CTP.....never played it!

Riderforlife13

Chieftain
I've never played CTP. I love CivIII but I miss a few things about CivII. Like trade, I loved having to protect my trade ships trying to get them to the longest trade route to make the most money.

Is CTP worth playing after playing CivIII? It's price has gone way down and wouldn't cost too much. Just don't want to buy something that isn't any good.

Buy CTP2 if you can find it. But both CTP1 and 2 are good games IMHO.

The Call to Power series introduced some novel concepts to the civ community. Take the Public Works idea for example. Instead of having workers/settlers running around building roads, mines, etc. you just allocate some of your budget to build those improvements.

Another thing that a lot of people like about CTP is the stacked combat system. If you have a stack of say 12 units they all fight together. What happens is up to 12 units can participate in a battle at once. A screen pops up and displays all of your forces vs. all of your enemies forces. Some units can bombard or shoot from behind the lines at the enemy forces without suffering any damage.

There are wonder movies, huge maps, and many more features that make this game fun. If you get CTP2 there are tons of modpacks out there to help you get an even more enjoyable experience with the game.

There are a few issues though. Many people don't like the interface. I think once you get used to it though it's not that bad. The other thing about CTP2 is the weak AI but if you get the game patched and modded with the "cradle mod" you will enjoy a better experience.

My 2 cents for whatever it's worth.

I recommend CTP2 and then definitely patch it to v1.11. This fixes heaps of problems. After that, download one of these MODS:

- Med Pack 2: Adds heaps to the game. New units, new techs. A little outdated now due to newer modifications to the AI, but still a good play.
- Cradle: At present the best MOD out there. Contains all the latest and greatest AI modifications. Begins 4000 years before the standard game. Adds heaps of new stuff to the game, mostly in the pre-history time between 7000BC and 4000BC.
- Apolyton: A collection of modifications that enhance the standard single player game. Basically, it's what the designers were aiming for. Adds nothing new to the game, just fixes it, balances it, and makes the AI fight.
- World At War: A new MOD still in beta (though a release is due soon). Starts at 1900AD and goes to 1950AD, with each month a turn. Concentrates on the world war period from the invention of powered flight to the a-bomb. Very agressive, totally new techs and units, and still being worked on.

If you want more info on any of these MODs, check this sites opposition. :)

If CTP2 had the AI from Civ3 (or even the AI from CTP1), if it had civ unique units and the "hidden nationality" flag, it would be the best civ game available. I really wish Civ3 would've borrowed the stacked combat system from CTP. You really have a reason to build archers in CTP(2). I think it's easier to immerse yourself in the CTP games also. You can name your armies and the units even talk to you ("Blood shall run.")! It's also extremely customizable. WAY more than Civ3. It's definitely a good game with the mods.

Originally posted by Dale
After that, download one of these MODS:

Make that" "one or more, preferably all" :D

dog,
Modded CtP2 AI is IMHO better than the AI in Civ3 (it doesn't cheat in quite such obvious ways and it isn't forced to resort to ICS and such just to be able to be competitive, to name 2 advantages). Also, MedMod has so called 'Elite units', which are comparable to Civ3's UU concept but better (because not tied to specific Civs so that everyone starts out equally: part of the very foundation of the Civ philosophy IMHO). The hidden nationality is in limited form already present in the sense of conquest distress and similar features. Granted, Civ3 has it more elaborate and more explicit, but the concept is not complete absent in CtP. Other elements of Civ3's culture concept can also be seen in (modded) CtP or are currently being developed by the modmakers.

Riderforlife13,
If you can pick it up cheap, you can't loose on CtP2. It has some really nice new features, such as PW, stacked combat, unconventional warfare, MP, etc and the best part of it is that it's still actively being improved by the modmakers of Apolyton, so even if you don't like it with and without the mods, you can always come back in 6 months and see how much has been improved. (CtP1 is nice too but noone is working on new mods or scenarios anymore).

I bought it last night from Best Buy. They had 4 copies. 1 for 49.99, 2 for 39.99, 1 for 29.99. Funniest thing I ever saw in Best Buy before. But, that's not the best part. When I got to the counter, THE PRICE WAS ONLY 19.99.

Anyway, I've downloaded several of the Mods, I haven't unzipped them yet because I kinda want to get a feel for the game first. I will probably unzip them this weekend. So far, I'm not dissapointed. Got a few things to get used to though, and some things I don't yet quite understand.

Thanks for all the advice though, it's really helped.

Originally posted by Riderforlife13
because I kinda want to get a feel for the game first
I agree, that would be a very good thing to do.

So far, I'm not dissapointed. Got a few things to get used to though, and some things I don't yet quite understand.
That's good to hear. Feel free to ask if you have any questions...

RiderForLife:

Definitely, try the game without any MODS first. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PATCH! Do not even THINK of playing CTP2 without the Activision patch 1.1 or 1.11 (they're the same, 1.11 is the international one). After that, play the Apolyton Pack. This makes CTP2 as it should've been. Basically, it's the patch to bring it to release. ;) After that, play with Med Mod, Cradle or the others like GoodMod, World At War and others.

all CTP2 has to do and also Civ3 is to have a battle system as close as possible to that of Lord of the Realms 2, and 3.
But like you know, the battle doesnt have to zoom in and you control like 49543098 spearmen when it shows as one on the regular screen.....
but it would be nice to see how many troops it exactly has, and how much you have, so you can easily calculate.
Or even better, make the battle system like the one Starcraft uses.

Top Bottom