1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CTP1 how to add extra players?

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Saul, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Saul

Saul Chieftain

I'm working on a personal mod of CTP and my stumbling block seems to be having more than 8 players (not online multiplayer, but single player games) to the game.
    I've browsed through the text files multiple times and have found numerous references to number of civilisations including:

In profile.txt
    Changing this number, and many others in text files does not seem to have an effect though, possibly to do with the fact that the initiate game screen still only offers 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 player options.

Can anyone help?
    I don't mind if it only starts with 8 but cities rebel to form their own civs, in fact that would be better as it would be more realistic and provide a greater challenge for maintaining an empire.

Thanks

Saul

P.S. In case your interested I have already completely remade the tech tree to be more realistic, added the library of alexandria, a few other buildings, made the science last far longer so you don't keep finding your last units are obsolete before you get a good chance to use them, set the start year back to 10,000 BC to the real start of civilisation, changed every turn to 1 year, made the map far bigger and made it more likely for cities to rebel in order to reflect the more dynamic history of different civilisations. However I would like these to be new civs and not simply barbarians that way rather than meeting completely unrelated neighbours after a couple hundred years your surrounded by neighbours who used to be a part of your empire.

2. Saul

Saul Chieftain

I also found this...

9+ CIVS
    ======================================
    It’s exactly the same way as in CTP, you just edit the
    userprofile.txt file
    in the ctp directory... and change the line
    NumPlayers=##
    Maxplayers=(numberplayers +1-2)
    Note though that just like CTP, the extra players aren’t
    covered by Activision, and you can’t launch a new game
    you have to go through the editor...

But I'm a little unsure what it meant by "(numberplayers +1-2)" Is this to be typed in exactly or is it an explanation of what to type.
    Also what is 'the editor.'
    I have tried every combination I can think of and gone through the cheat menu which I thought could be the editor, but still can't find a way to add extra computer opponents.

3. BureauBert

BureauBert Chieftain

As it's obviously the same as in CTP2:

NumPlayers = the number of players including the barbarians (and the HUMAN, of course)
    MaxPlayers = the highest number (index) of civs that can appear in a game -- if this number is higher than the number of civs currently in the game, a revolt will add a new civ, otherwise the revolting city will just join good old barbs

Going through "the editor": In CTP2 this simply means that you can't set a higher number of players than "8" (which corresponds to "NumPlayers = 9" = regular civs + barbs) via the in-game menu. So you need to change NumPlayers in "userprofile.txt" via the text editor of your choice (e.g. NotePad or whatever your system provides) -- you may then start a new game with this setting without touching the NumPlayers-setting in the menu.

4. Saul

Saul Chieftain

Thanks for your help, still having trouble though.
    I have gone to the file ctp_program/ctp/userprofile.txt and changed the values to:

NumberPlayers=12
    MaxPlayers=24

As well as changing the leader name, just to check......nothing has happened.
    I am wondering if somehow I have not correctly started a new game...
    Single Player > New Game > Launch

I have also tried changing the corresponding values in the file in ctp_data/default/profile.txt
    This has also had no effect.
    Finally I've tried dragging and dropping 'userprofile.txt' onto the civ icon, which starts the game menu, but still fails to give me 12 civs.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
    (Just in case though, these civs should show up in 'ranking' and in 'diplomacy' right? I have been using those to gauge it, not searched the entire map.)

5. BureauBert

BureauBert Chieftain

If you are using Windows 7 there is another issue to care about: Windows 7 doesn't like files within the "Program Files"-folder to be modified by the user or an application and therefore it puts a "working copy" into a so-called "compatibility files"-folder -- on my pc this can be found here:

"C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call To Power\"

So if you are using Windows 7 you need to make sure to modify the "clone" of userprofile.txt in the "virtual store" in order to achieve the desired effect. Of course this applies to every other modification as well.

6. Saul

Saul Chieftain

Thank you so much :)
    I'm on vista and though the 'appdata' file was somehow hidden it turned up in an extensive search.

I can finally create the ultimate game.

Thanks

Saul