'Cultural' City Flipping

Indeed. You should be able to spot them on your Tourism comparison tool long before things get out of hand. It's also possible that you will see notifications when your relative tourism level goes up or down.

"Your Tourism with the Inca has increased to Popular"

"Your Tourism with Persia has decreased to Exotic"

And unless you're Marie Antoinette you'll probably notice once people start rioting in the streets about how unhappy they are with your ideology.

I think the big question is what happens if this person you have so much influence with is far away from you? Previously, flipping only happened to neighbors. Do we now have potential to flip cities across the ocean?

I think there is going to be more to this mechanic than there currently appears.

My hope would be that any cities a certain distance from you revolt, and become a new civ, but they would have mentioned that by now if that was the case.

I imagine that flipping only happens to your neighboring civs when they have both a weak culture and a different Ideology, and it probably occurs in adjacent cities first, starting with the ones that have the least cultural output. I don't think it will happen if you don't share borders.

My hope would be that any cities a certain distance from you revolt, and become a new civ, but they would have mentioned that by now if that was the case.

Now that you mention it, they could become a city-state with you automatically allied (as if you had liberated them). Now that would be interesting.

Just had an achipelago game as polynesia where Attila flipped 2 cities to me, which rather confused me as in pangea or earth games I've had more tourism, culture and borders that actually connect, Attila was halfway across the map on huge, I had a small colony a bit closer to him, but there was an entire civ between us and the city was relatively new and low and culture and probably without any tourism, also interesting is that Attila didn't even pick an ideology yet, using polynesia's early sea faring shtick I managed to get some very strong production cities going and snipe most wonders after classical, but cities flipping halfway across the globe while neighbours are completely fine?
I get the impression distance is irrelevant and the only factor is the "defending" civ, as Attila's AI probably forgoes any culture for military, he probably had the lowest culture and tourism in that game (probably followed by Bismarck, but he was my best bud and adopted freedom relatively quickly after me, and despite being much closer nothing ever flipped.
Just realized I'd city state bribed freedom to be the world ideology, perhaps this is what triggered it while he lacked any ideology of his own?

Top Bottom