1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cultural and "Diplomatic" victories need depth

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Uniform Sierra, May 15, 2011.

1. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

I was looking at my "Hall of Fame" and the victories that I'd won. After assessing the information, I determined that most of my victories were cultural. I started thinking about this victory type and how I'd won it so frequently. It all boiled down to spending money on cultural city-states and hitting the Enter key 400 times. How lovely! What a fascinating way to spend ~400 turns! During most of my games I literally just hit Enter a dozen times until I had to change production for a building.

Then I started pondering diplomatic victories. You make sure each city has 2 or 3 trading posts, set your cities to Gold Focus, hit enter and occasionally use your mouse for maybe 3 clicks.

What I'm sure everybody with an IQ above ~3 has already figured out after reading this is how simple (read: boring) these victory conditions are. Sure there's a bit of worker and city management, but it's meaningless, especially when you compare it to scientific and especially domination victories which are a massive chore.

I'd like to dedicate this thread to discussing ways to improve/complicate these two victory types as I feel they are the two easiest to achieve and require fairly little work.

In my opinion, a diplomatic victory should solely rely on your actions throughout the course of that game. Gold should have little to no say in how much you influence a city-state. Another note, city-states should have a trading/discussion screen as with other civilizations. This is personal opinion but I'd be interested in hearing everybody else's in contrast to my own.

As for cultural victories, uhhh, I'm at a loss for ideas.

2. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

I've already said this in the ideas and sugg. section but I'll say it again here since you asked. I think a simple way to improve diplomatic victory without it being to complex a change that could have unforeseen consequences is to leave it as it is now, with two differences. When you've researched Globalization the UN is only available for you to build if you are at 'Friendly' status with half or more of the other civs. Also, triple the hammers of the UN.

Think about what the UN is all about. It would be crazy for a country that is at war with half of the world and has poor relations with the rest to try to implement some kind of UN. It wouldn't get off the ground. In order for that to happen you need to live in a world where most nations/civs more or less get along.

This could balance the diplo win with the science win a bit better and doesn't make any drastic changes that could affect gameplay in other areas.

3. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

4. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I feel the cultural victory is great as it is, especially compared to IV's cultural victory, but I do agree that the diplomatic victory really needs more depth. As I said in another thread: