Cultural Citystyles for BtS, patch 3.19

Blender polycount reducer is very crude; the only acceptable way of reducing the polycount of this set would be removing the unnecessary detail by hand (which is daunting, but entirely possible).

Yes, the cityset is high poly. I have never experienced any problem with highpoly citysets though (I had ones bigger than this one) and i'm sitting on a laptop, so i didn't consider the polycount when making it unfortunately. I tried to reduce the size first by running the "reduce poly" script in blender, that seriously screwed things up and then by converting to nitrishapes (what is the difference between strips and shapes besides the polycount?) that made the filesize even bigger... :sad:e

So, I ended up with removing the decorative arches of the buildings roofs since i know they where high poly and that where the only way i could figure out to reduce the count. However i dont think it looks as good as the highpoly version and it definitely take away some of the "spanish" feeling. But if you are one of those who experience a lag it might be a good idea to go for the lower poly version..

I will give it a spin when I come home, I might find a way of reducing it relatively painlessly; also, I will search my A&A copy for some more Latin American buildings - I believe there were some, and you can then use them in the cityset too, I suppose, especially if they're comparatively low-poly.

I guess this is kind of hijacking Geos thread - well, I'll keep it short. I am wondering whether there is someone willing to make some hungarian citystyle or at least something generic eastern europe. For the ancient citystyle I am using Geos mongol cityset with slight changes (flag for example). That's quite okay, I think. Classical and medieval era cityset look less fitting. Renaissance is okay again, industrial and modern could be better again. I thought it might be okay to use the same citystyle for classical and medieval era. Haven't done a picture search yet, but thought about using the székelykapu (which could be made out of some chinese gates I think) as kind of 'returning element'. Industrial and modern could be the same citystyle again. Thinking about Budapest, I thought it might be a good idea to have something like Paris. For both cities houses are typical that have shops at the first and flats in the higher floors. Also, their look is similar. I guess this is why Budapest is sometimes called the Paris of the East. So, don't know if someone would be interested in something like that. It doesn't need to be ready immideately of course. I'd be happy if I'd have it in 3 months or so. So, sorry for misusing this thread, but it seems to me that few users watch the graphics modification request thread (see my request for kopja fa there, too, please). Also, Geo also might be interested in this cityset - don't know - so I thought it might be okay if I post a single time here. I suggest you answer me (for the case you are interested) here. BTW: I think avain would also be interested in this, because of Varietas Delectat. So, this would be needed by several people.

I guess this is kind of hijacking Geos thread - well, I'll keep it short. I am wondering whether there is someone willing to make some hungarian citystyle or at least something generic eastern europe. For the ancient citystyle I am using Geos mongol cityset with slight changes (flag for example). That's quite okay, I think. Classical and medieval era cityset look less fitting. Renaissance is okay again, industrial and modern could be better again. I thought it might be okay to use the same citystyle for classical and medieval era. Haven't done a picture search yet, but thought about using the székelykapu (which could be made out of some chinese gates I think) as kind of 'returning element'. Industrial and modern could be the same citystyle again. Thinking about Budapest, I thought it might be a good idea to have something like Paris. For both cities houses are typical that have shops at the first and flats in the higher floors. Also, their look is similar. I guess this is why Budapest is sometimes called the Paris of the East. So, don't know if someone would be interested in something like that. It doesn't need to be ready immideately of course. I'd be happy if I'd have it in 3 months or so. So, sorry for misusing this thread, but it seems to me that few users watch the graphics modification request thread (see my request for kopja fa there, too, please). Also, Geo also might be interested in this cityset - don't know - so I thought it might be okay if I post a single time here. I suggest you answer me (for the case you are interested) here. BTW: I think avain would also be interested in this, because of Varietas Delectat. So, this would be needed by several people.

Seconded.

Mmm, thus this is what happens when I turn my head for a few days? ;)

Please go on, people. Freya's colonial set looks promising for use in the Iberian artstyle.
Because of the meso modern cityset, I'll try to keep civs a bit closer to their old styles in future releases, thus this colonial set won't be used for the Inca's, Freya. (at least not in CC).

I will give it a spin when I come home, I might find a way of reducing it relatively painlessly; also, I will search my A&A copy for some more Latin American buildings - I believe there were some, and you can then use them in the cityset too, I suppose, especially if they're comparatively low-poly.
That would be great!

Geomodder: Because of the meso modern cityset, I'll try to keep civs a bit closer to their old styles in future releases, thus this colonial set won't be used for the Inca's, Freya. (at least not in CC).

alrighty, I can see why.. :)

Yes, the cityset is high poly. I have never experienced any problem with highpoly citysets though (I had ones bigger than this one) and i'm sitting on a laptop, so i didn't consider the polycount when making it unfortunately. I tried to reduce the size first by running the "reduce poly" script in blender, that seriously screwed things up and then by converting to nitrishapes (what is the difference between strips and shapes besides the polycount?) that made the filesize even bigger... :sad:e

So, I ended up with removing the decorative arches of the buildings roofs since i know they where high poly and that where the only way i could figure out to reduce the count. However i dont think it looks as good as the highpoly version and it definitely take away some of the "spanish" feeling. But if you are one of those who experience a lag it might be a good idea to go for the lower poly version..

It looks like there are some missing rooftops and walls on a few of the buildings.

tyvm, butcher (aka Walter Hawkwood and aligned). ;)
It's under 5000 polies, so I don't think anyone can complain. Especially as it is used for a "mere" 2 civs in CC.

All right, I'm asking an opinion here because I've never been to the Iberian peninsula, so have no real idea from what era those buildings are appropriate. Is the cityset appropriate from the Medieval, Renaissance or Industrial era onwards? I hope the Renaissance, since it would neatly blend onwards after an Iberian medieval cityset...

It looks like there are some missing rooftops and walls on a few of the buildings.

I think those are the common indoors "plaza's" mediterranean homes sometimes have.

Capo is right there are some roofs missing, but it looks quite cool as plazas too..
Great work, Walter!
@WalterH, You mentioned that you had some more building from games you ripped, Latin-americans and others that you were talking about in an earlier post, will you release them here in a near future?

I do believe Renaissance, but more for Latin America than for Spain itself. So I'd still use it for Aztecs and Incas, and I am not sure if I'd use it for Spain.

I could post that stuff, but it's nothing fancy. There are more interesting buildings from other regions, actually.

I do believe Renaissance, but more for Latin America than for Spain itself. So I'd still use it for Aztecs and Incas, and I am not sure if I'd use it for Spain.

I could post that stuff, but it's nothing fancy. There are more interesting buildings from other regions, actually.

please post! Since your buildings are my best texture source i would love to have any building i could lay my hands on, latin american or not! ;)

I'd say renaissance and I'd argue for the iberian set (or a separate latin america) but not mesoamerican. check out pictures of seville and cordoba. totally fit this set.

please post! Since your buildings are my best texture source i would love to have any building i could lay my hands on, latin american or not! ;)

And since your city sets are the best application for my converted textures I can think of, how can I refuse... :D

Here is some stuff that I am hoping will inspire you to make new city sets. These are sets of models and textures from:

- Eastern European cities
- North African cities
- South American cities
- South Asian villages

I didn't modify models, so they aren't usable in Civ out-of-the-box; I guess you can handle the ones you need yourself all right. ;)

http://rapidshare.com/files/272232565/AACitysets.rar.html

I don't know that these buildings should really be used as Iberian sets, I have been to Spain quite a few times and while there are certainly some buildings like this I think the Mediterranean set is a bit more appropriate although it doesn't matter to me, I intend on using them for Latin American countries for my mod (Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile etc.).

And as far as the missing walls go, I am not talking about plazas. Check the image I posted.

EDIT: WH's buildings look friggin awesome! I hope you can make a Polynesian set out of the South Pacific buildings!

... I think the Mediterranean set is a bit more appropriate...

That's why I like to mix citysets at times. ;)

And as far as the missing walls go, I am not talking about plazas. Check the image I posted.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Weird though. While I see the missing wall on the backside in nifskope and SceneViewer, the roof and the front wall isn't missing...
I don't think the wall will be much of a problem. Mosttimes the ground floor is obscured by neighbouring buildings, and the angle at which the hole is visible is rarely used.

Thanks alot, Walter...these looks great, however the base textures for the south americans buildings are missing?

@The Capo: I see what you mean with the missing wall on one of the buildings and i fixed it. Weird though with the missing roof, the rightmost in your picture, i checked in blender and its not missing as far as i can see?

And yeah, the south pacific houses looks great, i´ll definitely try to make a cityset out of it...

@The Capo: I see what you mean with the missing wall on one of the buildings and i fixed it. Weird though with the missing roof, the rightmost in your picture, i checked in blender and its not missing as far as i can see?

Check 1x2x2_04 too. I believe one of its walls is facing inwards, not outwards. Same is true for BUILDING.00. The walls are there, but they can't be seen, since they're "inside out".

Also, check the back of the tower of "tube".

Top Bottom