1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cultural Diversity

Cultural Diversity

1. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Here, you will find links to keep up-to-date with Cultral Diversity.
    These can only be downloaded directly through my Google Drive and MediaFire.

For detailed information, see the JFDModding Wiki.

Information

Cultural Diversity adds depth to each Civilization by assigning them to one of 30 Cultures (with 10 additional subcultures). Each Culture and subculture has a variety of unique music, era transition screens, embarkation graphics, unit dialogue, and various Culturally-themed supports for the Rise to Power mod.
    A list of included Cultures and Subcultures are shown below.

Cultures
    Direct Installation
    • Download from Google Drive and MediaFire.
    • Unzip the contents of this into My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS
    • Enable in Mods and click Next.
    For more detailed instructions, see Discord.

Troubleshooting

If you encounter issues, it is important that you communicate this clearly so that someone can help you. You will need the following things:
    1. Mod Version.
    2. Mod List (other mods you have active).
    3. Database and/or Lua log files. See here for instructions.

User Settings

Some features can be disabled using the included JFD_CulDivUserSettings.sql file. This is located at Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFD's Cultural Diversity (Core)

Please note, if you do not intend to use the Soundtrack, you will need to disable the 'JFD_CULDIV_SOUNDTRACK_ADDON' user setting.

Credits
    • COF: Research (various)
    • Janboruta: Research (various), Artwork (African/Arabic/Bharata/Oceanic/Tribal-American/Turkic splash borders, Central/Eastern/Western Icons).
    • Leugi: Graphics (African/Arabic/Bharata/Turkic Embarkation), Research (High-American/Latin Colonial/Tribal-American/Andean splashes, Latin Colonial music), Artwork (High-American splash border)
    • Kesler: Research (various Music)
    • Klisz: Research (Katuje)
    • Reedstilt: Research (Oceanic/Tribal-American splashes)
    • Regalman: Research (Semitic splashes)
    • sss64sss: Research (various Music and splash screens)
    • SnowyNix: Research (Polar music)
    • Sun Ce of Wu the Musician: Research (various Music)
    • Sword of Geddon: Research (Oceanic/African music)
    • TheLohoped: Research (Polar splashes)
    • Tomatekh: Artwork (various Culture Group Alphas)
    • TPangolin: Research (various splashes, various music)
    • Hangman: Graphics (High-American Embarkation)
    • Wolfdog: Graphics (Mandala/Mesopotamic/Oriental Embarkation)
    Additional Credits

Spoiler :

Unit Dialogue:
    Except for those listed below, all unit dialogue taken from Civ IV.
    Italian - Napoleonic Era Team
    Hunnic - cool3a2
    Polish- Napoleonic Era Team
    Siamese - Sukritact
    Swedish - Napoleonic Era Team

Classical:
    Andreas Waldetoft - Music (EU: Rome OST) - Various
    Stephen Rippy, Kevin McMullan - Music (AoM) - Various
    Tyler Bates - Music (Rise of the Argonauts) - Various

Mandala:
    TheOngkhaphayop - Various tracks taken from their channel
    eklavvya - Art
    Thanakorn Chaijinda - Art
    ohnios - Art
    tonyhurst - Art

Northern:
    Adrian von Ziegler - Music
    Antti Martikainen - Music
    BrunuhVille - Music
    The Royal Scots Dragoons - Music - Various

Oriental:
    adamkuczek - Art
    flaviobolla - Art
    najtkriss - Art
    TaiGyoza - Art
    Terserone - Art

Semitic:
    jcbarquet - Art

Please see the included Credits.txt file for a full list of credits for music and art used. The ones listed are those used on multiple occassions.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    SLGray and ofmiciv5 like this.
  2. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the full thing. I'd love to help in any way I can, but I doubt I'll be of much use.

3. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

I know this kind of comment isn't very constructive, but it's all I get right now: AWESOME!

4. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Another step towards a Civ 5 version of RFC. Bravo! I will be monitoring this thread. :scan:

I might help with art later on, but we'll see how my time allows.

5. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

OK, I could definitely get behind this.

6. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Great to hear that this is something that will interest people. But any thoughts on the specific attributes of the Steppe civs? I was thinking of a penalty to Golden Age point generation; that you wouldn't generate Golden Age points whilst at peace, but an extra 20% per civ that you're at war with whilst at war. Seems a little arbitrary thought.

7. COF

COF Chieftain

Sounds really interesting, but I'd add Hiram's Uyghur Khanate Civ to the list too.

8. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

9. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

You sir are the greatest human in the history

Can I help in this mod ideas/suggestions? I thought about something like that many times.

10. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

11. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

Personally, I think Native civs (Iroquois, Shoshone, Aztecs, Inca, MAYBE Maya) should have a food/faith/culture boost, trading it in for a science drop. That's really all I have. I did have an idea for Oriental Civs, but I realised it was pretty much a cross between Morocco and Portugal, so...

12. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

I just thought of something I could do if you wish - come up with fitting names for the traits and write Civlopedia entries for you.

13. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Civilopedia entries won't be necessary, I don't think, as there's nothing really to link them to specifically. Fitting names would be nice, though. At the moment I display their cultural group in the Civ Selection Menu, next to each civ's unique trait, but I just have "Steppe" or "American", etc., which is a bit bland. So that'd be great, thanks.

For Native American civs, I was going to make them research all Classical, Medieval and Renaissance technologies twice as slowly, but they get combat bonuses against more advanced civilizations (and earn science from killing more technologically advanced units, like in the Scramble for Africa scenario with the Zulu). I was also going to make them unable to possess a Founder belief for their Religion, instead having a second pantheon belief - I just don't know yet if I could get this working. For Oriental Civs (excluding Japan) I thought I'd do something with their trade routes, to give incentive for other civs to trade with them (and as an Oriental civ you'll get more gold from being traded to). But you're right - there is a risk of encroaching upon the effects of already existing UAs that I must be weary of.

14. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Firstly, we should decide about how we should exactly divide civilisations into cultural groups.

First classification idea:
    NATIVE AMERICANS (I'm not really sure if they should be divide on South and North America) also probably Inuits should be here. I have absolutely no idea what about Aborigins/Polynesia :D
    COLONIAL STATES (America, Brasil, Canada, Australia, Leugi's Latin America civs and so on)
    SUBSAHARAN AFRICA
    EUROPE (as one group?...)
    MEDITERRANEAN/ANCIENT
    ISLAM (well, personally I see huge difference between Sumer/Egypt/Greece and Arabia/Morocco :p - and also between Rome/Greece/Celts and Europe, because all other civs are 'modern nations' or 'medieval states')
    INDIA (India :p Harappa here or to ANCIENT, Leugi's team is working on 4 Indian civs)
    INDOCHINA (Burma, Siam, Vietnam? Champa, Khmer, Indonesia, eventually it could be merged into the INDIA)
    ORIENT (China, Korea, Japan, Ryukyu, Qin, Tibet?)
    STEPPE HORDES

I am going to think hard on advantages and disadvantages, but firstly, one main question: do you prefer to create little nice bonuses :) or powerful gameplay changing 'cultural traits'? :D

Also, proposition Fancy Names for cultural groups:
    America*, Colony, Ebony**, Crescent, the Cradle***, the Horde, Orient, Occident****, Bharata*****

*- do I have to mention: native?
    ** - Africa, though I don't know if it sounds racist :f
    *** - Sumer, Babylon and so on
    **** - as opposed to Orient, IMHO that sounds cool :d
    ***** - India

Eventually, Indochina may be culturally divided between 'Indian group' and 'Chinese group':
    Burma, Siam, Khmer, Indonesia -> Indian group
    Vietnam, Champa -> Chinese group

to be honest, I am sometimes dreaming about Ultimate Modder Team which would merge all those mods into something like Rhye's Rise and Fall :D

15. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

I'd split Europe (There's possibly a good enough case to have Slavic, Romance and Germanic), and probably a Native Americans split as well. I just don't know what to call them, or how to split them in the first place.

16. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Well, well. You have been thinking about this kind of thing :)

I plan on dividing groups thusly, but it is subject to change:

Steppe - the Huns, the Mongols, etc.
    American - Aztecs, Inca, Shoshone, Maya, Iroquois, etc. (I was originally going to split them, but feel that they would mostly share the same overall focus)
    Colonial - America, Brazil, Australia, Canada, etc.
    Germanic - Celts, Goths, Franks, Denmark, Norway, etc.
    Slavic - Poland, Russia, Hungary, Kievan Rus', etc.
    Islamic/Arabic - Ottomans, Arabia, Morocco, etc.
    Graeco-Roman - Rome, Greece, Byzantium, etc.
    Mesopotamic - Persia, Babylon, Assyria, Egypt, Carthage, etc.
    Oriental - China, Indonesia, Siam, etc.
    Sub-saharan - Ethiopia, Songhai, Zulu, Mali, Benin, etc.
    Japanese - Japan
    Indian - India (in anticipation of the More Civs split)
    Polynesian - Polynesia (in anticipation of the More Civs split, too)
    Papal - Papal States
    Holy Roman - Holy Roman Empire

And the rest of Europe would either be lumped together, or further split into Latin (Portugal, Spain, Venice, etc.) and the rest. Or something like that. It really depends upon the ideas that I settle on for them - as I said, I was originally going to split Native Americans up, but found that I was just coming up with similar traits for them to share. Similarly, I did think of splitting the Orient between South-East Asian and such, but haven't determined if that's mechanically necessary yet.

The intention is that they each possess very distinct playstyles.

17. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Given Leugi's civs, there might be too many colonial civs to lump into one. I'd suggest having South America/Everything else, which could be different enough.

18. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

That's true. Depending upon what I would come up with, Colonial nations of South America could be put into the "Latin" group with Portugal and Spain. Though they might lose their colonial focus - again, it depends on what I come up with.

19. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I would split the Native Americans into High American (Aztec, Maya, Inca et consortes, the city-dwellers) and Tribal American (the rest). I like the Europe split here, and the rest looks good as well.

20. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Latin would be the perfect name for both groups, but I still think they're different enough to separate. Perhaps Latin for South America (or even Latin American), then "Christendom" or something for the Romance civs? The advantage of Christendom is this covers the HRE, the Papal States and Byzantium as well.