1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cultural victory but war

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by jska, Nov 19, 2016.

1. jska

jska Chieftain

Hello.
    I try a cultural Victory for the second time on level 6.
    All goes well, until one or two civ suddenly declare war against me around round 110, send their armies and take my capital. I do not have enough army to defend. And that's it.
    Is there tricks to prevent war declarations from others civs ? How do you do to avoid this ?

Thank you !

2. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

This is fairly typical behaviour by the AI. As far as I know, the ways to prevent this are mainly two:

1. always make sure you have a reasonably sized army -- the AI will target those who have a military weakness. You can tell by looking at the stats if you are below average in military. If you are, that is a danger sign. Make sure you build enough units to defend yourself, and prioritise building Archers / Composite Bows / Crossbows. These are much more effective in defence than other types of unit. It is more easy to fight off an invasion than you might think.

2. if you have neighbours who are likely to attack you (they are typical warmongers, like Attila or Shaka, or the diplomacy screens show that they covet your lands) then bribe them to declare war on someone else. Some of them will quite happily fight another AI for a few gold per turn and a Lux for 30 turns. In many cases it is better to go into unhappiness from losing a Lux than to risk being attacked by a large army.

It is also often worth spending gold to get a City State ally. If you have neglected your army, you can effectively double or triple its size immediately by making a CS ally with some good troops. I have seen CS allies take down enemy cities and raze them to the ground -- which is good, because you do not get the warmonger penalty for doing so.

There is probably something else I have forgotten.

3. jska

jska Chieftain

Thank you !
    You are right, I do not have built a descent army...I will make more on next game.

Concerning CS, I had a CS allied when I was attacked first. They were close to me, and immediatly declared war to my opponent but....didn't hrlp me.
    I thinkif they think the opponent is too strong they will do nothing to defend their ally.

4. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

The CS will protect its own territory first, and I *think* -- though I may be wrong -- that they cannot move into your territory, even if they are allies. I would have to check that, but if it is true it would mean that they couldn't protect you if they were on the wrong side of your territory.

And by the way, a good route to a Cultural victory is by conquest. It will reduce the Cultural output of opponents, and if you capture Wonders, it will increase your own.

5. noto2

noto2 Emperor

City states can definitely move into your territory as allies, and you could theoretically luck out as they defend your lands. Fat chance of that happening, though. City states are nearly useless as wartime allies, never expect them to do anything useful or valuable.

6. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

OK, thanks for the clarification -- my memory was shaky on that detail. I'm a *bit* less pessimistic about them helping, though. I remember one Deity game when one of them rescued me from certain defeat, and I've seen them raze enemy cities. Sure, I wouldn't depend on getting much help from them, but some is better than nothing if you are desperate.

7. noto2

noto2 Emperor

Oh they can capture enemy cities (they don't raze them), they're just not organized enough to defend your land, nor are they programmed to.

8. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

My memory must be creaky -- I thought I had seen them raze cities. But I have played with mods at various times, so it might have been with a modded game.

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

City States can capture cities, and will keep them if they have sufficient happiness (which is rare) or if the city can't be razed (original capital, holy city or CS). So, in many, but not all, cases you will CSs raze cities they conquer.

10. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

Thanks for the clarification -- I was semi-convinced I had seen City States raze AI cities, but my memory is bad enough these days that I don't altogether trust it.

11. noto2

noto2 Emperor

Hmm, that's not my experience. I've seen city states capture dozens of cities, never remember seeing them raze any.

12. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

I've won countless games surviving with very little military just by bribing AIs to attack each other. You just have to be careful doing this though, that one AI doesn't swallow another AI and then become double the size. Then you'll have an even bigger problem to deal with.