1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

CS declares war on itself

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by Preytor, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

I experienced a bug the other day, not sure if there's a specific place I should report it or not, but this looks like a good thread to place it in, so here it is:

It seemed as if the AI thought I was doing everything that Germany was doing before I ever met them.
    Germany wiped out Japan (sharing the other continent), when I met Germany he was mad at me for my "wanton aggression against Japan".
    Then Monaco declared war on Monaco, that got Germany mad at me too.
    I had an excellent relation with Germany, then about three turns later they hated me.

In the end, everyone didn't like me cause they thought I was an aggressive warmonger (my word is worth nothing), though my actions where all peaceful as I went into this game planning on being a peace keeper (my plan ended up going out the window in the end).

Fortunately this bug wasn't game breaking, just game changing.

Attached are two images of Monaco declaring war and peace on itself.

ps. I was playing as United States.
    pss. the screens look kinda fuzzy and the size is slightly off, idk why. Looks much better ingame..

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      291 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      242.8 KB
      Views:
  2. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Bug Reports, and title added.

This might have been reported before.

3. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

I can confirm that CS have civil wars, declaring war and actually fighting against themselves.
    This is post the .62 patch.

4. PieceOfMind

What do you mean when you say "actually fighting themselves"? Does this mean you see units of the same colour (forgive the expression, lol) fighting each other?

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Administrator Supporter

There's a similar report here, but in this other case the game crashes, so i guess it's another type of bug.

Stupid question: Are there maybe 2 Monacos around?
    Like when civs get doubled when you play with more than 18 civs?

6. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

Thank you PieceOfMind for moving the post to bug reports and adding a title. :)

There was only one Monaco. It declared war on itself and the rest of the world got mad at me, even though I had never met them at that point. Germany who I am guessing was protecting it got really pissed at me.

There's also the issue about Germany conquering Japan (before I ever met Japan) and being pissed at me for my wanton aggression against them (Japan).

The way the civs reacted/behaved was as if I was friends with Monaco and Japan before the stool hit the fan.

7. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

I think this is the same bug as the one The_J linked to. Ainwood eventually opened the save file and confirmed the bug.

@Preytor - Do you by any chance still have a save file? If so, was the game started with version 1.0.0.62 or an earlier version? Knowing that would help to determine whether or not the bug was fixed. Thanks.

8. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

This game in particular was started after the 1.0.0.62 update.

9. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Quite exactly. Units of the one and same city state fight against units of this city state.
    Unfortunately, at the moment I have only a screenshot of the war declaration:

Attached Files:

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Administrator Supporter

I hope whoever programmed this is seriously embarrassed about his own work.

11. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Am I the only one who finds this really funny?

12. PieceOfMind

That isn't 'quite exactly' what I asked.

I asked if can you see the actual units fighting each other.

Anyway, it looks like this is mainly an interface bug. As far as I can tell, there aren't actually two Monacos (Florence in your example). Please correct me if wrong.

13. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

What do you mean by "fighting each other"?
    Furthermore, if there aren't two Florences, then how do you come to the conclusion that "it is mainly an interface bug"?

To me it seems that Florence is declaring war on itself, proven by the fact that units of Florence are fighting against units of Florence.
    I wouldn't call this "an interface bug".

14. PieceOfMind

Can you upload a save of it happening? What I'm asking, is do you see the actual combat animations between units of the same colour (that belong to the same city state)?

Can you at least provide a screenshot of it?

All you've provided is evidence of a notification icon that is obviously pointing to something going wrong.

15. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

While I was displeased with the outcome, yes, I too found it funny.

If the unit were fighting each other or not, I do not believe this was simply an interface bug. Given the fact that the other Civs thought it was me attacking Monaco, not Monaco attacking Monaco, and I had never met Monaco...
    That along with the Civs thinking I had attacked Japan, yet I had never met them, Germany had conquered them before I had met them.

Oddly Monaco declares war on Monaco, and Japan doesn't declare war with Japan (unless I missed it).

I suggest considering that there may be some link to the Civs thinking I was agressive toward Monaco and Japan.

16. PieceOfMind

It would be really helpful I think, if we could get a savegame of this bug. Ideally an autosave from the turn of or the turn before the notification icon appears.

17. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

The save game in the link upthread is the same bug, as far as I can see. You do need the Deluxe Edition to open the file, however. I played several turns without crashing. However, I wasn't able to find any units belonging to Genoa engaging in combat between themselves. I attached two screenshots. The first shows that Genoa declared war on Genoa. The second shows (I think) that Sparta is a puppet of Genoa. Perhaps this has something to do with the problem. Also, Genoa is both allied and at war with Greece. It would be nice to have a save game from the Standard Edition to illustrate the issue.

Attached Files: