Cultural Diplomacy: Which luxuries get the extra happiness?

Barking Iguana

Chieftain
1) If you have a luxury yourself and you're also getting it from a CS, you get the +50% happiness?
2) If not, what happens if you trade away all your own copies, so all you have left is what you're getting from the CS?

1) If you have a luxury yourself and you're also getting it from a CS, you get the +50% happiness?
No. Only unique luxuries matter.
2) If not, what happens if you trade away all your own copies, so all you have left is what you're getting from the CS?
You get +4 global happiness for the luxury, as long as you keep the allied status.

No. Only unique luxuries matter.

You get +4 global happiness for the luxury, as long as you keep the allied status.
I know without the Cultural Diplomacy ideology tenet you get +4 per unique. The tenet gives you +50% on that 4, making it 6. But only applies to luxuries coming from CS's.

My question is what counts as a luxury you're getting from a CS. If you have it on your own and the CS is also granting it to you, do you get the bonus? If you don't, can you get the bonus by trading away the one you have on your own (which is the only ones that are tradable, so if you trade all you can, that's what's left)?

Sorry, it's a Social Policy, not an Ideology Tenet. It's in Patronage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know without the Cultural Diplomacy ideology tenet you get +4 per unique. The tenet gives you +50% on that 4, making it 6. But only applies to luxuries coming from CS's.

My question is what counts as a luxury you're getting from a CS. If you have it on your own and the CS is also granting it to you, do you get the bonus? If you don't, can you get the bonus by trading away the one you have on your own (which is the only ones that are tradable, so if you trade all you can, that's what's left)?

Sorry, it's a Social Policy, not an Ideology Tenet. It's in Patronage.

Woops, did not realize it was a specific question about a policy, sorry. I haven't used Patronage in ages, forgot quite a lot, it seems.
Anyway, judging by what's said here http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Cultural_Diplomacy_(Civ5) under 'Strategy', the answer to the first question would still be 'no', and to the second - you should get the bonus, probably. If you have a suitable situation in your game, experiment a little and see if it really is so.

It's not easy to tell without some work. You don't see the bonus isolated anywhere. There's a total "miscellaneous" happiness from luxuries. With attention to detail, it would be possible to test. But I didn't take the time in this game.

My question is what counts as a luxury you're getting from a CS. If you have it on your own and the CS is also granting it to you, do you get the bonus?

Yes. That means, you can get 2 happiness by allying a city state that owns a resource you already have (and is not granted by another city state yet)

Top Bottom