1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CS Unit Gift Drawback

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gidoza, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Gidoza

Gidoza Chieftain

I understand why the decreasing influence was introduced with gifting units to CS as it can be a tad too easy to gain and maintain influence this way.

Mind you - I can't help but think that the base value of 15 being basically unreachable (unless the CS was recently trashed) is just a tad silly. I was just thinking that perhaps the reduction from 15 could be applied only after the CS has at least 3 units in its army - so the first 3 donations are a normal 15, and it goes down from there.

2. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

CS will up the value even more, sometimes even to 25, if they currently need units (usually when at war or Barbarians are invading them). And from what I've seen so far the (major civ) AI often takes advantage of that and gifts units during those times.

cammcken likes this.
  3. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

When was this introduced?

4. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

Definitely before the November version...

5. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

Is that a separate value from the 'give us units' quest?

6. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

No, that's the one. For my last game (Epic, Large, Emperor) it usually increased the influence gain to about 25 per unit gifted, though that dipped a bit for like 10 turns after gifting a unit.

7. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

So it's a hard reset to 25, no matter what the value is before the quest occurs?

8. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

What? No, during the quest unit gifts will earn more Influence...for me it's been about 25 per unit while without that quest it was more like 7 or 8. And when you just gifted a unit you cannot gift one again until the current one arrives there in some turns.
    What the OP is talking about, however, is that after the unit arrived, gifting another unit will not give as much Influence as the one before; this is true even with the quest active and this Influence gain depression lasts for like 10-15 turns or something like that, so you cannot gift units every 3 or 4 turns and gain huge amounts of Influence that way.

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood your question; if the question was whether the Influence gain from unit gifts increases back to 25 per unit once the unit gifting quest starts even if several units were gifted shortly before that, then I don't know the answer.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  9. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

May or June 2018, I think. We were tuning CS influence decay because influence values were stratospheric.

10. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

Your edit has the correct question.

From what I understand putting your post and Gidoza's together is that influence gain is based on the current state of the CS' military and also how much you've gifted in the recent past? As in, the 7-8 values are what you see before you've ever gifted a unit, and it'll fall from there after the gifts?

11. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

I don't think (not 100% sure though) that it depends on the CS's military, except in that low unit count *may* (also not sure) make the CS more inclined to give out the unit gifting quest; but yes, the Influence gain will decline when you gift units; it will eventually bounce back, however.

12. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

What is @Gidoza talking about, then?

13. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Unless it has been changed again, influence depends directly on current CS military (an inverse function, I think). The more units it has, the less it values the gift. The gift units quest is triggered when the city state is at war, during which period, influence from gifted units is increased.

14. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

He's talking about the influence gain from unit gifts decreasing when gifting units. He thinks it's decreasing too steeply (I don't, btw).

15. Gidoza

Gidoza Chieftain

Let me clarify: I don't think it's decreasing too steeply. I think the steepness is fine: all I'm saying is that the curve down begins too early.

16. cammcken

cammcken Chieftain

Whenever I gift units, it's almost always because I want the see the city with a stronger standing army, either for self defense or to be more useful during my wars. The influence gain is just a side effect. I don't see the point in producing units for CS sale when I can just produce diplomats. Unless you guys often find yourselves with too many units and need to get rid of some.

17. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

I only find myself out of units when War Weariness wears my War Supply down significantly. So in order to continue the war I start planting revolutionary thoughts into neighboring city-states and have them attack in my favor.