1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cry Baby Boomers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bugfatty300, Aug 4, 2020.

1. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

my god valka, that was quite beautiful

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  2. r16

r16 not deity

ı used to have great doubts about the "generation that would follow" . ı had to stop some random girl on the bus slapping some random student , because he was from my own high school , maybe 3 years younger than me . He truly enjoyed the moment , because reputation of being a fool dies rather hard . And if we live long enough , we will also see these millennials ranting about whatever came after them . Natural ...

also , experience can be across generations . ı still hate The Beach of Nevil Shute ; ı saw The Day After in the "English Lab" , audiovisual place , headphones and divided tables where the teacher can individually check on how you are spelling stuff . She , at one moment , had to rise up and turn off the video . (What did ı learn from it ? You need some 23rd century like containment fields and whatnot when you go and bomb nuclear bomb depots ...)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

A lot of the good trolling coming up is going to be from the Zeds, and they're going to be saying "OK Boomer(for about a minute) to Millennials too. We're pulling up on 40 fast. A lot of the jerkery is just going to be early midlife crisis warning shots. My generation(almost all younger than me) is starting to have kids and flee downtowns for suburbs and more rural settings in earnest(American ones, at least, feel free to correct me where that isn't true). They're going to be in for quite the transition realizing that most of them are normal old people too. <looks around> Company going to get real interesting. We went Forgotten -> Boomer -> Millennial in my family, and the grandparents always made a lot more sense in some important ways than my classmates. They agitated for votes for women, among other things, like prohibition(very radical womens' rights issue for the time), lest we forget they were normal and optimistic and young, too.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Thank you. :hug: I'm happy you understood what I was getting at, as there are an awful lot of people who don't. They think I'm wandering off-track and don't see the connection.

So now when someone calls me a 'snowflake' I say "Thank you, I appreciate the compliment." If they think I've misunderstood that they're insulting me, I explain it to them as I explained it here, and that I'm humbled that they think I have the power to reshape continents.

It drives them nuts when their intended trolling doesn't work. :D

It's true, though: snowflakes can reshape continents, grains of dust can make solar systems, and little dead corals can make mountains (I recently learned that Mt. Everest is made of limestone and that fossils of sea creatures have been found at the top).

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  5. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

You know, I've seen a little bit of this. A little. But mostly I've seen a bunch of millennials reacting against the perception that is is happening.

It's almost as if the media that 'millennials are snowflakes' was just articles and memes by millennials, generating it out of nothing.

6. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I like how we've come full-circle to disparaging assumptions about a different generation. But it's okay to do so for this group! ;)

hobbsyoyo and GenMarshall like this.
  7. Hygro

How old do you think I am?

8. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I have no idea, it doesn't really matter. Nobody asked how old the OP was.

It's all about these silly generalisations, right? You're suggesting that these articles talking about millenials were written by millenials, trying to paint it as a non-issue. Nah. Plenty of older people in the media offering their takes I'm afraid.

9. Hygro

We're all getting different media to an extent but mine has been millennials reposting memes that start with the premise that older people are attacking them on XYZ character flaw. But I've barely seen the older generation making these claims. So from my view, it just looks like millennials have been making assumptions trusting the inciting content of other millennials.

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

And I could, in theory, make the same argument about all these hurt boomer feelings, or any other generational demographic.

Sadly, I'm horrendously online, haha, so in good faith I can't. I've seen put-downs of millenials (which appear to be the generic target, nevermind the fact we're in our 30s now), I've seen put-downs of boomers, I've seen a lot of generational Discourse (TM). We can only go on what we see - I'm not saying I don't believe you at all. It just makes it hard to debate from that kind of perspective, because each of ours are going to be (relatively) unique.

11. Farm Boy

Even the guy who sang that pray for millenials song thing I posted is a millenial, asked by senior church leaders to put together a song for a conference on combating generational stereotypes.

I'm guessing a lot of it is probably millenials judging each other. Or Xers judging their younger siblings. The Forgottens certainly would have had a lot of them that understood being shellacked in their working lives or living at home in multi-generational households. The Hispanic community and rural communities don't seem super hung up on it, generally, at least from my reading :dunno:. About the only sticking issue with real heat might be the later age we pair off and tend to start families. That doesn't get easier to do the longer you wait, and no matter how much it might be nice if it didn't matter, it still sort of does. Miscarriages, despite people not liking to talk about them, hurt a lot. They're everywhere. But that's getting sort of specific, it's just one area I've actually noticed what I think is a real generational disconnect rather than a standard cyclical one.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Ooh can you link me to that thread? I must have missed that one.

Narz likes this.
  13. Hygro

I suppose you could, but I am skeptical of any millennials consuming millennial media making the claim due to my experience that it's pretty clearly a click-generating topic to keep saying "the other guy is talking smack!"

fwiw I read THE BOOK on blaming boomers. Cover to cover. He tried his best to make the case, but it's obvious what actually happened.. Guess what everyone, it was really the Republicans all along.

cardgame, Lexicus and Birdjaguar like this.
  14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Reagan, talk radio, Rush and and one issue voters.

Hygro likes this.
  15. Farm Boy

Anything secure enough it can get corrupt in earnest is a principle problem.

16. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

The media is an interesting one that I don't have the time to cover in a lot of depth right now (plus, on mobile), but there isn't a "millennial" media machine.

If anything, the established names are multi-generational, and in general most papers, from the niche to the mainstream, skew more along ideological lines (to be clear - not saying this is a good or a bad thing, just describing what I perceive the trend to be). You could argue a generational demographic by employment, but I wouldn't assume this is the case.

Also, most papers are indeed run by people significantly older than even the high end of the millennial bracket (coming up 40, right? Maybe a bit less).

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Hygro

In the US the writers are kids and the editorial boards are increasingly not much older. There is definitely a huge millennial media industry or did Buzzfeed escape notice? The reporters at the New York Times have been showing their youth for years now and I’m a millennial being older.

18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Turn on your monitor

Gorbles and Birdjaguar like this.
  19. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

"And so, the younger generation now tells me how tough things are — give me a break! [Audience laughs and applauds]. No no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break."

-Democratic Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Anyway intergenerational politics are a trap, it's the capitalists who need to get stuffed, not boomers or any other generation

20. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

OP from my home town newspaper:
    Having grown up in a small town, I have heard this my whole life. For instance I was diagnosed with ADD (ADHD) in the early 90s. It was a common opinion at the time (and still is among many conservatives) that this was a fake diagnosis and that me and other "Ritalin Kids" were being given a free ride by forcing public schools accommodate us instead the usual beatings and expulsions.

The existence of a "coddled" generation is near universal in-disputed "fact" held among Republican-voting Boomers and even the "liberal" Democratic presidential candidate. To me it would be just another dumb hypocritical opinion if it didn't have such an impact on the average white Boomer voting habits which is stifling welfare, healthcare and racial and gender equality, etc.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020