1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cruise missiles...?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by creamcheese, Mar 9, 2011.

1. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

Does anyone have a good use for cruise missiles? I've only ever built one to see what the animation was like. They seem like a waste of shields since they are a disposable unit. I'd rather use bombers for lethal land since they are not expendable and have greater range (although they can be shot down). The only advantage I see with them is if your opponent has massive AA defenses and you'd rather not lose a bunch of bombers to kill a few units.

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I sometimes make a few late in games to finish off boats that come close to shore and have been redlined by artillery. They can move to any spot on rails so are more useful than a bomber in some situations.

3. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Yeah, they're only really useful for picking off redlined units that your Bombers can't kill (or you don't want to divert from other missions). Ships are usually the only thing I use them on, although I suppose they'd see a fair bit of use in a MP game that lasted into the Modern Age, as a Human player would likely use a great deal more AA and Air Superiority to fight against Bombers. Maybe, anyway; I don't know how MP games go.

4. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

They are a good way to move shields from your productive core to corrupt towns, they often can be a single turn build. Want to short-rush a build, disband a cruise missile.

5. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

Puts a totally different spin on 'disposable' unit.

6. creamcheese

I could see possible potential benefit against a human with good air defenses, but even then, a bomber that might die vs a cruise missile that will... the cruise missile does have better bombard. Hmm.

Of course if you beeline for stealth bombers they are far better than both with their stealth ability.

I never thought of that, perhaps I'll give it a try in a space game some time in the future.

7. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

That's what I use them for. Hadn't really thought of TheOverseer's use, but it would work too if that's how many shields your core is making.

8. Stratagist IV

Stratagist IV Ex virtute honos

Does anyone know if cruise missiles can be loaded onto transports? If so I have a strategy to make them rather useful

9. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

I don't think they can be. If they were able to, then a transport full of them could be very fun.

10. Jesusfreak

Jesusfreak Chieftain

They probably can (I've never tried), but I don't think you could actually use them while they were on the transport. I tried a similar tactic with artilleries one time, and they weren't allowed to fire until they were at land.

11. Xeer

Xeer Chieftain

Yes, they can be loaded onto transports, but you can't use them until you unload them on land.

12. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

well bombers have to rebase to get close enough before they can bomb a spot, and cruise missles can bomb the turn they are built regardless of where.

13. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

They should be loadable onto the AEGIS.

14. Stratagist IV

Stratagist IV Ex virtute honos

Agreed, personally I think any (modern) naval ship should be able to load missiles... almost all modern warships have had that capability for some time...

Anywho, at least the aegis and the nuclear sub should have that option. Sure it'd be a waste of a nuclear sub but still, the option should be there

15. Ceoladir

I say the AEGIS as it's really the only "modern" warship in the game, as the others all come in the Industrial Age. Missiles are the bread and butter of a real life AEGIS.

16. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

What about Nuclear Subs?

17. Ceoladir

Not fit for cruise missiles. Real nuclear subs have real nukes.

18. creamcheese

19. Fiddlin Nero

Fiddlin Nero Chieftain

If you ever play a vanilla or PTW game keep them in mind they are the only way to kill those irritating ships off your coast without chasing them down with your own ships.

20. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I almost never use them, they should be more powerful.