1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

CTIV-5: Peacenik Re-education Camp

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by ChrTh, Jan 30, 2006.

1. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Do you find yourself constantly trying to win games via cultural or space race victories?
    Do you frequently make peace with another Civ when you have them on their heels and ready to collapse, rationalizing that you need to work on infrastructure for a few turns?
    Do you leave war declarations in an SG for the next player to make?

Then you may be the candidate we're looking for at the Peacenik Re-education Camp!

Difficulty: Prince
    Barbarians: Raging
    Civ: Mongolian (Aggressive) -- Genghis (Expansive)
    Land type: Continents
    Climate/Sea Level: Random
    Map Size: Standard
    Game Length: Normal
    Victory Conditions: All enabled, only Conquest allowed

Game Variant Rules:
    Some of you might remember the NOW (non-oscillating war) games in the CIII SG forum. We'll be doing something similar:
    --We need to keep track of the Civs we meet in the order we meet them.

--The first Civ we meet we can not trade anything with. After we meet the second Civ, we must immediately declare war on the first Civ, and we can not make peace with them until they or us are conquered. The second Civ is considered "on deck", and thus we can never trade with them. The third through sixth Civs get to wait in line. Once a Civ is conquered, we immediately declare war on the next in line, and we must cancel any deals we have with the new "on deck" Civ (we're allowed to make deals with any Civ that is neither "Up" or "on deck").

--We can never cave in to a demand from a Civ, regardless of where they are in the order. We can never enter into a formal defensive pact, however, we can join another war if asked (and the person asking isn't "on deck")

--Since Peaceniks seem to be leery of the :whipped: as well, we must revolt to Slavery when we get Bronze Working and stay there the entire game (Yep, Emancipation is not for us)

In all seriousness, I'm looking for peace-loving players. If you have bloodlust and conquest in your background, please don't sign up.

And if we're successful, the next camp will be AW! :groucho:

Roster
    ------
    ChrTh (20 turns to start)
    The Duff Man (15 turns)
    pling
    ruff_hi
    Scowler
    oldbustedjorn

When you sign up, please give your opinion on Civ choice. Also, if you feel Prince might be too much of a challenge for peaceniks, I'm willing to drop to Noble.

Note that I won't be starting this until this weekend (although I'll post the starting position once we've chosen a leader).

2. The Duff Man

The Duff Man Secret Fudd Lover

I'm in. I don't have any preference on leader. Flip a coin. Let's do Prince.

3. pling

pling Penguin

That sounds rather like me ;) so I'd like to join if I may :D

Civ preference - Kublai, I like the creative trait. Difficulty I'm not fussed about - I've never won on Prince, but I started to realise the other day that it was possible, I've just not done it yet :)

4. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Duff Man!, you're in. As are you, pling.

Ok, we have 1 vote for Kublai, and one abstention.

5. The Duff Man

I vote Ghengis. At Prince the health bonus helps. We are going to want to build Granaries if we are whipping our population. We can always build SH or libraries for culture.

6. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Good point. 1 vote for Genghis, 1 vote for Kublai.

7. Snaproll

Snaproll Hamster Sidekick

Man, this would have been a fun one! I'm maxed out, but I'll be lurking.

8. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

Oh - you could you be so cruel - you must not war with poeple like this - remember that they have every right to live in this world.

Ok, better sign me up too - if that's ok with you :D

Ghengis!

9. The Duff Man

Do we HAVE to eliminate the civs in order of meeting them? Just wondering if we get a civ down to one or two small far away cities (on an island for example) are we bound into taking them out before making war on the next one, or is it OK as long as we don't make peace with the civ that is "up".

10. Scowler

Scowler Mr. Understatement

I wasn't planning on playing any more SGs for a while, but that description matches me completely and I guess the Turtle Game will be wrapping up soon anyway. I'm crap at war and have never achieved a military victory in any version of Civ. Can I volunteer for re-education?

Leader choice would be Genghis, of course, for reasons already outlined above.

11. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

ruff_hi: you're in. Another vote for Genghis, and I'm convinced as well, so Genghis it is.

I recommend everyone starts practicing with the appropriate smileys. :hammer: :whipped: :hammer:

12. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

If we want to declare on the "on deck" Civ before eliminating the "up" Civ, that's ok, it's just that we always have to have a war going on. However, once we declare war on a Civ, we can not make peace with them (if someone declares on us, we can make peace--but only in favorable circumstances for us).

Scowler, you're in.

13. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Since 24 is on tonight, I might not get the first 20 done, but I'll definitely post the starting position for discussion. I would like a 6th player, though, because NOW games can take awhile, especially in the later game.

14. oldbustedjorn

oldbustedjorn Chieftain

ChrTh:

You had one spot left (???), I'm not a veteran, but I have a tendency to stay peaceful unless I have a huge tech lead or I"m forced to.... This would be perfect for me - if there is room...

15. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

oldbustedjorn, you're in.

Roster is now full. Everyone please make sure they subscribe to this thread. Also, please post a Got It so I know you have it, and never edit an existing post when posting your turns.

16. IceLion

IceLion Living in denial

Reporting for alternate duty, would love to fill in if you need an extra.

-IceLion

17. ucel

ucel Chieftain

:cry: Buuuuuu, I'm too late :cry:

Put me on alternates list as well :(

18. oldbustedjorn

oldbustedjorn Chieftain

My vote for civ would be Kublai Khan - if we're fighting, our cities will pick up culture without having to build stonehenge, theaters or obelisks. And we'll need happiness more then health. I could be wrong on this - and thats why I'm on the roster....

19. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Happiness probably won't be an issue because typically we can add happy resource after resource via conquest. Another thing we won't have to worry about too much is building settlers.

Note that the barbarians are raging; we're going to have to be military-focused from the beginning.

20. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

That is a good point - hmmn. I guess it would be better to be Ghengis if we are planning to build really big, happy cities and win via culture or space race or ... :nono: ... WHAT AM I SAYING ... :help: I need more :ar15: :aargh: :hammer: Hmmn - Kublai might be good to get our new cities up and running again - so we can :whipped: them!