1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cultivating a dose of Anglophilia!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Cam_H, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Spoiler :
    You can. If you found your city on one of the two tiles at the end of the eastern promontory (I would choose the unforested one ), then you can have a city with gold but without stealing a single tile from London. That's where I planned to found my next city in my save - would stop the Anger in London.

2. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I have opened some of the games, and there are quite some differences.
    Cam, why did you settle 1 tile from the coast?
    the lake tiles could have been 3/3 with a lighthouse, now they are just normal coast tiles, and the coast tiles are just useless!

3. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Spoiler :
    Is there enough food to be able to work the gold though, I don't think there is except if you steal the pigs from London. In any case, the gold at York is hooked up for the happy

4. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

"any longer"? :confused: Could you open it before?

I am not sure what the issue might be - aside from HoF mods and patches my system is otherwise 'mod-free'. I'll upload it with a different name if you want.

I traded off the :yuck: from lack of fresh water versus the :yuck: from lack of a Harbor (Compass). Nottingham shouldn't be working the water tiles post-Iron Working anyway for much of the game, so I'm not that concerned about the food, which can be made up for by farming the Grassland tile adjacent to the Lake if a population boost over-and-above the Pig Pasture is needed (I would use Windmills rather than Mines here too - which I guess is 'controversial' to some extent). I also didn't want to settle on a Dye tile, or go south a tile and miss the two Dyes to the north. There's settling opportunities to the west that would leave a column down the middle if I settled Nottingham on the east coast.

Your question though is quite valid - I think you can make a case either way.

(Image removed)

5. cabert

cabert Big mouth

It's just that I finished the game (yes, I can! I'm not in the roster :p) with this same city, just one tile east ;). Not optimal either, I concede it, but with scarce food, you don't want to lose the option of 3F3C tiles.

6. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Are you sure you don't want to be on the roster - or have you now spoiled yourself so you can't? ;)

7. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I replayed, reloaded and multifinished the game. I guess I have spoiled it a bit :mischief: .
    I even played another liz game to try my new "optimal liz strategy" out a bit (didn't finish this one though, time got tight).

I'm a bit unsure of what advice I can actually give here, since I spoiled this game so much.
    You know, diplomacy, timelines, trades to do or not, ..., those things are very important in a cultural game and I have hindsight on them. Guess it would be best if I just shut my mouth :blush:.

8. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

:lol:

... anyway ... renamed save of my submission for Öjevind.

(Link removed)

9. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Spoiler :
    Sure! Just build a lighthouse and, later on, a harbour. And don't forget that there is a forest tile for food and health. And one tile that can be irrigated, and a grasslands hill.

10. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Perhaps I am misremembering from reading your spoiler. Anyway, if you'd upload it with a different name I would be very grateful.

11. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Yes, this one worked without a hitch. I really don't understand why I couldn't open the other one - I waso offered the option to send an error report to Microsoft, and I did so. I hope they'll find it illuminating.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Spoiler :
    Anyway - pretty good save, as long as your new city isn't taken out by those barbarian warriors before your axeman arrives. And horses not too far away in the south!

12. FeedBack

FeedBack Time for some FeedBack!

Whoa! Back from a busy weekend! You guys have been busy too. Everybody but me and KMad played. And she's out of play as well.
    I suppose I have until this Friday to play, right? I'll try to do it tonight. I have not touched my notebook since last Wednesday... And I barely ran civ that day. Only to vote... Well, I don't think I'll do a great job on this cultural game... But I'll give it a shot.

As you can see, Thunderfall found my PM sent a long time ago, when you all began confusing your minds and hands with my board name. Now I'm FeedBack. I'll begin changing all the reference names around, but you should be safe if you still call me FB! ;)

13. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Welcome back 'The Artist formerly known as fbelintani' [pimp]

... we're miles ahead of schedule - take your time - not due for another five or six days. :)

14. FeedBack

FeedBack Time for some FeedBack!

Well, you waited for me. I thank you for that. But I don't think you're gonna like what you'll see here. I'll spoiler to save space...

Spoiler :

This is the first game I play since finishing the last Realms Beyond event. This is about.... 2 and a half weeks. I can't recall being this much without playing. So, be light on me! :please:

For those who want the short story, open this:
    Spoiler :

I saw the save and I went the default way: research Bronze Working for defense and then Oracle for CoL. Well, I cannot say that I got them....

After finishing The Wheel, I researched BW, than Priesthood. Buddhism was founded in 2080 BC by no one I know. After Priesthood, I went Writing and started the Oracle in York. I thought about timing it to my set's ending, as 875 BC is a good date for The Oracle.
    You can call me stubborn, but I founded Nottingham on the spot I founded York in my save! :lol:
    After writing, I went Masonry and then wanted to go Monotheism for trying Judaism. Then, on 1080 BC, disaster arrives and I lose both Judaism and The Oracle. So, I switch from Monotheism to CoL on the fly.

So, tomorrow I'll read your spoilers to see what I could've done better. If this was a trash game, I'm pretty much sure of which save would be picked!

Attached Files:

15. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

did you settle exactly on the dye? i hadn't dotmapped it all out in my head or even seen much further south, but when i was looking at the area and saw it and the surroundings, that was my instinct about where i would go, right on that dye.

and way back you said gus stole the best city site ever from you. were you looking at exactly where i put mine, or some other version of it? i love insights into your little felt mind *giggle*.

16. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

So, do we start mailing our votes to KMadCandy now?

17. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

I am actially surprised how low priority most put on getting source of stone.

I believe it is allways helpfull to have access to one of builder strategic resource, especially for cultural victory.
    3? religions I think use stone for there cafedrals and wanders usefull to.

I do not remember was it visible stright away from this save, but fog busting position is optimum next to it, so people should have seen it.

If we do not get it now, we will need to war America for it.

18. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Mutineer,

Even though I was aware of it from my first round, KMad's save indeed had it in unexplored turf, and my northern Warrior walked straight into Barbarians - so it's still in the black. On the other hand, to the south there are some good resources too, and I had fewer troubles with them bad guys down there.

You're quite right though - Stone and Marble would each be super handy for Cathedrals as well as desirable WoWs. :)

Öjevind,

By all means cast your votes, but they need not be tallied until the weekend. Again, if the roster wants to discuss these further - e.g. better to war vs. peaceful expansion vs. developmental focus vs. 'whatever' - then that would be great.

Clearly many of the games are quite different. Consider what you think was a strong strategy for not only at 875BC but also what will pay off 'down the track'.

As before, KMad's tallying the votes. She can determine the deadline, but mid-weekend would be appropriate. Non-voters give one point to every game but their own. KMad gets the casting vote in case of a tie. You have a total of six votes, giving three to the game you felt was 'most successful', two to the 'second most successful', and one to the 'third most successful' - what determines a 'successful' game is up to you.

19. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

"3? religions I think use stone for there cafedrals and wanders usefull to."

2 use stone, 2 use marble, 2 use copper.

"Even though I was aware of it from my first round, KMad's save indeed had it in unexplored turf"

sure did, especially up north. i was a bit obsessed about a certain spot :mischief:. didn't even think to go look at gus's city even tho i saw the borders, what a permanoob!

"By all means cast your votes, but they need not be tallied until the weekend. As before, KMad's tallying the votes. She can determine the deadline, but mid-weekend would be appropriate."

i never picked a deadline before. i don't have pressing plans except for friday night, no time crunch for me, so as soon as i get and add 'em all up i can post the result. i'm not sure what to determine *giggle*.

20. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Being another permanoob I'd never really paid much attention to resources for religious buildings. So I checked it out:

Buddhist Stupa - Copper

Christian Cathedral - Stone

Confucian Academy - Copper

Hindu Mandir - Marble

Islamic Mosque - Marble

Jewish Synagogue - Stone

Taoist Pagoda - Copper.

So 7 religions: 3 copper, 2 marble, 2 stone.

Kmad: If there is a tie for first place then you as returning officer get the casting vote.It doesn't happen very often but its an awesome responsibility ;) .