CTD frequency

I don't understand why some of us have a lot of soft CTD without using another mod than VP, they always start at the industrial era, and are very common (like every 10 turn), in all our game since few releases :(. And some of us get really few ctd and can enjoy more the game.

Every now and then it's safe performing a clean install (verify integrity of local files/delete cache and mods folders/install latest VP then your mods).

Often there are leftover settings and or values stored in game variables or options (using RAS on assigning plot override is a nuke bomb on stability sometime).

Civ 5 is relatively small so it's quite fast to reinstall even from scratch.

Im playing 12-1. In single player i almost never get ctd.
Ive got a strong pc so that may help.
However multiplayer with 1 buddie we frequently get issues at various stages.
Alot of the tips on these forums have helped but we do still experience sporadic hangs between turns starting around turn 80.

However this mod is so good it does not deter us from continuing.

We often do not continue to an actual victory. This is only partially due to the issues. Its more a reflection of us realizing one of us has pull ahead and want to start a new game to try a new civ or strat.

Seriously the replayability of this mod is ridoc.

Just created a huge (128x80) map which seems to be a bad idea since I get an unusual amount of soft ctds. Thought my rig would be good enough.

\Skodkim

Every now and then it's safe performing a clean install (verify integrity of local files/delete cache and mods folders/install latest VP then your mods).

Often there are leftover settings and or values stored in game variables or options (using RAS on assigning plot override is a nuke bomb on stability sometime).

This. And +1

This works magic if you're having CTD issues. Lately I just manually delete the cache files. But back in the day I used to just uninstall and reinstall.

I will try, thank you ! :)

Just created a huge (128x80) map which seems to be a bad idea since I get an unusual amount of soft ctds. Thought my rig would be good enough.

\Skodkim
unfortunately civ 5 is 32bit, so you could have a nasa supercomputer and would still soft CTD when it's using ~2.8gb and hard CTD once it gets to around ~3.2gb+
bigger the map the more ram it uses

unfortunately civ 5 is 32bit, so you could have a nasa supercomputer and would still soft CTD when it's using ~2.8gb and hard CTD once it gets to around ~3.2gb+
bigger the map the more ram it uses
Very true. It might be that with the modmods I have, I've hit an asset limit.

Very true. It might be that with the modmods I have, I've hit an asset limit.
tbf it's actually really hard to hit the memory limit.

i'm on turn 1,200 (marathon/huge) and it's like 1998AD so real late game. VP(EUI) + 74 mods/modmods some of them quite heavy like R.E.D and cultural diversity etc and literally my web browser is using more memory than the game

just check your task manager in-game and see how much it's using. if you are hitting around 2.8gb that explains the ctds but i'd seriously consider looking into all your mods as you may have one that's incredibly poorly coded/optimized or causing a memory leak

if you're nowhere near 2.8gb then i'd delete your mods folder and just reinstall it all and any other mods/modmods just add them one at a time. if you start CTDing then you'll know which one is doing it. VP its self seems to be the most stable its ever been, i'm pleasantly surprised that i haven't crashed once this entire game and i've had it running since saturday lol!

The amount of Mobile SAM built by the AI is alarming...
lol! afraid of my stealth bombers i guess! though i kept being gifted mobile sams from CS allies and vassal tribute and they have 2 CS allies themselves and i think songhai chose authority too se everytime their city hits multiple of 10 they get a conscript, last era all mine were AA then mobile sam, so im sure that contributed to it.

does make me laugh how they gathered them all there though where my stealth bomber base is down there. probably just a coincidence but funny nonetheless

tbf it's actually really hard to hit the memory limit.

i'm on turn 1,200 (marathon/huge) and it's like 1998AD so real late game. VP(EUI) + 74 mods/modmods some of them quite heavy like R.E.D and cultural diversity etc and literally my web browser is using more memory than the game

just check your task manager in-game and see how much it's using. if you are hitting around 2.8gb that explains the ctds but i'd seriously consider looking into all your mods as you may have one that's incredibly poorly coded/optimized or causing a memory leak

if you're nowhere near 2.8gb then i'd delete your mods folder and just reinstall it all and any other mods/modmods just add them one at a time. if you start CTDing then you'll know which one is doing it. VP its self seems to be the most stable its ever been, i'm pleasantly surprised that i haven't crashed once this entire game and i've had it running since saturday lol!

Hey,
My game hits ~1400 mb in task manager at turn 280 + using standard speed. I still get soft CTD really often from turn ~280, I play on 10 players map. Each time I have to chose a new Tech I get a soft CTD when I open the tech tree so I have to load the last save to be able to pick a new tech, making the game unplayable (soft CTD each 6-10 turns).

To solve my problem I tested Luajit, Unistall the game, delete the cash folder, lower the ingame graphic, use Directx9 instead of Directx11, reinstall the mod (but I get the problem every patch...), reinstall my windows and I used mem86 to verify my Ram.

Actually I test the 3rd and 4th Unique Components mod for VP and (it is not a surprise, one more mod ^^') I have the same problem. (normaly I use VP alone)

I really don't understand... I have 0 crash before industrial era. I love VP, so it make me really sad. :(

Any solution that I didn't yet tested ? I am out of idea

Last edited:
Hey,
My game hits ~1400 mb in task manager at turn 280 + using standard speed. I still get soft CTD really often from turn ~280, I play on 10 players map. Each time I have to chose a new Tech I get a soft CTD when I open the tech tree so I have to load the last save to be able to pick a new tech, making the game unplayable (soft CTD each 6-10 turns).

To solve my problem I tested Luajit, Unistall the game, delete the cash folder, lower the ingame graphic, use Directx9 instead of Directx11, reinstall the mod (but I get the problem every patch...), reinstall my windows and I used mem86 to verify my Ram.

Actually I test the 3rd and 4th Unique Components mod for VP and (it is not a surprise, one more mod ^^') I have the same problem. (normaly I use VP alone)

I really don't understand... I have 0 crash before industrial era. I love VP, so it make me really sad. :(

Any solution that I didn't yet tested ? I am out of idea
which version of VP are you using? if you're crashing when using a new tech that gives a little hint, are you using any modmods that alter the tech tree in anyway?

which version of VP are you using? if you're crashing when using a new tech that gives a little hint, are you using any modmods that alter the tech tree in anyway?
I use only VP, and sometimes VP + the 3rd and 4th Unique Components mod for VP. I am on last Beta but I already had the problem on previous patchs.

Maybe the informations on my task manager are false and in reality the game uses 1400 * 2 = 2800 mb of Ram ? But if it is true I don't understand why my Civ5 uses that much Ram...

if you have memory issues i guess best lever you have is to reduce the graphics settings. did not do systematic checks yet ... but the 500 MB mentioned above seems very low indeed.

I looked closely to my task manager and the game didn't used more than 1,6 gb of RAM when it crashed. 99% of my crash are related to the tech tree, is there a way to chose a new tech without visit it ? ^^'

I use only VP, and sometimes VP + the 3rd and 4th Unique Components mod for VP. I am on last Beta but I already had the problem on previous patchs.

Maybe the informations on my task manager are false and in reality the game uses 1400 * 2 = 2800 mb of Ram ? But if it is true I don't understand why my Civ5 uses that much Ram...
yeah it's not a memory issue in your case. sounds like an install problem or a conflict somewhere if it's crashing on tech tree.

i'd delete your mods folder entirely and reinstall from fresh

if you have memory issues i guess best lever you have is to reduce the graphics settings. did not do systematic checks yet ... but the 500 MB mentioned above seems very low indeed.
pretty normal during peace times, usually doubles or even triples during war

Hey, I tried to play without EUI so I can chose new tech without open the tech tree, but I still get random soft CTD anyway, no long time after I chose a new tech so it feels like my problem is related to the memory. I tried to reduce my graphics and I still get soft CTD :'(. What is strange is that my game doesn't take more than 1,2 gb of RAM with reduced graphics (1,4 gb with max graphics)...
I already tried to reinstall the game, but it fixed nothing.

I am out of ideas :( Maybe incompatibility between my PC and VP...

Hey, I tried to play without EUI so I can chose new tech without open the tech tree, but I still get random soft CTD anyway, no long time after I chose a new tech so it feels like my problem is related to the memory. I tried to reduce my graphics and I still get soft CTD :'(. What is strange is that my game doesn't take more than 1,2 gb of RAM with reduced graphics (1,4 gb with max graphics)...
I already tried to reinstall the game, but it fixed nothing.

I am out of ideas :( Maybe incompatibility between my PC and VP...
not the game, your MODS folder. did you completely delete that and do a clean install of VP?

with it crashing on tech tree it does sound like you have a conflict/bad install somewhere. i'd go to my games/civ 5/ and delete the 'mods' folder completely. boot the game up fresh so it'll create a new one, then exit and reinstall VP from scratch

not the game, your MODS folder. did you completely delete that and do a clean install of VP?

with it crashing on tech tree it does sound like you have a conflict/bad install somewhere. i'd go to my games/civ 5/ and delete the 'mods' folder completely. boot the game up fresh so it'll create a new one, then exit and reinstall VP from scratch

Good idea, I will try it, thank you !

I've been trying to play VP multiplayer with 2 other people and are getting either long turn times by turn 100 and a CTD on some mod packs. I think this could be due to them just being old but havent really experienced them with the beta versions of VP as long as you remember to clear cache.

Does anyone recommend a specific version of VP for multiplayer? I've been testing out the latest beta version but just wanted to check.

Top Bottom