1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Cry of distress ;(

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lacanne, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Lacanne

Lacanne Chieftain

Hello everyone. I truly need your help on this.
    I've never joined a forum before, and this make me sick to do this, but i'm asking help right now.
    I like to play civ 6 a lot, and i'm doing it with friends. We are usually 4-5 players. We are playing in continents, big continent size. I know the game much more than any of my friends, they always ask me questions for things they don't know, BUT i'm the worst players of all. Weird right ?

Also they are used to taunt me, like, evrytime. Wich is worst knowing i always lose.
    My favorite civilization is Mongolia with Gengis Khan. I'm a big warmonger and conquer a lot of cities.
    But i still always lose. Sometimes i have my civilization bonus (+6 for ennemies intel), sometimes i don't.
    And i always fail at sometime. I may have a good start, but there will always be ONE MOMENT when i will screw everything. My friends keep taunting me while they are all just pushing the science together.

I'm alone in the game, me and my prouds Mongolian. I can't face them. Even if i manage to capture cities to some AI, they will destroy my horses with some advanced units. And this case of figure don't often happen.

I don't know what i'm am missing. I've seen tutorials, played games alones, studies some tactics. I always fail eiter at the start of the game or after. I teached them the game but i keep being taunted for my non-capacity to win anything.

So please, people of the forum. I do'nt know what to do. I'm taking any tips or tactics or whatever. I just can't face the ones who push the science. When i will attack cities with my cavalry OR keshig, they will have +50 sciences when i'll be stuck at 20.

How could i improve at Civilization 6 ?

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics. Moved to the Strategy and Tips forum where I hope folks can help you out. Best of luck. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
  2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

Not to be flippant, but if you constantly lose because you are out teched, then you need to spend more time on tech. Just a few campuses here and there will go a long way and make sure you send envoys to science CS.

I mean its hard to understand what the issue is with such limited information, but really if its just getting too far behind in tech, then its simply don't fall so far behind in tech.

3. liv

liv Warlord

You need to provide a bit more detail. You play with AI as well? What difficulty?
    Do you play with a really large modded map or a normal large map
    How do they win? Science victory? What turns do they win at? Do they declare war on you as soon as they meet you or can you use the Mongolian advantage on them by sending trade routes

4. Haig

Haig Warlord

Why dont you try some other civ foe a change?

Korea gets lots of science that helps you keep up with others. They have unique unit hwacha thats better suited for defense than offense but you can still build strong units like knights or frigates and go for attack..

Zulu is very strong on offense and can form corps and armies sooner so they might suit your style? They have cool music as well....

Or maybe pick Norway and pillage your friends coasts and tiles. You can use longahips to raid districts and improvements on coast which is great fun.

5. Lacanne

Lacanne Chieftain

Yes my apologies you all for the lack of information.
    In multiplayer we fulfill the game with Ai at king level. I also practice in solo in Emperor difficulty. We also made a banlist for our multiplayer sessions :
    -No Korea
    -No Germany
    -No Trajan
    We think that for our level (which isn't very high), these three are totally broken. Please note that this is our personnal rule and i don't want to start any debate here.

My issues that i have is that i always want to make the things properly. I will always try to reach horsemens as soon as possible, but i will also try to get my Ordö.
    Plus i never declare war too soon cause it's anger my mates to be attacked in the beginning of the game (this explaining the Trajan ban). But if i prepare an army to attack someone, i feel like it's already too late and my friends are already at 30 of sciences when i'm at 12. If i do have my army of horsemens, i would conquer a big portion of the continent.

6. Lacanne

Lacanne Chieftain

Also i face another problem, my friends think i'm too much a warmonger to ally with me, which is scandalous cause first this is my style of play and secondly if i do'nt attack someone they will beat me at science.
    But i think that changing my civ sometimes would be great, also i bought Poland.

If i bought poland it's just to be a big ******* and erase my friends tiles.
    Don't get me wrong but with rise and fall and Poland, we can :
    -Found city next to ennemy
    -erase case with military engineer
    -city get revolution due to loyalty.
    So i can basically erase their cases and giving them barbarians. Am i wrong :lol: ?

7. liv

liv Warlord

You are still not providing very much in terms of information. If you want help you need to give details
    What turn do you lose at?
    Do you chop?
    Do you have a screenshot

Have you tried to play as the Aztecs?

8. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

One good way to overcome science and get extra gold is to focus on 2 commercial hubs with markets followed by a campus or 2. Your science will still be a bit lower for a while but your extra trade routes will help you in the long run. Send them to your plaza/comm hub city for +2 food and +3 production. Use these cities to pump settlers and units and use others to build campuses.

When you gonna reach the classical(EDIT: medieval) era age pick the extra science from comm. hubs. Use Leina to double a +4 gold hub(a hub adjacent to a plaza next to river) to +8 gold. You will gain extra science for quite a good time.

Build more comm hubs for more science. Get more hammers from internal trade routes. The snowballing can be quite huge when properly done.

If you play online speed you can reach over 100 science per turn in the 60's using this strategy, assuming that you also have reached 6-7 cities before the turn 45, also works when focusing on horsemen if you have a 2 horse tiles start with some conquest.

I also suggest to get Magnus first and begin to chop only in class era(from horseback riding or Currency tech) if possible, to gain extra hammers using overflow.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    i_imperator likes this.
  9. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams Supporter

I'm no MP expert but two things stand out. The first is that they (the humans) may have banded together against you. It makes sense since, at least at first, you were the strongest player. Strategically you work together to take the heavy weight out so then every one else has a chance. That's dirty pool, but then again so it goes.
    The second is here:
    The way to make war-mongering work is to hit them before they're ready. Let them get angry, no one likes to lose. They aren't noobies if they're ganging up on you. If you let them tech too much their city defense will be too high. Mongolia doesn't have anything else to help if they're cavalry fails.

Cedbird77 likes this.
  10. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

This - war mongering or specifically war weariness - is one area that is screwed up in Civ VI MP.

When you play MP and DoW unlike the AI human players may not ever peace out. That means those players who are at war are now heavily penalised for war weariness (unless you're Gandhi or Alex). Meanwhile other players who are not at war are now researching and quietly expanding far ahead.

That's without even them actively ganging up on you :p

To minimize both these aspects I recommend playing MP teams. 2 teams for all players.

My clan DI has stopped playing Civ VI altogether now...even though there is some interest in reviving gaming events after R&F IMO the game needs lots of bug fixing before we can do that. (FYI we've been playing MP Beyond Earth and it's a very much better game for MP. I've been playing informally 2x per week for several months now) :D

11. Boyan_Sun

Boyan_Sun Chieftain

My advice is, stick to your style, get rid of the science, but need to forget cavalry or keshig, just use Magnus and Maneuver, chop & build only horsemen, mass of horsemen. Then, your first goal is not to attack cities, but to plunder improvements and districts. If you have a chance to capture a friend's city, don't hesitate to burn it! :devil:

12. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

(1) Play Sumeria. Build about 1 ziggurat on a river in each town.
    (2) Play Australia. Build campuses on breathtaking tiles.

13. Cedbird77

Cedbird77 Chieftain

My thoughts exactly. The rules of engagement are taking your advantage away. I don't like smash mouth MP either. I have had people DOW me on the first turn. It sucks.

But I see nothing wrong with an agreement no DOW until turn 20 or so. Beyond that it is unfair to say no DOW. It helps the other players and hurts you.

I don't like keeping any Civs out either. Takes the fun out.

Mr. Shadows likes this.
  14. Lacanne

Lacanne Chieftain

I have to thank you, Mr. Shadows, cause now i have a REALLY HUGE DOUBT about my friends. I'm far to be ignorant, but they've assured me they're not teaming up against me. You are also right when saying that war-mongering work soon. In Solo player i always capture ennemy city with horsemens cause they don't have walls.

Tabarnak, you got me interested by your strategy: making science by money might be fun. But i have some questions.S
    Since i play Mongolia, should i split my trade routes ? (some being internal routes, the others being routes to people i want to attack for my bonus)
    What do you mean by hammers ? Builders ? Sorry but i'm stranger to Civ language, i'm french so it's hard xd.
    Listening to you i should start to put this start in work at classic era. Why ?

Even though i DO chop tiles, i'm not sure how to properly do this. I always put Magnus in my capital, but i thought his OP bonus is 50% from plot harvests. Should i chop to help doing the comm. hub Tabarnak mentionned before or to build my army of Horsemens ?

Mr. Shadows likes this.
  15. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams Supporter

Mongolia should certainly use horsemen. I meant cavalry in the sense of any mounted unit from any era. I should have been more specific since we have a unit called Cavalry. I'd never tell anyone to wait for Military Science because it comes too late.

16. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Yeah you should keep a trade route for the bonus of course. Hammers=production. Workers are units that improve your land. You start chopping in class era because the overflow will be more important. With multipliers you get even more overflow.

Chopping horsemen is a good idea as long as you get the 50% bonus card. Since you gonna hit the class era doing this, it's a good way to start.

But yeah it's a bit like that...Use your comm. hubs to boost production and gold, but also science(try raising value of hubs with Leina, etc.) when you reach the classical(EDIT: medieval) era(the one that allows you to pick the science bonus, first one on top).

(French translation):

Tu peux garder une route d'échange pour le bonus bien sûr. Hammers=Marteaux=Production. Workers=Unités qui améliore tes tuiles. Tu commences a couper les forests durant l'ère classique car le débordement de la production sera plus important. Avec les multiplicateurs le débordement sera meilleur.

Couper les forests pour les cavaliers est une bonne idée en antant que tu utilise la carte qui te permet d'augmenter de 50% la production de ceux-ci. Cette technologie t'amène en ère classique alors c'est certainement une bonne stratégie.

Mais oui c'est un peu ça...utiliser les centre commerciaux pour augmenter ta production, ton or mais aussi ta science si tu augmente la valeur de tes districts(avec Leina par exemple) quand tu atteindra l'ère classique(EDIT: médiévale)(celle qui te permet de choisir le bonus de science, le premier en haut de la liste).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  17. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

It sounds like you need to put down the Mongols and pick up another civ as suggested by another poster. If they were complaining about me being a warmonger, I’d throw it back at them. Try either Russia or Saladin. Russia gets a bonus from trade routes to more advanced civs, and Saladin gets +5 science Madrasa’s. Send religious units to their area and LET THEM DECLARE ON YOU!

Edited: Extended strategy would be to send Mamluks (with chaplain apostles) or Cossacks as a retaliation for killing your religious units.

Edit2: Also with Saladin, you don't need science to get more science and can go for other things. The Madrasa unlocks with the Theology civic.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  18. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Ironically Gandhi is great for MP war mongering in Civ VI :rolleyes:

19. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Don't put the Mongols down. You should be able to crush them. You don't really need science and if no one is declaring war then that totally works to your advantage because you can stack the combat boost by sending trade routes to them. You can easily keep up in science using Raid + Pillage after you get an army. You really only need enough to beeline horseback riding but you can also use chariots if you are in a pinch early. Just crank out horsemen and they will have a very hard time defending it if you are even remotely close to them. If not then yes you will probably need to build more campuses.

20. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

That sounds like the best idea :thumbsup:, but the fellow says that his mates are always complaining about his warmongering :nono:.