1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Cultural Domination

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Munterpipe, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

I'll put you in after Foolonthehill. That makes you on deck, actually, since we're expecting a Fool's report anytime soon.

2. FoolontheHill

FoolontheHill Head Stooge

Sorry for the abbreviated report and no screenies. Just got back in town and had to play quickly.

Turn 1 (385BC) - Against my better judgement I set Oracle to wait until COL finishes, which will be about 14 turns since we are out of cash and I have to drop the slider to 50%. I know that this is Noble, but 200BC-1AD is late for the Oracle. :eek:

Turn 2 (370BC) - Fast worker completes in Bombay, start settler.

Turn 3 (355BC) - Liz asks for open borders, I decline.

Turn 4 & 5 - :coffee:

Turn 6 (310BC) - Toku completes the Pyramids :eek:. I'm sweating the Oracle now.

Turn 7 (295BC) - Got 102 from what we had put into the Pyramids. Lets us run 100% research, COL in 5.

Turn 8 & 9 - :sleep:

Turn 10 (250BC) - Settler finishes in Delhi. Start another. Head the new settler down toward the American lands..

COL should complete in about 2 turns with the Oracle right after it. I didn't start the Parthenon but we may want to consider it if we can get marble hooked up.

Save is attached.

3. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

tough luck with the pyramids. Looks like the Oracle at least is in the box.
    Rex up!

4. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Very well. I'll pick this up tonight (though it'll delay the launching of Meatball I).

Does anyone know what happens if we complete Oracle and CoL on the same turn? I'm thinking it'll work in our favor because tech splashes always come first, but I don't want to chance it on a feeling. Anything more concrete?

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

you can try, and if it doesn't works out, reload! :p

6. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

If you finish them both on the same turn, COL is done first, and you chose a tech from the Oracle afterwards.

7. Rex Tyrannus

Okay, for me that was a quick set. I'll start with the save and write the report lickitty darn split.

BRB

8. Rex Tyrannus

Much enter-pushing occured during my set, but that's okay. I needed quick/boring tonight. Let's look at the save.

Well, then, somebody likes their settlers. Three in production? Do we have room to put them? Maybe. We'll let 'em finish.

At the start of 235 BC, the Venerable Bede shows up about 800 years early with the most useless stat ever.

But that's okay, because the tension of an Oracle slingshot is keeping me entertained. A little micromanagement sets both to finish on the same turn. Let's see if Munterpipe was right.

We hit the big enter key in the sky and usher in 220 BC. The first message:

Guess they have brains in Norway after all. Hmmm. What's next.

Right on target, MP. Good job. now, let's see what we get for our slingshot.

(choice)

Odd. I've never had the choice. Well, Macemen are as useless here as a Baptist prom date, so I founded Taoism.

Then there was much enter-pressing. Whack yer anykey, Delmer! All the way to 145 BC when I settle Lahore in the only tile possible.

On my last turn, this dude shows up.

I left him with his movement for this turn. I also left a settler with movement over on the Western front. One more annoying bit, I set a worker on a long go-to to Lahore. Phffbbbt!

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Nice work on the Oracle, but frankly ... Lahore is questionable, IMO. The English is already at their second culture ring, going on for their third. It is also beig squeezed on three sides by the Americans. Fortunately, the Florida bikinis and disneycuties didn't damage your head too much, you still have the sense to use the free missionary on Lahore :goodjob:. Even then, I suspect the next player will see a "English revolution in Lahore' within his turn set.

--

10. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

If that is the case - you better get lots of military over there fast and check the 'chance to revolt' in the city screen.

11. Rex Tyrannus

I agree that Lahore is crap. But the only instructions left to me were to send the settler over by the Americans and squeeze in diagonally. That was litterally the only tile available.

We had one settler and two being built with no places to put them.

What else should I have done?

12. FoolontheHill

FoolontheHill Head Stooge

Nice Philosophy swingshot! Glad that worked out. Lahore will be a challenge, but maybe not hopeless. If we can get some units there and get a couple of culture buildings going it will at least help put pressure on Boston.

13. Rex Tyrannus

BTW, something I didn't mention. Our economy is starting to dive. You can see in the Taoism shot above that Theology was due in 20. Granted, that was at 100% research. However, in the Lahore shot, you can see that I had turned it down to 60% and research time went up to 27. By the time my set ended, we had 49 turns left on Theology.

Too many cities! Not enough infrastructure!

14. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

I wouldn't worry to much about our economy at the moment. We've got our cities up, and we will need to start building up culture in them. Our capital should do the missionaries, and the border cities on focus on culture buildings.
    When we grab land, and cities start to flip, we can place more cities to apply more cultural pressure. Why don't we for caste system soon and start spawning those great artists? Can we still build the parthenon?
    Munterpipe
    Rex Tyrannus placed the taoist holy city perfectly!
    Foolonthehill
    GreyFox is UP!
    Atlas on deck.
    Xerol

15. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

That great prophet can either be used for lightbulbing theology, OR, for a shrine. We'll need to discuss that.
    And there's one settler ready on a location which I quite like, and our Last, for now, is ready next turn, to go down south, below Mongolian borders.
    And why haven't anybody told me that technology trading is disabled!?

16. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

:eek: Iam UP??? :eek:

Okay. Got It. Play tomorrow. (Thankfully, its national holiday here tomorrow).

@rex: how abt not settling???? :lol:

17. Xerol

Xerol Chieftain

Yes, lightbulb Theology. That should give Lahore a chance to push some borders back, plus we'll probably end up with lots of prophets eventually, and building a shrine now probably wouldn't help us too much (I can't see us getting more than 5 extra GPT at the moment).

Did we get Alphabet yet?

18. Munterpipe

Munterpipe Clums

nope (ten char)

19. Rex Tyrannus

Yeah, I saw that I couldn't make any trades. I then checked to see if it were disabled. It is not. Ergo, no alphabet.

20. Xerol

Xerol Chieftain

Some things we need to do:
    1) Culture up our existing cities. Divine Right is a long way away, so we can concentrate on things like Literature, Music, and Drama right now, especially the free artist from Music.
    2) Get some boats out. We can probably go around a few borders by sea, and we should also explore our northern area. (For all we know, we might've missed a few huts up there as well.)
    3) Spread religions.
    4) Fix the economy. Our cities, after finishing initial culture buildings (if any), should be building courthouses. We should also think about moving our palace or at least start considering the FP location - more culture near the front and less distance maintenance. (I think moving the palace might actually be a viable move in a situation like this.)
    5) Backfill those lands to our north.

After that's done, we can take an assessment of our Land requirements, and see where to go from there. It might be a good idea to simply pop our artist in a place that'll let us settle another city closer to an AI. We also need to get an Artist Farm up ASAP.