CS doesn't provide suzerain bonus after liberation?

gettingfat

Emperor
I'm using Nubian dlc without any mod. Just realize after I liberated a CS (so i gain the suzerain status), the CS doesn't provide the bonus. This happened most often if I use the exploit of gifting a conquered CS to my enemy, Dow, and then take it back and liberate. It happened twice to Auckland and today I saw the same to Valletta. I don't know if this is a new way to stop this exploit or just a bug. just wonder anybody can help verify.

Last edited:
Does it show in the City State dialog box that you are the suzerain but you don't actually get the bonus? Or does it not even say you are the suzerain?

IIRC you cannot get envoys/bonuses to city states that you have previous declared war on, perhaps the fixed this exploit in the most recent patch?

I'm pretty sure i am the suzerain. I even increased the envoy number to 6 but still didn't receive the bonus. The bonuses of Auckland and Valletta are very easy to tell. I don't mind if this exploit is fixed and even support the fix, but at least make the change more transparent to the player,

Doubt it is a fix, probably a bug. There are currently several bugs associated with city state ownership.

Having 6 envoys is not enough to be suzerain. You need to have more than any other player. The CS screen has a tab that will tell you this.

Not related to liberation, but I was suzerain of Jerusalem before I gained my religion, but I didn't actually get the bonus until I put my next envoy there.

However, do be careful since the AI seems to be better at playing the envoy game, so it's highly possible that basically right after you liberated the CS, someone else threw a bunch of envoys there and took over control. But yeah, you should be sure you are suzerain (in the city-state menu), and then can verify if you get the bonus or not.

*also, to add: you won't always get the bonuses immediately. Sometimes the way they handle things, the bonus won't become active until the next turn if it has to update in the off-turn. So if you're only looking at the same turn that you liberate that might be an issue too.

Having 6 envoys is not enough to be suzerain. You need to have more than any other player. The CS screen has a tab that will tell you this.

I am 100% sure about the suzerain status. See below. This is a few turns after I realized the issue.

Valletta, got suzerain using the exploit....can't faith purchase anything:

IMG_20170816_223804.jpg IMG_20170816_223839.jpg

For comparison, this is another CS I got "normally", ie, sending enough envoys without using the capture, gift and recapture exploit. You can see I got the cs suzerain bonus.

nan Madol, using the "normal" way to gain suzerain status...get the +2 culture bonus at coastal district tile:

IMG_20170816_230633.jpg IMG_20170816_230705.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom