[R&F] Cultural victory without any great work

7daysofwar

Warlord
Do you think it is possible to get cultural victory without any great work (so no great works of writing, art, artfacts, music or relics) if I use a civ that has a culture improvement (like Persia, Mapuche, France, China, Sumeria or Egypt) and build lots of wonders, seasideresorts and national parks?

I believe the game mechanic has done this with Cyrus in his A-W challenge using the improvement and seaside resorts. No holy sites either and he did this on deity too.

Civs like Mapuche and Persia can do it. I almost did it in my Mapuche game, but I put even more stringent requirements on myself, I didn't build any seaside resorts or national parks either. It's quite hard to do it without those. It was only a King game, but couldn't compete against Kongo culture. I just spammed Cheamamulls everywhere along with city parks to increase appeal (and Eiffel Tower of course). I was hurt a little bit by deserts having such poor appeal. I would think America could possibly do it as well, but you'd need good faith production.

Yes I believe it is possible. Of course this is relative to your competition. You will have to be really good at your culture game.

However if your getting your culture buildings up quickly. You will be getting great works. Are you trying not to get them?

Do you think it is possible to get cultural victory without any great work (so no great works of writing, art, artfacts, music or relics) if I use a civ that has a culture improvement (like Persia, Mapuche, France, China, Sumeria or Egypt) and build lots of wonders, seasideresorts and national parks?

I believe the game mechanic has done this with Cyrus in his A-W challenge using the improvement and seaside resorts. No holy sites either and he did this on deity too.

A bit easier on Small Maps against 5 AI.
He certainly had a Religion and Holy Sites all over his lands.
As usual your settings are going to make a big difference.
Maybe I am watching the wrong Cyrus game though.

Last edited:
A bit easier on Small Maps against 5 AI.
He certainly had a Religion and Holy Sites all over his lands.
As usual your settings are going to make a big difference.
Maybe I am watching the wrong Cyrus game though.

Nope, this is the correct game that he got the win with.

I have got over 2k tourism from resorts, I have played many science CV’s, rarely a theatre in sight.
The advantage of pushing campuses rather than theatres is you get to computing faster and also you are getting there via sailing so you can get your settlers on the waves earlier, those desert islands make great resort complexes. If your resorts are not enough, race to Eiffel and chop it in, resort heaven.
Naturally clearing your mines and planting trees would have already been done.

This is a fun and different victory, try it.

A small update, I actually did it with Egypt (on King difficulty and a small continent map), Those sphinxes actually helped me getting a decent faith generation and increasing the appeal of those tiles and I didn't know he Eiffel tower was so good for it since I normally never build it, Thank you for the help ^^. (Don't know if I should have attached some pictures of my game).

I didn't know he Eiffel tower was so good for it since I normally never build it,
Yes, the Eiffel not only increases the tourism by 2 of every resort you have, it also makes so many more sites available as resorts. In my view it is better than Cristo, which is what you aim for if still in trouble.
No need for pics, the pleasure is in the creators eyes. I love my resort games.

Yes, the Eiffel not only increases the tourism by 2 of every resort you have, it also makes so many more sites available as resorts. In my view it is better than Cristo, which is what you aim for if still in trouble.
No need for pics, the pleasure is in the creators eyes. I love my resort games.

I always tought Eiffel only raised the appeal of the tiles surrounding the tower so I a probarly building the Eiffel Tower more in my cultural games ^^. (I actually like cultural victories more but I hate going for a religion for it so this would help me more).

I have got over 2k tourism from resorts, I have played many science CV’s, rarely a theatre in sight.
The advantage of pushing campuses rather than theatres is you get to computing faster and also you are getting there via sailing so you can get your settlers on the waves earlier, those desert islands make great resort complexes. If your resorts are not enough, race to Eiffel and chop it in, resort heaven.
Naturally clearing your mines and planting trees would have already been done.

This is a fun and different victory, try it.

Does this mean that the Civics tree is essentially "ignored"? Don't you need certain policy cards and governments?

Does this mean that the Civics tree is essentially "ignored"? Don't you need certain policy cards and governments?
Nope, computers is only 25% of tourism now. If you can really hammer science to get both Radio and Steel you really need nothing else although planting trees does come in handy. Every tree is at least one tourism point but can be the difference between a resort and a pebbly beach.
You do need a lot of beachfront but that is not hard with a tech lead

I'll link a reddit post that shows 7.2k tourism from one city, only with national parks.

As the poster explains this was done by firetuning the terrain, but this still shows how stacking Golden Gate Bridge and tile appeal bonuses can be ridiculous.

What do you think about spending faith for? Rock bands or naturalists?

Top Bottom