CTD when loading graphics

euskingc

Chieftain
Been trying to play this version 4.0. Have not played any previous versions. When I load the mod, in the scenario selection screen only one scenario is available in the list of scenarios (along with all the other scenarios that come with civ4 and expansion packs. I click on the scenario for FFH 2 and theres no option to choose any further scenario or civ, I get stuck automatically with Bannor. After I hit ok, it crashes to desktop when it tries to load the graphics.

Running V3.17 of bts.
Most recent version of FFS 2 patched to 0.40
running vista

have no experience loading mods for civ4.
am i forgetting to do something to make the graphics load properly?
at what point am i supposed to be able to see all these scenarios to be able to choose between them all?

Will try loading scenarios from xml/scenarios in the meantime.

Even loading the scenarios from xml/scenarios directly causes CTD during INIT GRAPHICS

Can you start a normal game just through the custom game menu?

When you start Civ4 do you get the fall from heaven main menu graphics or the BtS graphics?

Hey man,

thanks for getting back to me on this so soon. Sorry been working everyday since boxing day, so havent had time to try to get this working again.

When I open civ4.exe no, I dont get any of the fall from heaven main menu graphics, the graphics are the same as they were before I installed BtS or Warlords.
If I want it to run Bts main menu graphics, I open Civ4BeyondSword.exe
To get the Fall from Heaven main menu graphics Ive got to open Fall From Heaven 2.exe

does that answer your question?

As for being able to start a normal game through the custom game menu, I'm not sure that I follow you. By normal game you just mean a normal, vanilla type stone age to space age non-scenario type game? I havent had any problems doing so, before or after instally Warlords, BtS, or FFH2. I'm able to do so if I start the game under warlords.exe, Civ4beyondsword.exe, as well as civ4.exe

Does that answer your first question or did u want to know if i could start a normal game through the custom game menu using Fall From heaven 2.exe?

just a clarification.

updated to patch n.
running fall from heaven.exe, i do get the correct fall from heaven menu graphics and background picture and whatnot, and trying to run a custom game causes the same crash at INIT Graphics

I am having the exact same problem as euskingc. Running:

Windows Vista 32-bit
Service Pack 1

I have no problems playing vanilla Civ 4. I have been able to load the Mod's splash menu from both the "load mod" option in the vanilla game and from the "fall from heaven.exe"

Every thing works fine until "INIT GRAPHICS" during the game setup and I get a CtD.

I appreciate any help because this mod looks AMAZING and I can't wait to play it. Thank you.

Edit: I should also mention I'm running v 3.17 of BtS and have patched to .40n.

Hi all. First let me say I played Fall from Heaven 2 on my old computer and think its fantastic. Problem is it won't run on my new computer. Gets to the in INIT GRAPHICS and crashes to desktop. I'm running 2 GeForce GXT 260 in SLI mode if that helps. I'd appreciate some help if any ones got time. THANKS. Oh and I can run everything else in Beyond the Sword fine.

1. Try going into Advanced -> About this Build. See what it says in the Civ version line. Make sure it says 317. If it doesnt you don't have patch 3.17 applied and you need to download and install it. If you dont have this then your game will crash when displaying the map.

2. Make sure you have installed the full Fall from Heaven mod, and not just a patch. The 'Fall from Heaven 2' directory should be about 750 meg in size. If you are trying to just run a patch the game will crash when loading.

3. Some computers can't display the opening move. If this is the case you will be able to load a scenario (i disable the opening move for scenarios) but wont be able to start a normal custom game. To fix it disable movies int he CivilizationIV.ini file in the Beyond the Sword directory.

Karl: Thanks for the help, patch 317 seems to have sorted the problem.

Hey again Kael,

I think I sorted out the problem yesterday on my day off. Been playing the game a bit since and let me just say that it is amazing. Best fantasy/strategy game I've ever played to be honest. So with that I ask, is there anything I can do to help? Any more projects on the go?

My only complaint: not enough Khazad scenarios. Should be a whole series of them. &$^#ing love dwarves.

Finally, what the problem was:

If you're using an older no CD crack (ie version 3.03 or some such thing), like I was, don't. Re-replace it with the original unedited .exe v3.17 and pop the BTS CD in the drive and all should work well.

And Kael, sorry I had you scratching your head on this one for nothing. Problem was entirely user created in this case.

Thank you Kael, I reinstalled everything and now it's working great. 5 stars, you guys rock, FfH FTW!

I have this same problem, but am also having problems installing the 3.17 patch. It seems to work fine, and as far as the patch installer is concerned, everything works perfectly. However, when I start up BtS, advanced->about this build tells me that the version is in fact 3.13, not 3.17. Or at least, it thinks that is the version. Any idea on what could cause this? Restarting hasn't helped.

Edit: Tried disabling the movies, and now I get this error when trying to start up FFH at all:

This application has failed to start because BOOST_PYTHON-VC71-MT-1_32.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Edit Edit: Re-enabling intro movies doesn't fix this problem...

Some people have had problems using the auto-updated to apply the 3.17 patch. So instead they download 3.17 off of civfanatics or another site and install it themselves.

That's exactly what I did. Autoupdater just says there's a new patch, asks if I want to install, I click yes, it says there is no patch, and then when I try to do something else or quit the game, it says I have to wait until the patch is finished. Which isn't downloading. So, I force it to quit, go online, and download the patch, install it, say's "Yay, you're updated!" Then I check in advanced->about this build, and it says I'm still on 3.13, not 3.17, which is what I installed the patch for. So, I try to patch again, it says I've already patched. Get annoyed, go online, post on these forums. Then, I download the patch from a different site, try again, it also says I've got the patch installed. I tell it to install it anyways, no luck. Downloaded the patch from a THIRD site (all 3 of these I was directed to from here, BTW. Gamershell, Fileshack, and one other I don't recall) and no changes. Patcher says I'm all updated, game itself, disagrees, and bugs that are supposed to be fixed in 3.17 are still present.

:wallbash:

That's exactly what I did. Autoupdater just says there's a new patch, asks if I want to install, I click yes, it says there is no patch, and then when I try to do something else or quit the game, it says I have to wait until the patch is finished. Which isn't downloading. So, I force it to quit, go online, and download the patch, install it, say's "Yay, you're updated!" Then I check in advanced->about this build, and it says I'm still on 3.13, not 3.17, which is what I installed the patch for. So, I try to patch again, it says I've already patched. Get annoyed, go online, post on these forums. Then, I download the patch from a different site, try again, it also says I've got the patch installed. I tell it to install it anyways, no luck. Downloaded the patch from a THIRD site (all 3 of these I was directed to from here, BTW. Gamershell, Fileshack, and one other I don't recall) and no changes. Patcher says I'm all updated, game itself, disagrees, and bugs that are supposed to be fixed in 3.17 are still present.

Have you tried uninstalling the game, re-installing, and then installing patch 3.17 straight away?

Thought of that, but was reluctant to do something that would take so long. I suppose I don't have much choice. Is there a CDkey I need to play the game? If there is, I'll need some way to get it out of my current game, since I don't have it now.

Top Bottom