern war IMHO. It shouldn't be too overpowered since you have to sail your fleet all the way home to reload on missles.

Anyone else using a similar cruise missle mod, have you seen the AI fire cruise missles from a navy that has been moded to carry them? It would be a shame if the AI was not able to take advantage of the new usefullness of cruise missles.

10. JarHead

JarHead Arcangel

Sea/Land movement for LCAC (hovercraft) shouldn't really be an issue. Real World, they don't deploy farther in than the coast so offloading should be the same as any other transport.

;) I would love to see someone create an LCAC gfx to replace the Mike Boat transport gfx.

11. funkymunky

funkymunky Warlord

The cruise missle does seem to be one of those units that probably wasn't even tested. It even says in the book that cruise missles are supposed to move like air units, but I haven't seen that. I was wondering, when you changed it to a tactical nuke in the editor, does that make the cruise missle blow up like a regular nuke?:nuke:

12. Maugan

Maugan Chieftain

no, there are seperate tabs for 'tactical missle' and 'nuclear weapon.' An ICBM, for example, is not a tactical missle.

It always bugged me that the only real use of Nuclear weapons in history was before missle tech was any good, but the first nuclear weapon available is a nuclear missle. I was thinking of adding a very low tech nuclear bomb. It would be an extreemly expensive bomber unit that has cruise missle and nuclear weapon checked. I think this should make a bomber that dissapears after one nuclear attack.

13. Craterus22

Craterus22 King

Jar

Sea/land should be an option because of the problems (and/or issues involved with making mods) associated with cruise missles and airplanes. I threw the hovercraft thing in there because it is something along with missles and airplanes that someone may want to make that can travel over land and sea.

The ability to choose that option would make like easier for people who want to make mods...

14. JarHead

JarHead Arcangel

:) Agreed

15. jc011

jc011 Rider of Rohan

well, it seems in civ3 the cruise missle is now moved...it rides the railroads, or the roads...This makes more sense instead of a cruise missle just taking off, and then landing again. :rolleyes:

16. Raptorf22

Raptorf22 Chieftain

Hey u guys are interested in Hydrogen bombs? mwhaha

17. Proteus

Proteus King

Yep, you´re right, the Land-Movement makes sense, assuming a mobile Cruise Missile Launcher. I think there wouldn´t be any moaning if Cruise Missiles (aside from their Landbased Movement) could also be loaded onto Subs and maybe Bombers and Aegis-Cruisers.

18. Rydbeck

Rydbeck Svea Livgarde

Why the hell havent the fixed things like the cruise missile problems etc???

I thought cruise missiles could fly over seas.. didnt they do that in afghanistan??

Helicopters should be able to take-off from a carrier loaded with troops.

Modern Subs, battleships, bombers and AEGIS cruiser should off course be able to launch cruise and nuclear missiles.

I want the game to be more realistic!

Firaxis must fix this problems

19. Marzipan

Marzipan Warlord

Yes I agree, destroyers, subs, battleships, and nuclear subs (and maybe regular subs) should be able to launch any kind of missle. Cruise missles should outrange the longest range artillery.

20. Loopy

Loopy Warlord

I disagree with what appears to general feel of cruise missles having "problems". I think they're a very useful and unique unit that are not broken in any way.

Q) Why is the range of cruise missles so short? Can't they fly long distances?
    A) Well a canon has a range of one and can fire around what, half a mile and has a range of 1 square? Since a modern day Tomahawk cruise missle can fly 1,000 miles, does that mean it should have a range of 2000 squares? The range is short for game play reasons.

Q) Why doesn't it go over water?
    A) Actually cruise missiles can bombard over water. And since you don't launch a cruise missile to move it from one site to another, I don't see why you'd think you could roll one out across the sea.

Q) Why can't it launch from a naval unit?
    A) There's no reason to think they should be launched from a both naval unit and from land. Even today's missiles require different variants for sub-based or B-52 launches. I mean the first real cruise missile was probably the German V-1 and I can't imagine that being fired from any naval unit from those times.

Regardless of the picture or your country's current military units, these Civ units aren't necessarilly top of the line US of A units. There's only one type in Civ3 and it happens to be a land based one. Who knows, maybe they're really Chinese Silkworms in the game or something.

The ability to outright destroy another unit from a distance of artillery range can be very powerful. You can take out naval units without a navy. You can take out units on the other side of a mountain range without having to cross the mountains. Not unlike marines, as they are currently designed, they do their job in the right situations, and do it well.