Cultural Diffusion

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
Culture spread with mixed tiles, like in Civ4. You can still buy tiles, but they can flip if another Civilization has more culture than you on it. Cities won't flip from culture, that will be added in the Revolutions component...

Culture spread automatically from cities in all directions, is slowed by crossing rivers or mountain and accelerate following river or road. Once a civ reach a threshold value on a tile, it will flip to that civ, if it's the one with the higher percentage of culture.

This is a test version, suggestion and comments are welcome :D

screenshot (note the river/frontier):
Spoiler :

Installation

- download the civ5mod file to your mod folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS).
- launch civ5, go to the mod browser and click "install mod"
- find the "Cultural Diffusion" line and activate the mod.
- from the mod section, go to single player and set up a game

How to test different values

Spoiler :
The default config allow the civ4 style culture spreading and tile flipping (limited by the beta version limited features of the mod, of course)

To change that to a "display value only" version, just edit the file CultureDefines.lua in your "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Cultural Diffusion (v 3)\Lua" folder with any text editor (notepad, ...) and replace the following line :

Code:
ALLOW_CIV4_SPREADING = true
to
Code:
ALLOW_CIV4_SPREADING = false

(not FALSE, False or 0, but exactly : false)

The CultureDefines.lua contain also the others values used in the calculation for spreading.

You can tweak them, and feel free to ask what there used for if there not self explicit enough ;)

Recommended mods

- Great Works by Moriboe (Change the culture bomb)

Credit & thanx

Whys (SaveUtils) Onni (ContextPtr tutorial) and a lots of people here ;)

To do

- Reflect Great Artist culture bombing on culture map
- Citadels should not flip from culture

Link is broken, it links to editing your download.

I would be careful with removing dead civs, they can be resurrected after all.

Link is broken, it links to editing your download.

I would be careful with removing dead civs, they can be resurrected after all.

oups, thanks, fixed. :goodjob:

and yes, I will not remove the dead civs from the culture map, I will just make sure that when updating the tiles ownership, a dead civ won't own it, even if it's the one with the most culture on it.

For those who want to beta test it, and think that the diffusion is maybe too fast, you can play on values in the CultureDefines.lua from the "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Cultural Diffusion (v 1)\Lua" folder.

CULTURE_CITY_FACTOR and CULTURE_DIFFUSION can be lowered a bit for example.

Really liking this mod so far, but why did you change the culture tile expansion modifiers so drastically? (From 15 to 75:c5culture: for the first tile, and +10->+25 for each additional.)

Really liking this mod so far, but why did you change the culture tile expansion modifiers so drastically? (From 15 to 75:c5culture: for the first tile, and +10->+25 for each additional.)

I wanted to be able to see the new culture map growth without much interference of the vanilla system.

And I've put all the defines I've found for the old diffusion in Defines.xml to allow balancing directly the 2 systems.

that's something to test.

Ok, I get it now - when you say "culture spreads like in civ4" it wasn't clear that you meant it spreads in concentric circles! Thus the slower growth. Perhaps that should be mentioned in the first post so as to prevent some people (like me) from misunderstanding.;)

EDIT: Culture spread seems too fast with the current values. I opened my build order with a monument and I had almost every tile in the city's 3-tile radius by turn 35(!).

yep, posted a v2 with slower spreading, see first post.

edit : and I tried to make a better description.

I actually prefer the spread-mechanism from civ 5 (one tile at a time), but tiles changing ownership is an interesting thing.

I actually prefer the spread-mechanism from civ 5 (one tile at a time), but tiles changing ownership is an interesting thing.

For my mod, I plan to use this as an "underlayer" of culture.

I'll use the vanilla civ5 culture as a "territory claiming", and this system in background to check for possible revolt/revolution.

But I wanted to test it alone, and as it could be made as a component, here it is :D

Hmm, sounds interesting, if I am understanding this right. Would this eventually allow taking over CS's with culture, instead of having to conquer them? (or should that just be a mod in and of itself)

Any incompatibilities?

yep, posted a v2 with slower spreading, see first post.

Not by much I'm afraid.:( I agree with Alpaca and Doktorstick - the typical culture spread in civ5 is actually really well balanced.

I'll use the vanilla civ5 culture as a "territory claiming", and this system in background ...

Perhaps that should be implemented here.

Love the idea of tile flipping though a lot.

I agree with those above that it should be tested with the Civ V way of tile acquisition. I like that a lot better then the civ IV mechanic. Not sure why it would be easier to test it using a different culture spreading mechanism then both you future intentions and vanilla....

Love the idea of tile flipping though a lot.

I agree with those above that it should be tested with the Civ V way of tile acquisition. I like that a lot better then the civ IV mechanic. Not sure why it would be easier to test it using a different culture spreading mechanism then both you future intentions and vanilla....

While tweaking the values, it's more "visual" to directly see on the screen the culture spreading than checking plot by plot who has the tile most culture... and I confess that I thought more people where nostalgic of Civ4 quicker/larger culture spreading :D

I also want to test it on huge/giant earth with TSL, to see if it help filling the region no one will want to sent a settler in.

While tweaking the values, it's more "visual" to directly see on the screen the culture spreading than checking plot by plot who has the tile most culture... and I confess that I thought more people where nostalgic of Civ4 quicker/larger culture spreading :D

I also want to test it on huge/giant earth with TSL, to see if it help filling the region no one will want to sent a settler in.

lol, fair enough. Would it be possible to release a version without the civ IV tile spread and keep the other for testing and tweaking values etc? That way those that want to help test your mod can easier but for those that want to try it out with the vanilla culture spread can without waiting for a final final release type of thing

I also have no idea how much time and work something like that would take or if its even possible so excuse my ignorance in matters of modding :p I appreciate the work you've been doing on the mod so far and think it has huge potential!

lol, fair enough. Would it be possible to release a version without the civ IV tile spread and keep the other for testing and tweaking values etc?
that's exactly what I was thinking while writing my previous post :D

I'm testing it in a quick game then I'll release it ;)

Top Bottom