1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cultural victory too fast?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by gozon, Feb 24, 2019.

1. gozon

gozon Chieftain

I was playing as French Eleanor today, just to see how many cities can I take with the loyalty ability. At turn ~190, I was 5 turns away from converting a city from Canada and the Netherlands each. It turns out, however, I was only 2 turns away from winning a cultural victory. I was not min-maxing by any means, maybe building a few more wonders than usual (as France), and occasionally chop to accelerate wonders. It definitely surprised me how fast I made the victory, even before computers/flight/Pingala's 3rd tier promotion, etc. My earlier game as Maori also achieved culture victory well before the 4th tier government.

Comparing with another game where I tried to win science victory with Inca, science victories definitely felt like a drag (350+ turns, with some min-maxing). I've also seen people complain that diplomatic victory games also tend to be lengthy.

So my question is, is cultural victory too easy in GS, or I'm just too bad at science victories? I was playing on King difficulty for all games I mentioned, and I'm sure things will take longer in higher difficulties as well.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

I pretty much only did CV and SV in pre-GS days (this will probably continue unless they patch DV to not take forever), and in R&F, I generally achieved my cultural victory earlier than I would get science victories, for sure. I think this difference is even larger now; science takes longer due to having to do the deep space thing but it's easier than ever to get tourism... it seems there are many new sources of it.

ggmoyang likes this.
  3. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

My CVs are usually later but that's because I always find a million things to build before theatre squares. Always afraid I will lag behind too much in science/gold/units and someone will come and burn my theatres to the ground...

Avenger237 likes this.
  4. gozon

gozon Chieftain

Yeah, I had theater squares in every city (I did prioritize campuses in some cities, though), and as Canada is my neighbor I didn't bother too much with units.

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

A CV is only fast if you want it to be, it is your game.
    When they announced Eleanor I did say the ability comes too late to be of use for a fast victory... and this is very true, playing a game with her now, at T120 with 200 tourism, it will not be too long to win and I currently have Brazil’s capital surrounded with no chance of flipping it purely with writers.

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Culture victory comes too easily without specifically trying to go for it - it's pretty much impossible to accidentally get any of the other victories (except maybe religious if you're conquering a lot).

7. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Most games end before tier 4 governments I'm sure...
    It's actually harder and slower than in RnF by quite a bit (instead of 1200 now 1600 tourism/tourist per Victoria, computers nerf), so not sure why you find it the other way round. Personally I'd say 20 turns later in my own play.

8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

And I thought they said they were making the victories take longer in GS. Cultural victory appears not to have been substantially modified. It's a piece of cake to win a cultural victory as the Maori I find.

9. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Cultural victory should take longer due to computers nerf. Eleanor isn't really that good either.

Looks like you just played the game well and the AI had a bad game tbh....

10. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Cultural is definitely the fastest victory now (well, discounting religious at least). Doesn't feel like it scales in the same way that science does after the future era addition. It ought to be extended as well somehow. Maybe just nerfing tourism yields across the board a bit would help

11. Susikoira

Susikoira Chieftain

I've never played for a CV and was a bit surprised as you said it is easy. How you do it?
    I play on deity and normally at least other civ attacks you in ancient era -> you build units and fight back. If you win, you probably can take most of their cities. BUT.. then you are already a bit behind in science.. a couple on campuses.. workers. I usually get the SV (if any).. sometimes domination if playing on a smaller map.
    Do you start game someway differently or what should I do to get a CV?

12. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Culture victory has always been the fastest and easiest besides domination imo.

13. BTSeven7

BTSeven7 Chieftain

The AI is just slow at culture so winnning with 110 and sometimes less tourists is a bit too easy.

Sometimes I have to turn off CV if I am going for SV. Haven’t done DV but would imagine I might have to turn it off for that.

I bet if you add Gorgo, Pericles, Peter and Mvemba on Diety it would get a bit more difficult.

14. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

So you would normally get between about -9 to -18% for different governments at tier 2. They have now removed this and made all different tier governments -20%
    As a lot of fast CV's happen before a tier 3 government the CV has become faster.
    They have no modified anything else early but spread computers around a bit and buffed musicians and added rock stars... so early CV's are a little fast and later CV's can be a lot faster of you want.
    Finally! ... Eleanor can be fun but she's not really good in my eyes either.