1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusades are bs

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by DiMarzio, Feb 25, 2016.

1. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

I'd tend to agree with this- even though it's been said at least a couple times, here's my 2:gold:. Unless I'm France, I generally don't want to get picked for a Crusade. Playing as Venice right now. First Crusade time! I don't want that instability for foreign cities, I'll vote for France. I get picked anyway. Okay, fine, I'll take my free GA and the second half of that GG I've been working on. No effort whatsoever to hold Jerusalem, I don't care. Second Crusade time! I don't want that instability for foreign cities, I'll vote for Germany. I get picked anyway. Uhh... thanks? I'll have the free units sit in Tyre, hopefully some of them will stay in the Levant and I can use them against the Byzantines when I buy the next crusade to go after Constantinople. Jerusalem is sitting there, Independent and open (I moved my army out, why leave units there if they'll just revolt?) and ripe for the re-taking, but I. Don't. Care. I have no interest in Jerusalem any more. :dunno:

I guess it'd be nice if Jerusalem (and maybe Lebanon, etc.) were yellow or orange provinces for any Catholic nation. The last time I made a serious effort as France was before the core/historic/border/whatever province system was in place, so I'm guessing it's at least orange for France, but that doesn't do me much good as a MerchRep/Bureau Venice who can't handle a bunch of excess foreign cities.

2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Jerusalem needs to have something that worth to keep/have otherwise we are not the pope...

3. TheMulattoMaker

Well, there's that nice Relic, but I learned not to depend on that the first time I played as France. As soon as Jerusalem came out of rebellion, I had +1:), so I let Paris and a bunch of other happy-capped cities grow. ~5 turns later- "The Muslims are revolting! And they're taking their Relic with them! Enjoy your gaggle of angry cities, chump!" :sad:

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

About relics I have already made my mind
    On successful crusade: Crusade leader get 2-3 relics, participants also get 1
    These are settleable units, similar to the ones in SoI, will probably appear in the capital with a couple turns delay.
    Catholic Reliquary is changed. Instead of a general building, you will get one when you settle your relic in your city.
    It's bonuses are also significantly improved. Probably it will increase all of happiness, stability, and faith.

5. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I thought, instead of a relic, Jerusalem should have the Holy Grail. that should give some handy bonus like +happiness +1 health +1 gold for each city. That's something you want.

6. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

I like this idea - at the very least, it would actually give a reason to participate at all.

7. TheMulattoMaker

Awesome :thumbsup:

8. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

That sounds good. Particularly if you can still get the relics if you choose to create a Crusader States vassal civ in the Levant - that way you can get the benefits of a Crusade without having to then worry about holding unstable territory if you don't want to.

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks everyone!
    And indeed some other changes will also follow.
    I'm not yet totally certain about anything else yet, but there are some good ideas in this thread already :goodjob: