Cultural Citystyles for BtS, patch 3.19

Alright, made a new try.... how about this?

Didn't really got how you wanted the fences to be but i tried to keep them as separate meshes so you can hopefully do whatever you want with them..I also remade the texture a bit for some variation and added some new nitrishapes...

That's perfect, Freya. Thank you so much. :clap:

GeoModder, on Line 6712 in your CityLSystem you have this:

Code:
<Attribute Class="ArtStyle">[I][B]ERA_ALL[/B][/I],!ARTSTYLE_ARABIA,!ARTSTYLE_ASIA,.......

Shouldnt that ERA_ALL be ARTSTYLE_ALL instead?

Yes it should. Can you tell me in which LSYSTEM entry it was? I use notepad to work with xml files, and that editor doesn't have a line counter.
I probably corrected it already in my version, because I discovered such a line last week.

lol. notepad has a line counter. first: View (left to "?") -> status line (dunno the exact English words)

and then: Edit -> Go to... (line)

it's line 6712...:

PHP:
	    <ArtRef Name="building:LSYSTEM_COLOSSEUM">
			<Attribute Class="Era">ERA_ANCIENT,ERA_CLASSICAL,ERA_MEDIEVAL,ERA_RENAISSANCE,ERA_INDUSTRIAL</Attribute>
			<Attribute Class="Scalar">szNIF:Art/Structures/Buildings/colosseum/Crescent_Colosseum/MardukZiggurat.nif</Attribute>
			<Attribute Class="ArtStyle">ARTSTYLE_CRESCENT</Attribute>
			<Scale>1.25</Scale>
		</ArtRef><ArtRef Name="building:LSYSTEM_COLOSSEUM">
			<Attribute Class="Scalar">szNIF:Art/Structures/Buildings/Colosseum/Colosseum.nif</Attribute>
			<Attribute Class="Era">ERA_ANCIENT,ERA_CLASSICAL,ERA_MEDIEVAL,ERA_RENAISSANCE,ERA_INDUSTRIAL</Attribute>
-->		 <Attribute Class="ArtStyle">ERA_ALL,!ARTSTYLE_ARABIA,!ARTSTYLE_ASIA,!ARTSTYLE_JAPAN,!ARTSTYLE_CRESCENT,!ARTSTYLE_NATIVE_AMERICA</Attribute>
			<Scale>2.0</Scale>
		</ArtRef>
		<ArtRef Name="building:LSYSTEM_CASTLE">
			<Attribute Class="Era">ERA_ALL</Attribute>
			<Attribute Class="ArtStyle">ARTSTYLE_ALL,!ARTSTYLE_ASIA,!ARTSTYLE_JAPAN,!ARTSTYLE_MESO_AMERICA,!ARTSTYLE_SOUTH_EAST_ASIA</Attribute>
		</ArtRef>

My error, appearantly I use Wordpad. ;)
...seriously? Do you hate useful software or something? :lol:

Seriously, at least grab Notepad++ - if simply for one reason: If you close it, it automatically opens the last files again - at the same position! That's great if you need to work on it in more than one session. Then you can save the file, close notepad++, then open it up again and continue working from the same spot.

Cheers, LT.

ERA_ALL is used a lot in Planetfall.

A wild guess: perhaps ERA_ALL is used on a line where artstyles should be put? There is no ERA_ALL artstyle, so using it there would give this error.

Edit: Err woops, replied before I had noticed there was a third page...

A wild guess: perhaps ERA_ALL is used on a line where artstyles should be put? There is no ERA_ALL artstyle, so using it there would give this error.

Yeah that was totally the problem. My previous assumption of ERA_ALL being messed up war wrong. DIdnt realize it because I replaced them at the same time after getting the asset error (which wasnt very clear as to what was wrong with ERA_ALL). Since then have just replace the one ERA_ALL with ARTSTYLE_ALL and all is well in the world.

Yeah that was totally the problem. My previous assumption of ERA_ALL being messed up war wrong. DIdnt realize it because I replaced them at the same time after getting the asset error (which wasnt very clear as to what was wrong with ERA_ALL). Since then have just replace the one ERA_ALL with ARTSTYLE_ALL and all is well in the world.

Weird that you had the error while nobody else had it. Perhaps you were the first to start a game with the civs covered in that faulty line?

...seriously? Do you hate useful software or something? :lol:

You should congratulate me on how far I came without a useful tool! [pissed] ;)

You should congratulate me on how far I came without a useful tool! [pissed] ;)
Oh, I do, because I love your cultural citystyles! I admit recommending useful software to you is purely selfish: It makes you more efficient => you do more stuff for the citystyles and the Planetfall mod! ;)

Cheers, LT.

@GeoModder or anyone else who is interested: Here is an optimized (lower poly, recompressed and/or resized textures) version of your Cultural Diversity art. All nifs and folders are the same except for one thing (african hermitage).

Structure Art

Couple of questions:

*In the CityLSystem you still reference the African Hermitage, which points to african_hermitage/nubian_pyramid.nif, which is not there. You do have a xAfrican_hermitage with no nif in it. So I added the old Nubian Pyramid from ethnic citystyles.

*Will anglo_american artstyle be in a future version? I see they are mentioned somewhat in the CityLsystem.

Thanks for your work, achilles. It's appreciated. :hatsoff:

As on your questions:
I removed the African Hermitage graphic (Nubian Pyramids) because it is used in the JARM mod, which at some point I will link again to Cultural Citystyles.
The anglo_american artstyle is indeed in the works, but not linked to its civs yet because it is far from done. Basically, some more colonization citysets will be linked to that one.

Thanks for your work, achilles. It's appreciated. :hatsoff:

I hope that in the future there will be two versions of Cultural Citystyles. Normal edition (as no need for people with good computers to deal with worse graphics, and I would like to also have acces to original/full detail models) and budget edition (for us with crappy computers)
As on your questions:
I removed the African Hermitage graphic (Nubian Pyramids) because it is used in the JARM mod, which at some point I will link again to Cultural Citystyles.

I see that you cut it in the art folder, but it is still referenced in your XML. So when a African civ builds a hermitage they get an invisible building. Thats why I added it and took the "X" off the folder name, in that download.

The Nubian Pyramid entry in xml could be of my computer breakdown last May. I had to use a restore point once my computer was back to work.

I see that you also reduced polycount on alot of meshes. For those with better graphics cards, would you recommend using the less-poly citysets/facility nifs with their full-size texture files?

I must say, it's quite a feat, cutting the size almost in half. :eek:

I see that you also reduced polycount on alot of meshes. For those with better graphics cards, would you recommend using the less-poly citysets/facility nifs with their full-size texture files?

Yeah thats probably a good idea. Lower polies dont really affect the looks of a model much (considering the method I use), but less detailed textures do look worse. Usually I try to no resize textures, unless they are way to big for the amount of detail that is on it, or unless the difference is imperceptable. But with city textures, I believe that the game must render/call on that 512 texture for every building. So thats why I resized those. I could be wrong but that seems like how it works. But definitely I would want higher res textures myself. No need in making people who have good computers suffer.
I must say, it's quite a feat, cutting the size almost in half. :eek:

Really, almost half? Well it wasnt too hard for 99% of the models. Just triangulate any nitristrips. Most of that must be from resizing and re compressing textures, triangulating actually raises the file size by a few percent. Only one or two of them did I work on in 3dMAx. Theres still a few I would like to fix (like the asian hermitage at 5000 poly!). But my program is buggy and doesnt optimize properly on some models.

Also eagerly awaiting your AngloAmerican stuff!

I was just wondering what building you were using as the "Forbidden Palace" for the North American Native set. I probably should have checked but I think this Cahokia model would be a good idea. I apologize if this was already done.

Top Bottom