Crusader Kings 2

Murder your brother.

The great thing about this game - while that post would be totally inappropriate in nearly any other thread, it actually makes sense in the context of this thread.

New courtiers can't hold tyranny against you if they weren't there when it happened.

You lose a massive amount of income and ax levies, with it getting harsher and harsher as you go more and more over the demesne limit. You dont actually get more troops out of it anymore. And you get less income.

I am incredibly disappointed that the DLC for CK2 didn't go 75% off like I expected it too. I have over $13 in my Steam wallet now, and I was waiting to gobble up the CK2 DLC that makes up nearly a quarter of my wishlist :(

You lose a massive amount of income and ax levies, with it getting harsher and harsher as you go more and more over the demesne limit. You dont actually get more troops out of it anymore. And you get less income.

I meant give the crap to new courtiers who don't hate you because they're oblivious.

Well, I was kind of wondering what succession law I should aim for when I can get out of gavelkind.

Any suggestions on that? I have one empire title and two kingdom titles to deal with...

Is elective really that good? I've had a couple bad experiences with particularly ambitious dukes voting my dynasty out of office.

I prefer Tanistry, so then at least I keep it in the family.

Is elective really that good? I've had a couple bad experiences with particularly ambitious dukes voting my dynasty out of office.

You only need medium CA for it, you can pick your best son (or even nephew), it gives vassals already +5, and as long as you keep the opinion of half of them up, its easy peasy to stay in power. You need to please vassals anyway to avoid factions.

True, but you can't control it at all with Primogeniture, short of heirs dying suddenly, accidentally or otherwise.

True, but you can't control it at all with Primogeniture, short of heirs dying suddenly, accidentally or otherwise.

Well, of course, which is why I was comparing it to Elective.

Elective is quite possibly the best succession law.

Ultimogeniture is also great; it has primo's advantages but since it only picks the youngest child the heirs will generally be younger and therefore have longer reigns. More importantly, ultimo gives you a bit of choice as to your heir; once you get a desireable heir you can just stop having children.

RP-wise primo and gavelkind are probably the best.

As long as you want to hold only one main title I feel that Gavelkind works quite well for an expanding dynasty. You can conquer and keep a good number of provinces, which is great if you have to gobble them up to create a duchy or kingdom. It also seems that your heirs are far less prone to kill each other (or you).

...which is rather important for me. I once lost a game because all my eldery dynasty member murdered each other after I switched to Seniority Succession. I think I played 10 different characters within 4 years, then two plagues rolled over my land and killed off the rest of my dynasty. I was left with a 8 year old boy who was quickly "succeeded" by his regent - Game Over.
:D

Ambitious dukes can be a problem all the time, Elective or not.

You only need medium CA for it, you can pick your best son (or even nephew), it gives vassals already +5, and as long as you keep the opinion of half of them up, its easy peasy to stay in power. You need to please vassals anyway to avoid factions.

*Low CA.

Tbh I think that Elective is by far the best succession law, you get to choose your heir from all your closest family (or, if you land them, everyone from your dynasty), the choices are incredible, you can always raise everybody to have great traits and then vote for the best, after a while it's quite easy to go generations always with a genius on the throne.

And the vassals will always vote for your heir if they like you, and it's easy for them to like you with good enough diplo and good traits. And since you're the one choosing your heir, chances are you can always get great heirs that are always liked by vassals.

Top Bottom