1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

'Cultural' City Flipping

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Volapyk, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Volapyk

Volapyk Chieftain

Twice now I've seen this feature mentioned as being part of the expansion, yet never with any specific details to it. It was mentioned by Dennish Shirk in context of tourism and it's non cultural victory usages in an interview, and this article also supports the idea that it will happen through tourism.

I wonder how it will work, will it be like the old culture, tiles being flipped one at a time till a city finally falls, or will it be only for cities as that seems to be the only form of flipping that has been mentioned, now given that that is the more important part of the mechanic than the individual tiles so it is less likely to be mentioned. It will probably be a matter of the relative strength of the offensive civ to the culture of the defending civ, and people might already want to build up culture to keep someone from winning culturally.

Also I wonder how people feel about this mechanic, if it is to be reintroduced, given that, from what I know, it was a very polarized topic in previous installations.

I personally had a very love/hate relationship with this feature in civ4, loved to play builder and use culture aggresivly taking tiles and maybe even a city or two, but whenever I didn't focus on culture it was the most annoying thing ever to defend yourself against. So it is with mixed feelings that it seems this feature is returning to civ.

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

1. It's not gonna be as random as you'll be able to protect yourself from it.

2. I believe it was mentioned that cities will begin to flip if the Iedology's pressure is gonna built big enough taht your city will fall unhappy, and thus, will start to flip.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

As you say, there are no details, which leads me to be skeptical. But in any case it's hard to say whether the feature sounds good or bad when one has no idea how it works.

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

How do you explain Lisbon's huge cultural borders in the screenshot?

5. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

I'd never put it passed a gaming journalist to use this forums' speculation as a source for an article either. So a slip of the tongue from Dennis Shirk would comparatively be a gold mine to throw in an article.

6. JSMCAG

JSMCAG Chieftain

Let's play a game of COUNT THE WONDERS!!!!! :lol:

Spoiler :
    And the awnser iiiiiss...
    NINE world wonders!!!
    • Stonehenge
    • Chitzen Itza
    • Hagia Sophia
    • The Great Library
    • The Sistine Chapel
    • The Notre Dame
    • The Oracle
    • The Colossus
    • And, if I'm not mistaken, the Parthenon

Taking in consideration both the number of world wonders, and their nature, it's easy to see how Lisbon has so much culture! :p

7. Tchuli

Tchuli Chieftain

With the system of Civ Happiness and not City Happiness I wonder how this city flipping will happen... What they mean when they say "When a city gets unhappy"?

And will they be able to correct the problem with AI happiness? In the Deity game I'm playing now the AI with less happines has something like 20+ and the one with more has 50+... How are we supposed to make them unhappy with those kinds of numbers?

8. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

You could even just look at the culture per turn its getting compared to the turn counter. 220/ turn by turn 233? That aint half bad.

Also France is now incredibly tourism focussed rather than culture if we are to believe what we are told. So its borders would not grow very fast.

I'd also expect to see some portuguese châteaus if tiles were flipping, but alas no.

This doesn't rule it out, we just have nothing but likely uninformed gibberish from journalists to go on so far and a shady at best statement from shirk.

9. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Chieftain

10. RX2000

RX2000 Chieftain

Yea seems to be confirmed. Also check out this interview:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/civilizationvbravenewworld/interviews.html

Right above the 2nd picture Dennis Shirk says "If I choose say, Order, and you’re Freedom, and I’m generating all this Tourism, my influence is going to start pressing on your empire and your people are going to start getting unhappy. If you let it go on too long, you basically have to either declare war on me or switch to my ideology. Your cities might start flipping to my civilization if they riot too much."

11. Aldhissla

Aldhissla Chieftain

Might they just refer to ideology and not allegiance?

12. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

Seems like it's more of a "If you don't change Ideology, and If you don't go to war with the guy, it could happen".

13. TheMarshmallowBear

There is a counter-act to it, and tahts to somehow built up your culture so it fends off their iedology.

14. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

Well if you have to build culture, you aren't building other stuff that could push you towards another victory, so I guess that's mostly the point. I still am paranoid as all hell to how this culture victory will turn out.

15. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Think of it this way: You have to build culture even if you are going science/domination so that your cities don't get flipped just like a culture player has to build science so s/he doesn't get overrun by superior military units.

16. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

That's fine, just there's a fine balance with where the victory should stand. Currently the Culture victory is too slow and you have to base yourself out of too few cities and it becomes very predictable and easy to tell when you should strike them out if it becomes a problem.

My concern is if it's too slow, no one ever really goes for it except when they snowballed the start of the game and can cherry pick the win condition... Too fast/easy and you start being frustrated by the guy who sits in a corner and wins all the sudden... Much like how the Diplo victory can sometimes turn out.

17. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I definitely see your concern. The devs have stated that they want the culture victory to be something that you can move towards later in the game when conditions aren't favorable for what you were doing earlier (IE you find Hiawatha on the other continent with a massive military industrial complex) but that should be balanced by how, unlike the current diplo victory, the new culture victory will require you to actively attack the other civs via tourism. If things work the way I think they will then you will certainly know that someone is going for a culture win long before your loss becomes inevitable.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

But the thing, IF there is somebody who's Tourism becomes to great you'll know, so you'll be able to spot and potentially eliminate your opponent.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Indeed. You should be able to spot them on your Tourism comparison tool long before things get out of hand. It's also possible that you will see notifications when your relative tourism level goes up or down.

"Your Tourism with the Inca has increased to Popular"

"Your Tourism with Persia has decreased to Exotic"

20. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

It's just a little unclear, last I read was you needed to spread to 50% or something... I've been in winning positions before and didn't "own" half the map. Still skeptical. Oh and if it's based on City pop, that can be even more hilarious with high difficulty AIs where I've sometimes owned half the map but had like 30% of the population.