CtD on Load after Video Drivers Update

I've started this thread to respond to a request for assistance originally posted in the Bug Thread:

Hi all!

i just got this wierd problem, that, everytime i start FfH2 i get a CtD when the starting movie should start playing ...
other mods, like LoR run fine, just FfH2 (and Modmods) give me this CtD.

I have all recent updates like patch J ... ran smooth yesterday.

i installed the new Nvidia Drivers (195.62) but switched back to some 180.xx number, which i had yesterday, in order to check whether it was due to the new drivers i installed, but it wasnt the cause of the CtD :(

could anyone point me in the right direction for research on this problem?

my system is : Intel Core2Duo 8400, 3 GB Ram, Nvidia7800GTX, Win XP SP3 ...

nothing really changed except the gfx-drivers and now i am stuck with this ...

thx in advance

Are you able to load into and play vanilla BtS (ie not a mod)? Do movies display correctly?

Do you have the optional FfH2 Media Pack installed? If so, disable movies and try starting FfH2. You can disable movies from the BtS main menu: click ADVANCED, then OPTIONS, then select the "Graphics" tab, and finally place an X in the "No Movies" box (in the lower-right). Does FfH2 still crash after this change?

Turn on python error messages. (Go to the first post of the Bug Thread, find the section Reporting Issues, and follow the instructions in item #5.) Do you receive any error messages before FfH2 crashes, or after? If so please post screenshots or transcribe the error text into a post.

Do you launch FfH2 using a shortcut from your desktop, or do you first launch BtS and then load FfH2 from the menu? If you haven't tried both those methods, do so. Does the Mod crash when loading using both of those methods? If you see any new error messages with either method, please post the details.

first quick reply: there were no error messages ... absolutely none, just a plain CtD when the movie was supposed to start, all logs were clean too :(

Did you change the ini?

I'm asking because I had an unexplainable crash like this too a short time ago at the point where the movie should be playing. Hit me only in multiplayer games though. Deleting the file CivilizationIV.ini and letting Civ4 create a new one fixed it for me.

I am experiencing the same thing now. I haven't played this game or this MOD in a while. This is a fresh install of both Civ4: BtS and the latest FfH with patch from the first page of the thread. AFAIK everything is up to date.

BtS loads fine, and the normal from the BtS folder MODs load fine. I have tried loading it through BtS as well as using the launch shortcut. I have enabled python logs and no log messages are shown. It simply does not start. The game crashes to desktop before the splash screen or anything is shown at all.

I tried setting the screen resolution down from the 1680x1050 I usually play on but nothing. I deleted the CivilizationIV.ini file and let Civ 4 re-create it, but nothing. I am still searching through the forum for a fix but nothing so far.

I have read the "How to install FfH" thread and followed it carefully, but still nothing.

Can anyone help with this?

Kyrei, I see from your other thread that you were able to resolve your problem. I believe that HahnHolio had already patched BtS to v3.19, because he was able to play FfH2 before updating his video drivers, so these two problems appear to be unrelated.

sorry to be late, but rl got the hang of me :)
i sadly dont know what happened, but a fresh install of BtS and FfH2 made things work again, but still, in Fall Further, i have to disable movies to play, not in FfH2 ... strange !!!

still, no log messages for Fall Further ... i simply don´t get it, but at least it works for now ...

cheers

HahnHolio

Top Bottom