Cultural Warmonger as Songhai?

Y.O.

Warlord
So I've been thinking of going a war\culture generation route with Songhai, since the Tabaya can assist in generating culture if you're near a large river. So far, the idea is to go Authority, then Aesthetics, but I'm having difficulty thinking of the last policy, and what ideology would be best. Rationalism allows me to stay on the cutting edge with my army, while Industry allows me to crank out units and buy units. As for ideology, I figured Order would give me the best of both worlds, in terms of culture and fighting.

Any tips?

Tabya's Culture doesn't scale much and usually isn't applicable in all cities, I'd say that Denmark and Greece are probably going to be better at mixing Culture/warmongering, maybe Japan too. It's a nice boost early though and can help you get stuff like Oracle which is useful for keeping the cultural edge.

How come people start a game with thesis how they are gonna play. You have to adjust your play to conditions around you. If you start a game and already know you're going to take order, that's a good way for losing strategy.

However - if you have early culture generator (tabya), progress+piety/aes+industry is always the way to go.

Progress and Authority are both great options, depending on how your terrain looks. If you have bordering city-states, an easy AI neighbor or no neighbors at all, go for authority. If you have some decent land to expand to and think you can get away with it, go for progress.
I've even ran Tradition Songhai, it's not even as bad as it sounds.

But in general, infidel88 is absolutely right, you can definitely go into a game with a strategy in mind, but you should really keep it fluid, adjusting your strategy after the game, not the game after your strategy.

So I've been thinking of going a war\culture generation route with Songhai, since the Tabaya can assist in generating culture if you're near a large river. So far, the idea is to go Authority, then Aesthetics, but I'm having difficulty thinking of the last policy, and what ideology would be best. Rationalism allows me to stay on the cutting edge with my army, while Industry allows me to crank out units and buy units. As for ideology, I figured Order would give me the best of both worlds, in terms of culture and fighting.

Any tips?
Besides these sound advices, the third tier of policies will depend on what you achieve. If you empire is happy, more or less well developed with many villages and towns and you don't plan on further conquests, then Rationalism. If you want to keep up the fight, you have enough and well trained units, but you are struggling to maintain the infrastructure, then Industrialism will get your buildings built and your budget full. If you want to keep fighting but your army sucks in comparison, want to focus on domination or you end up with many island cities and farms, then Imperialism.

Going from Authority to Aesthetics is a little weird if you are not Japan, it calls for crippling wars. That is, most of your fights are for pillaging (Songhai excels at pillaging) and making other civs waist resources, not for conquer. You may conquer one or two civs, just for the fun (and their wonders). Long wars and overexpansion hurt happiness, and aesthetics has a policy that turn excess happiness into culture but doesn't help in being happier (intended for smaller and well developed civs). But if you don't keep killing things, Authority will yield lower culture and science than Progress.
In the case you end up conquering early those 2-3 civs (by standard size) and then stay of middle size pushing your culture up, and fighting here and there to remove competition but without further conquests, I'd say you'll continue better into Industrialism and Order.
Take down first the civs that have higher tourism output and you'll get advantage fighting the others (they'll be easily influenced and you get a bonus when fighting influenced civs). Also you will be able to focus on tourism uncontested.

EDIT: Going Tradition is a thing you might consider if you don't have too much place to expand or want to leave the conquests for later (when you can make use of your unique unit). It will give many great people that will yield even more thanks to Aesthetics. But you won't be working many ground tiles late game.

Last edited:
I found it actually to be negative if you generate a lot of culture as a conqueror (at least if you go for full domination).
The reason for this outrageus statement is the war weariness mechanic. Once you get a ideology, you will be hit by WW - and, if you fight a lot, this will be much more than even the ideology happiness tenets can overcome.
I try to avoid getting a Ideology by now, if I am on the conquest route.

I found it actually to be negative if you generate a lot of culture as a conqueror (at least if you go for full domination).
The reason for this outrageus statement is the war weariness mechanic. Once you get a ideology, you will be hit by WW - and, if you fight a lot, this will be much more than even the ideology happiness tenets can overcome.
I try to avoid getting a Ideology by now, if I am on the conquest route.

I definitely experienced this. I did a playthrough with Songhai, but kept all the advice given in this thread in-mind. The WW was so crippling that I scrambled to go a peaceful route after a while. Order doesn't really have anything to stop it from adding up, especially if you end up in long wars against multiple Civs. I ended up warring against Korea and Persia and I never wanted to end a war so fast. Didn't finish the playthrough, but playing with Japan sounds fun, so I'm going to see how that works.

Top Bottom