CTIV-5: Peacenik Re-education Camp

Lurker's comment: In Civ4, you get war weariness no matter what civic you are using. So if you are always at war, won't you get so much war weariness :mad: that all your citizen will refuse to work at some point? :eek: Shouldn't you add a rule to give yourself some chance against it, like one turn between the end of a war and the beginning of another?

BTW, I consider myself a warmonger and the most war weariness I experienced so far war was around 75% of the population. If it tops at 100% of the population, I guess you will need 2 happiness per population point to keep them working.

While there is a lot of AW SG in civ3, I think this is the first one I see in civ 4, so that is why I am just curious on how you intend to counter that.

Yea, restart was a good idea. Raging barbs wouldn't have done much as we could have busted fog easily. By the time we met anyone it would be hard to fight if they had a tech lead. I'm not even sure what strategy you should you on that sort of island start...

The new roll looks better - incoming barbs from all directions!!

Some initial observations (trying to get my feeble brain in gear):
Good thing we went with Genghis: all those floodplains will be mighty unhealthy. We'll have to think carefully about our chopping strategy. Those trees are in a bad position for us defensively, providing lurking spots for barbs and others next to our city and cows, and 5 of them are currently swallowing the commercial potential of riverside tiles. However, they are also currently boosting the health of the city AND providing the bulk of the hammers (assuming we settle in place). The 2 trees to the W are on plains tiles, so chopping them may be a waste, depending on what else is nearby.

Any interest in moving NE to settle. That will give us both hills to work. We are going to be hurting for production from this city. Or we don't worry about it, make this a Great Person and whipping factory and get another production city going elsewhere.

SE better, surely? River defense on 3 sides; hills; less unhealthy. NE also wastes a floodplain. Downside is possibly more plains - and more trees to obsess over.

We don't want to rely too heavily on whipping in the capital (I think...)

Ya that is better, I didn't notice the second hill to the far SE. Gives us lots of forest next to the capital to chop.

I'm going to move the scout and post a screenshot of that to give us a better idea of the starting location. I'll do that tonight.

Ok, I moved the scout towards the SE-E to give us a better view.

The computer likes the settler's current location, what does everyone think?

It looks like moving SE will give 1 wasted tile to the capital.

CTIV-5B.jpg

I would think settle where you are. I hovered my cursor over the spice but it wouldn't tell me what the bonus was - then I remembered it was just a picture (too much CIV?).

ruff_hi said:
I would think settle where you are. I hovered my cursor over the spice but it wouldn't tell me what the bonus was - then I remembered it was just a picture (too much CIV?).

:lol: I've done that too. Quite frustrating!

Lurker's comment: I'm looking for a SG to join, this one would have been perfect, dang. So I'll be sitting in the back row taking notes... :coffee:

Also, I find that, if there isn't a clear/obvious reason to move before settling, the starting spot rarely disappoints.

Lurker will shut up now.

It would suck to have that hut pop with strong barbs, wouldn't it?

I haven't satisfied myself that I understand the rules for popping huts. I don't think I've ever seen the founding of the first city produce anything but coin, ever. Should probably go run a test in the worldbuilder...

Scouts, maps, gold. Even testing on Deity, that seems to be all the huts deliver when you pop them with the first city.

I'm happy with settling where we are - it looks a bit production-light, but I guess if we're :whipped: lots then it's kinda irrelevant :D

pling said:
... I guess if we're :whipped: lots then it's kinda irrelevant :D

That's really the key question: do we want to keep whipping at the capital? I'm not sure that's a good idea. Settling in place is definitely the "safe" option here, but this position (in general) doesn't look all that good for this particular variant. My thought is that we need to get a barracks up and running fairly briskly so we can pump out a few cheap Medic I warriors that can support our archer sentry/garrisons when the barbs start raging.

I would still be inclined to move or we are going to have squat for production in our capital. The flood plains will give us enough food that we can work the hills.

Well, we have a couple choices here. Here's how I see it:

If we stay in the current spot, we'll have forests for some production (5 tiles), and we can put cottages on the flood plains for extra commerce. More commerce, less production.

If we move SE, we'll have to put farms on the flood plain to make up for the food lost by working the hills. More production, less commerce.

Southeast seems like a possible move - although I usually hate to move too much because it usually means losing resources. It look like tundra to the southeast so we may actually be making better use of our space.

But even with our military emphasis, it may be good to have ONE city that can give us settlers, workers, and beakers - our next city would definitely need to be production oriented.

ChrTh said:
If we move SE, we'll have to put farms on the flood plain to make up for the food lost by working the hills. More production, less commerce.

Not necessarily. Once we have chopped the riverside trees (which we will want to do anyway to unlock the commerce from those tiles) we can farm the grassland/plains tiles, which should provide more than enough excess for decent growth when coupled with cottaged FPs.

Top Bottom